GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How long will Chess last?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/05/01 at 02:32
Regular
Chess is brilliant, but when will the world get bored of it, or have we already? Well I haven't that's for sure!
Chess is something that at first site doesn't look overly interesting, and yet when you get to know how to play and more importantly how to win in many different ways, you'll find that you could be playing for hours on end without noticing the time fly by. So no, it isn't the most energetic of games to play, but as far as tactical knowledge and mental capacity go, this is a very testing game to play.

To learn the game it is best to play against an experienced player, rather than sifting through a 300 page rule book. So you're not likely to win, but I'm sure the experienced play would drag the game out a bit longer to help you learn how to play and advance in level of skill and ability. With around 5 or 6 games you should be fairly confident of the rules and of how to set up the board! It's a time consuming game to play, but dating back thousands of years, Chess is definitely one of the most interesting and longest lasting games of all time.

I'm not bad at the game, although when you watch, should you have the patience and the time to fill, the top players on television you will see that some moves they perform and the tactics they employ are quite impressive, should you have the appreciation for that sort of thing. You may remember when a player took on a computer and thankfully won after a very long period of time, spanning a good few hours - that actually received very high ratings indeed!

So you play with a board and pieces. There're 64 squares on the board and 16 pieces each: 8 pawns, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2 knights and a king and queen. You're either black or white, with the white piece player having and all important first go: pawns can move forward 1 space other than in their first move where 2 is possible and can be exchanged for pieces the opposition has captured from you when you reach the very back line of the oppositions half. Pawns can knock off another player in a diagonal 1 space only move. The pawns are essential, and are your first line of attack, but it doesn't matter if one becomes knocked off and out of play.

Next up in importance are the Knights who can move in L shapes and move over other pieces as long as they land in the space where the L shape finishes. Knights, the horse like looking pieces can move backwards as well as forwards and are always a crafty piece to have, as the opponent doesn't always notice them - many a time I have acquired their queen through use of a Knight. Knights look like horses, and are placed next to the rooks on the back line 1 square in.

Rooks are my favourite piece, I know that may seem daft, but they're strong, can do the switching move with a King and move any number of spaces in a straight line - an important attacking and defensive piece, and looks like a castle kind of figure. It's not always as obvious as you may think when attacking an opponent - there must be a clear run if you're to take an opponent's piece. I.e. the rook cannot climb over other pieces. Rooks are great!!

Bishops, the pieces that have an element of mystery about them are the 3rd most important pieces, and a very powerful capture and mover. They can move in diagonals only, as many spaces as they like but forwards and backwards. Bishops used to scare me as a child, the real people in churches, so I don't really have a soft spot for bishops, if that makes any sense at all. Rooks are better in my view! They just look like taller versions of pawns, depending on the style of set you have.

The King, the most important piece - this is the guy you have to protect from become in check mate, making you lose the game, he can only move 1 space, but in any direction, and so you shouldn't lead him into the attack, nor can you put him into a check mate position. Once in check (when an opposition piece can attack you on the next go) you must move your piece out of the way, or bring another in to defend it. Either way, once in check mate your out of the game! By the way, the King often looks similar to the Queen, just so you know the King is slightly shorter.

The Queen, the prime mover in your game of chess - she pulls the strings, can move in any direction for any number of spaces - naturally she can't move in an L shape. The queen is the most influential piece, so don't let her get captured!

Ok, so have fun playing chess, I've tried teaching my son, but he's not all that interested yet - I hope my review wasn't too long!

Chess sets have also included, far from the traditional sets, you can get Simpsons chess, Star Wars Chess, South Park chess - but the best are the really nice glass chess sets. Very impressive and a nice display thing too!
Tue 29/05/01 at 02:32
Chess is brilliant, but when will the world get bored of it, or have we already? Well I haven't that's for sure!
Chess is something that at first site doesn't look overly interesting, and yet when you get to know how to play and more importantly how to win in many different ways, you'll find that you could be playing for hours on end without noticing the time fly by. So no, it isn't the most energetic of games to play, but as far as tactical knowledge and mental capacity go, this is a very testing game to play.

To learn the game it is best to play against an experienced player, rather than sifting through a 300 page rule book. So you're not likely to win, but I'm sure the experienced play would drag the game out a bit longer to help you learn how to play and advance in level of skill and ability. With around 5 or 6 games you should be fairly confident of the rules and of how to set up the board! It's a time consuming game to play, but dating back thousands of years, Chess is definitely one of the most interesting and longest lasting games of all time.

I'm not bad at the game, although when you watch, should you have the patience and the time to fill, the top players on television you will see that some moves they perform and the tactics they employ are quite impressive, should you have the appreciation for that sort of thing. You may remember when a player took on a computer and thankfully won after a very long period of time, spanning a good few hours - that actually received very high ratings indeed!

So you play with a board and pieces. There're 64 squares on the board and 16 pieces each: 8 pawns, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2 knights and a king and queen. You're either black or white, with the white piece player having and all important first go: pawns can move forward 1 space other than in their first move where 2 is possible and can be exchanged for pieces the opposition has captured from you when you reach the very back line of the oppositions half. Pawns can knock off another player in a diagonal 1 space only move. The pawns are essential, and are your first line of attack, but it doesn't matter if one becomes knocked off and out of play.

Next up in importance are the Knights who can move in L shapes and move over other pieces as long as they land in the space where the L shape finishes. Knights, the horse like looking pieces can move backwards as well as forwards and are always a crafty piece to have, as the opponent doesn't always notice them - many a time I have acquired their queen through use of a Knight. Knights look like horses, and are placed next to the rooks on the back line 1 square in.

Rooks are my favourite piece, I know that may seem daft, but they're strong, can do the switching move with a King and move any number of spaces in a straight line - an important attacking and defensive piece, and looks like a castle kind of figure. It's not always as obvious as you may think when attacking an opponent - there must be a clear run if you're to take an opponent's piece. I.e. the rook cannot climb over other pieces. Rooks are great!!

Bishops, the pieces that have an element of mystery about them are the 3rd most important pieces, and a very powerful capture and mover. They can move in diagonals only, as many spaces as they like but forwards and backwards. Bishops used to scare me as a child, the real people in churches, so I don't really have a soft spot for bishops, if that makes any sense at all. Rooks are better in my view! They just look like taller versions of pawns, depending on the style of set you have.

The King, the most important piece - this is the guy you have to protect from become in check mate, making you lose the game, he can only move 1 space, but in any direction, and so you shouldn't lead him into the attack, nor can you put him into a check mate position. Once in check (when an opposition piece can attack you on the next go) you must move your piece out of the way, or bring another in to defend it. Either way, once in check mate your out of the game! By the way, the King often looks similar to the Queen, just so you know the King is slightly shorter.

The Queen, the prime mover in your game of chess - she pulls the strings, can move in any direction for any number of spaces - naturally she can't move in an L shape. The queen is the most influential piece, so don't let her get captured!

Ok, so have fun playing chess, I've tried teaching my son, but he's not all that interested yet - I hope my review wasn't too long!

Chess sets have also included, far from the traditional sets, you can get Simpsons chess, Star Wars Chess, South Park chess - but the best are the really nice glass chess sets. Very impressive and a nice display thing too!
Tue 29/05/01 at 14:19
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Tue 29/05/01 at 20:08
Wow. Chess. Battlechess was quite good actually! And fair enough, a post about chess. Hmm
Thu 31/05/01 at 13:06
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
eib wrote:
> zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My sentiments exactly, chess is all well and good in short bursts but it really can become extremely tedious..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.