GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Piracy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/05/01 at 10:03
Regular
I think this is in the right forum and i couldnt find anything about not posting piracy discussions sp here goes, do you think piracy is good or bad?
Mon 28/05/01 at 10:03
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
I think this is in the right forum and i couldnt find anything about not posting piracy discussions sp here goes, do you think piracy is good or bad?
Mon 28/05/01 at 11:17
Regular
I'll pop my topic from a few days ago and you can have a read.
Mon 28/05/01 at 11:39
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I don't know, it's not that bad is it? I mean, it doesn't happen so much anymore anyway. You'd never get away with it for a start. Your ship can be tracked with sattelite location systems, and anyone who sees the Jolly Roger flag flying high on your ship will head the other way. With sails instead of engines, the pirates aren't likely to catch up, either.

Any vessel with merchandise worth stealing will be guarded, too. You'll never get anywhere with a bunch of cutlasses.

Piracy isn't a problem nowadays, it's just not profitable any more.
Mon 28/05/01 at 11:45
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I got to 'Your ship......' then relised you were extracting the urine :D
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:14
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
VenomByte wrote:
> I don't know, it's not that bad is it? I mean, it doesn't happen so
> much anymore anyway. You'd never get away with it for a start. Your
> ship can be tracked with sattelite location systems, and anyone who
> sees the Jolly Roger flag flying high on your ship will head the
> other way. With sails instead of engines, the pirates aren't likely
> to catch up, either.

Any vessel with merchandise worth stealing
> will be guarded, too. You'll never get anywhere with a bunch of
> cutlasses.

Piracy isn't a problem nowadays, it's just not
> profitable any more.

Yeah thats very funny and all, but what makes you say it isnt profitable, when pirate games are thriving at the maket where we live.
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
VenomByte wrote:
> I don't know, it's not that bad is it? I mean, it doesn't happen so
> much anymore anyway. You'd never get away with it for a start. Your
> ship can be tracked with sattelite location systems, and anyone who
> sees the Jolly Roger flag flying high on your ship will head the
> other way. With sails instead of engines, the pirates aren't likely
> to catch up, either.

Any vessel with merchandise worth stealing
> will be guarded, too. You'll never get anywhere with a bunch of
> cutlasses.

Piracy isn't a problem nowadays, it's just not
> profitable any more.

Yeah thats very funny and all, but what makes you say it isnt profitable, when pirate games are thriving at the market where we live.
Mon 28/05/01 at 16:15
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Sorry didnt mean to post that twice.
Mon 28/05/01 at 19:56
Regular
It is thanks to pirates, at least in part, that all software is so expensive. What is the point? Piracy destroys the gaming industry and puts small publishers out of buisness!
Mon 28/05/01 at 20:28
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
PinkPig wrote:
> It is thanks to pirates, at least in part, that all software is so
> expensive. What is the point? Piracy destroys the gaming industry
> and puts small publishers out of buisness!

Yeah but it gives consumers a chance to buy new games at good prices.
Mon 28/05/01 at 20:55
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Oh well. Time for 'my views on piracy' again (software piracy this time, honest).

Let's start with PC software piracy. I myself, have no quibbles with that. If developers are losing money from software being illegally copied, then that only sevres to highlight the way in which software is bought or sold.

In short, software licensing (could well be liscensing or licencing, I'm not too sure..) is a bad way to sell software, and cover overheads.

You are paying for a copy of something which is free to produce. My preferred option, would be for all software to be free, and developers costs covered by goverment grants to software houses. The size of the grant would be dependant on the customer feedback received, thus good software companies will make more money (in theory).

The effects of this system would be:
1) All sofware prices would effectively be dramatically reduced - no licensing to sort out, less complicated copyright argreements to arrange, no money spent against piracy, and so on.
2) People who crack games and supply illegal software over the net would be out of a job. These people highly skilled, and generally the sort who are likely to develop software if they're not breaking it.
3) True freedom of choice for the public, less constrained by capitalist issues.

Okay, this leaves console software piracy. Now, obviously the exact same system won't work, as you have a physical item in this case, instead I propose the following:

The games production industry be split into two sections.

One is responsible for the production and advertising of the software only. This section will be financed by a scheme similar to the one above.

The second section is responsible for the distribution of the hardware (eg cartridges, CD's). Software is not copy protected in any way, so people in this part of the industry are free to copy any game, and sell it at any price they wish. Effectively, they'd be doing what pirates do now, but with mass production, and no copy protection to worry about, they can obviously do it cheaper.

Overall result = cheaper software.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.