GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I MUST have it!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/05/01 at 17:40
Regular
Why is it, that we seem to always crave for something new?! Despite just getting 'Soul Calibur' for my Dreamcast, already I want something more, something bigger, something new...

Maybe it is the genre...fighting games have never really had the same one-player significance that we have through platformers and RPG's like Banjo and Skies of Arcadia...But on the other hand...Soul Calibur is regarded as one of the best and most innovative fighting games of all time with almost limitless modes including a one-player 'Mission Battle' mode where you can indulge in numerous stories revolving around your character and other tales about certain locations.

I can't seem to come to a conclusion...even non-fighting games like Banjo-Tooie have taken second places to the Pokémon games my brother plays...I just don't understand...

Maybe classics aren't 'classics' anymore....long gone are the days of the 2D mario that brought so much pleasure to gamers hearts....young and old alike...the gameplay could be fast and furious or slow...and peaceful...the balance between all the aspects of the games was, dare I say it, perfect....It wasn't just Mario, Sonic was the same...F Zero, Secret Of Mana...a very large number of old games...could provide hours upon hours upon hours of seemingly limitless, quality gameplay. Now graphics seem to have taken centre-stage.

I think that the main reason why we crave for so much more is because games nowadays aren't as satisfying as they were 'then'. Our demands as gamers have changed...we don't want another 'save the princess - defeat the evil dragon' fairytale...we want blood, horror and drama...action, adventure and suspense. It is a good job Nintendo jumped ship when they did...if they have blitzed E3 with Mario 128 some may have been amazed BUT the vast amount of casual gamers would have looked to Sony for the next Resident Evil...or the next Metal Gear... Customer demands are changing...in a world of Shenmue and Halo, there is no room for games that don't excite...and that is why I think we always crave for something new....

And hey, it isn't just software...look at the Game Boy Advance...It is about the same price as the Dreamcast yet....Shock Horror, I bet Nintendo sell about 4 times as many GBA's as Sega do Dreamcasts...if not more...the GBA games will be about the same price as a DC title...any 'man' in their right state of mind would pick Sonic 2 over Rayman Advance....but the chances are...people will be trading in their Dreamcasts to get a GBA half price...it is sad I know....but it's thr truth...public image means more now that it ever has...most children must have craved for an N64 but if Gazza, Bazza and Fred sneered at it and jumped for a Playstation why would little Johnny be any different....?!

With production of games taking much longer(on average taking into account the X-Box, Gamecube and PS2) developers will struggle to keep up...It can take 3 years to develop a games that can be completed in 3 days....a friend of mine completed Shenmue in 9 hours!

We all wan't csomething new...if we are all honest about it NONE of us would turn away a free PS2...maybe because we'd look cool by having one....maybe because it'd save us all about £400 to get a decent set-up...but overall, I think it is because we wan't something new...the PS2 is the newest console out...the games, although not yet revolutionary in all areas will be soon and the title numbers are on the increase.....

Think about it...what would you buy for £130? A Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 1&2, Chu Chu Rocket and a pad...

...or...

...a GBA with Tony Hawks and a free battery pack...

Most of us would say the latter...the GBA is a new, revoulutionary masterpiece with a good future, the Dreamcast?...I dying 'should have been' about to go out with a bang?!

We'll always want newer stuff....our generation seems to have rebuked the necessities that are history, heritage and tradition and ran for the glitzy packaging...I'd be very surprised if there was a GBA game at release that could compare to the 'brilliance' of Mario Bros 3...I really would...

Graphics are ALWAYS the first thing gamers look at....just as looks are the first thing a lad looks at when on the prowl for a lady-friend...

It's just the way things are...the future may look bright from where you're standing but if we continually want more games with new genres at a quicker rate surely this says something about the quality of the games...

Surely....
Sun 27/05/01 at 17:40
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Why is it, that we seem to always crave for something new?! Despite just getting 'Soul Calibur' for my Dreamcast, already I want something more, something bigger, something new...

Maybe it is the genre...fighting games have never really had the same one-player significance that we have through platformers and RPG's like Banjo and Skies of Arcadia...But on the other hand...Soul Calibur is regarded as one of the best and most innovative fighting games of all time with almost limitless modes including a one-player 'Mission Battle' mode where you can indulge in numerous stories revolving around your character and other tales about certain locations.

I can't seem to come to a conclusion...even non-fighting games like Banjo-Tooie have taken second places to the Pokémon games my brother plays...I just don't understand...

