GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Water cooling - anyone?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/05/05 at 08:23
Regular
Recently being setting up the servers for our business and have been using the Lian-Li V2100 cases (sooooo sweet) and it has spurred me on to either get one of these case and a water cooling system or a Vapochill case. I mentioned this a while back in a thread and I am sure someone said they had used a Vapochill case before on a system.

Basically I am wanting to know what would be the best option.

If I went with the Lian-Li and the Water cooling system I have had my eye on I am looking at £210 for the case and then £250 on the system. If I go with the Vapochill setup I am looking at around £520 for the Vapochill case. The difference in spondooleys is irrelevant, I just want the best setup for the rig that I have.

Anyone on here got any (useful) advice on this?

Muchos.
Tue 10/05/05 at 17:49
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Wish I could throw money around like you.
Tue 10/05/05 at 15:25
Regular
I think at the point of the water leaking my balls would have swollen to the size of Lisa Riley's breasts and I would be sweating like a wh*re.

Leakage, balls, breasts, random people may be deceived by such an innocent thread.

I am going to give it a crack though, built a c*ck load of systems with different setups etc, natual way forward is to spoil a £2500 PC with water :D
Tue 10/05/05 at 14:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
When i first set up my water cooling it developed a small leak at the CPU socket and made the graphics card go screwy. I dried the card with a hair drier and it worked fine again.

Im blessed with second chances it seems. Also you could always buy me a vapochill, i will test it out and tell you how i get on. ;)
Tue 10/05/05 at 13:56
Regular
I bought a water cooling kit before I got my FX53 but didn't have the ba*ls to implement it in case of the water leaking out, if it does you are pretty much screwed.

Had a look last night at the Vapochil and I think I will give it a miss, there is way too much that can go wrong and they still require you to buy a seperate VGA water cooling kitmto do the graphics card which is crazy for that money.

Ultimately I would like to know the failure rate of water cooling and the chances of it funning up. My experience with water is that it ALWAYS finds a way out, it's tough to trap.
Tue 10/05/05 at 09:37
Vapochill and the phase change technology scares me a bit. If you see the containers that isolate the point of heat contact with the CPU, you'll see it takes up a good chunk of space, possibly isolating wires or whatever from the mobo. Not to mention the freezing is actually rather noisy.

Watercooling is more portable, especially for normal sized ATX cases; you can hold a reservoir + pump in each casing, and link it from there to a fan. If something goes wrong, it's far easier to fix it yourself with watercooling than the other option.
Mon 09/05/05 at 15:33
Regular
Cheers.

Will wait til I get in from work, see if anyone on the forums has any advice. Had a quick scan through the guide on the site and it looks pretty straight forward but obviously if anything goes wrong you are completely screwed. Might by worth getting the Abit AX8, the Lian-Li case and the heatsink/fan I wanted if it wasn't for the restrictions of the AV8.
Mon 09/05/05 at 13:32
Regular
I thought this was gonna be another WoW thread.
Mon 09/05/05 at 13:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
It doesnt use water it uses a refrigerant, i think the LS and mach II use r404a. I would recommend you read up on it a bit more before you make your final decision, the vapochill forums and phase change cooling forum on xtremesystems is a good place to find out what you are letting yourself in for. ;)
Mon 09/05/05 at 12:55
Regular
It does, a £600 CPU - it scares me.

Does the Vapochil use Water or is it like a fridge with temperature control? Seems like really good idea, especially if it does the Graphics Card as well which one of them does.

Money not an issue, safety is though, really don't want to screw this rig up.
Mon 09/05/05 at 12:35
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Im using water cooling at the moment but ive been looking at phase change cooling for a little while now. Theoretically it will give you the best overclocking results possible, but depending on your luck with how far the CPU will go results will differ.

I would say if the thought of rigging up a fridge to your CPU doesnt scare you, then go for it. Also get the Vapo LS if you want to go down that route, it's super sexy, or get a prometeia II with the silver lian li side panels.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.