Maybe classics aren't 'classics' anymore....long gone are the days of the 2D mario that brought so much pleasure to gamers hearts....young and old alike...the gameplay could be fast and furious or slow...and peaceful...the balance between all the aspects of the games was, dare I say it, perfect....It wasn't just Mario, Sonic was the same...F Zero, Secret Of Mana...a very large number of old games...could provide hours upon hours upon hours of seemingly limitless, quality gameplay. Now graphics seem to have taken centre-stage.

I think that the main reason why we crave for so much more is because games nowadays aren't as satisfying as they were 'then'. Our demands as gamers have changed...we don't want another 'save the princess - defeat the evil dragon' fairytale...we want blood, horror and drama...action, adventure and suspense. It is a good job Nintendo jumped ship when they did...if they have blitzed E3 with Mario 128 some may have been amazed BUT the vast amount of casual gamers would have looked to Sony for the next Resident Evil...or the next Metal Gear... Customer demands are changing...in a world of Shenmue and Halo, there is no room for games that don't excite...and that is why I think we always crave for something new....

And hey, it isn't just software...look at the Game Boy Advance...It is about the same price as the Dreamcast yet....Shock Horror, I bet Nintendo sell about 4 times as many GBA's as Sega do Dreamcasts...if not more...the GBA games will be about the same price as a DC title...any 'man' in their right state of mind would pick Sonic 2 over Rayman Advance....but the chances are...people will be trading in their Dreamcasts to get a GBA half price...it is sad I know....but it's thr truth...public image means more now that it ever has...most children must have craved for an N64 but if Gazza, Bazza and Fred sneered at it and jumped for a Playstation why would little Johnny be any different....?!

With production of games taking much longer(on average taking into account the X-Box, Gamecube and PS2) developers will struggle to keep up...It can take 3 years to develop a games that can be completed in 3 days....a friend of mine completed Shenmue in 9 hours!

We all wan't csomething new...if we are all honest about it NONE of us would turn away a free PS2...maybe because we'd look cool by having one....maybe because it'd save us all about £400 to get a decent set-up...but overall, I think it is because we wan't something new...the PS2 is the newest console out...the games, although not yet revolutionary in all areas will be soon and the title numbers are on the increase.....

Think about it...what would you buy for £130? A Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 1&2, Chu Chu Rocket and a pad...

...or...

...a GBA with Tony Hawks and a free battery pack...

Most of us would say the latter...the GBA is a new, revoulutionary masterpiece with a good future, the Dreamcast?...I dying 'should have been' about to go out with a bang?!

We'll always want newer stuff....our generation seems to have rebuked the necessities that are history, heritage and tradition and ran for the glitzy packaging...I'd be very surprised if there was a GBA game at release that could compare to the 'brilliance' of Mario Bros 3...I really would...

Graphics are ALWAYS the first thing gamers look at....just as looks are the first thing a lad looks at when on the prowl for a lady-friend...

It's just the way things are...the future may look bright from where you're standing but if we continually want more games with new genres at a quicker rate surely this says something about the quality of the games...

Surely....
Sun 27/05/01 at 18:53
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
That is the first post that length I have been bothered to read. EXCELLENT. I would personally buy the Dreamcast eith the two games but hey, Thats just me. What would everyone else go for.
Sun 27/05/01 at 18:56
Regular
"You've upset me"
Hmmmm... I retract my former statement saying that Gronti's post will win GAD, this one will!
Sun 27/05/01 at 18:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
SHEEPY SHEEPY!
Sun 27/05/01 at 18:58
Regular
"You've upset me"
turbonutter wrote:
> SHEEPY SHEEPY!

Eh?!
Sun 27/05/01 at 19:02
Regular
"CYA GUYS"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> turbonutter wrote:
> SHEEPY SHEEPY!

Eh?!

Yeah...What was that about??!?!?!?!?!?!?
Sun 27/05/01 at 19:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
About who should win GAD
Sun 27/05/01 at 19:19
Regular
"You've upset me"
Oh right.

Well I don't think he SHOULD. His post certainly deserves to but it's not about gaming. Maybe a FAD instead. And that reminds me, SHeepy, that was a great post and it stated the truth. Makes you think really dunnit? The Earth was a beautiful place till man arrived. Then we just came and f***ed up it's beauty completely. Lets face it Mankind is a complete b******.
Sun 27/05/01 at 19:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I agree.
Sun 27/05/01 at 20:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Thanks Guys.....It is good to get some appreciation at times...especially with so new people...It means a lot...

Game

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.