GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Top 5 Movies of all time!!!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/05/01 at 14:00
Regular
I am going to compile a list of my favourite 5 movies of all time.Some of you may have your own opinions please reply to anything that u think shouldnt be there.I am going to write a small review on each film aswell.

5)The Untouchables
The critics and public agree. Brian De Palma's 'The Untouchables' is a must–see masterpiece – a glorious, fierce, larger-than-life depiction of the mob warlord who ruled Prohibition-era Chicago…and the law enforcer who vowed to bring him down.

This classic confrontation between good and evil stars Kevin Costner as federal agent Eliot Ness, Robert De Niro as gangland kingpin Al Capone and Sean Connery as Malone, the cop who teaches Ness how to beat the mob: shoot fast and shoot first!

4)White Men Can't Jump
Sidney Deane (Wesley Snipes) is the hottest basketball player on the streets of down-town Los Angeles, and each game he plays provides money as well as fame. Billy Hoyle (Woody Harrelson) wanders into Deane's game and a con partnership begins (Deane wakes up to the fact that drips like Hoyle are not as useless as they appear to be). They set out to play the field for the biggest stakes both on and off the court.
Written and directed by the master of the sport movie, Ron Shelton ('Bull Durham', 'Tin Cup' and 'Cobb'

3)The Green Mile
Sidney Deane (Wesley Snipes) is the hottest basketball player on the streets of down-town Los Angeles, and each game he plays provides money as well as fame. Billy Hoyle (Woody Harrelson) wanders into Deane's game and a con partnership begins (Deane wakes up to the fact that drips like Hoyle are not as useless as they appear to be). They set out to play the field for the biggest stakes both on and off the court.
Written and directed by the master of the sport movie, Ron Shelton ('Bull Durham', 'Tin Cup' and 'Cobb'
This film will capture you! The quality of acting by all of the cast is superb and this comes from a person who will avoid films if Tom Hanks is the star. I originally saw the film on cable and knew straight away that I would have to buy it. The Green Mile was heart warming, shocking, touching . . . the best film I have seen in a long time. The script, cast and cinematograpghy were fantastic - as good if not better than the Shawshank Redemption. Magical!

2)The Matrix
Set in a visually stunning futuristic world, 'The Matrix' is an explosive action thriller that explores the notion that everything we believe to be real is actually a computerised virtual world.

When Neo (Keanu Reeves) learns the disturbing truth, every move, every second, every thought becomes a fight to stay alive and escape The Matrix.Neo, a computer hacker learns this from Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), who also tells him that the Matrix uses humans as fuel as part of their quest for total domination.
But the humans are fighting back. Neo, Morpheus and Trinity (Carrie-Ann Moss) must battle for their lives against this viciously powerful cadre to find the answers they seek, to understand their own roles in the epic drama unfolding around them, to learn their true power, and to recognize their destinies.
What can be said about this film that hasn't been said already? The Matrix has set a wonderful example in the film industry that has spawned dozens of similar ideas, that it's now quite difficult to find discussions about new action or sci-fi films without comparing. Although the philosphy and the cyberpunk influence have been covered before in other films (Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, etc.) the way this film executed in such a stylish manner is what brought it into the mainstream. Combined with stunning visual effects and action, it's got something for everyone, and this DVD is definitely one to add to your collection.

1)Independance Day
Alien spaceships are hovering over major cities around the world and, at first, it is not known whether their intentions are good or evil. It soon becomes apparent that they are not friendly! Can the world be saved?
Now this is the one & only film that has ever left me breathless when watching it at the cinema. My reaction, after the aliens had blown away New York, Washington & Los Angeles was, 'That's only the end of the first day!?!' This film has it all, Action Humour, Sci-Fi, Heartbreak and much, much more. Jeff Goldblum & Will Smith are a great double act and should make more films together, I could just imagine what mayhem the dinosaurs in Jurassik Park would make of them, they would probably surrender. This may be a 'made for American's' movie, but it is still and always will be an excellent movie and one of my favourites.
Sun 27/05/01 at 14:00
I am going to compile a list of my favourite 5 movies of all time.Some of you may have your own opinions please reply to anything that u think shouldnt be there.I am going to write a small review on each film aswell.

5)The Untouchables
The critics and public agree. Brian De Palma's 'The Untouchables' is a must–see masterpiece – a glorious, fierce, larger-than-life depiction of the mob warlord who ruled Prohibition-era Chicago…and the law enforcer who vowed to bring him down.

This classic confrontation between good and evil stars Kevin Costner as federal agent Eliot Ness, Robert De Niro as gangland kingpin Al Capone and Sean Connery as Malone, the cop who teaches Ness how to beat the mob: shoot fast and shoot first!

4)White Men Can't Jump

3)The Green Mile
This film will capture you! The quality of acting by all of the cast is superb and this comes from a person who will avoid films if Tom Hanks is the star. I originally saw the film on cable and knew straight away that I would have to buy it. The Green Mile was heart warming, shocking, touching . . . the best film I have seen in a long time. The script, cast and cinematograpghy were fantastic - as good if not better than the Shawshank Redemption. Magical!

2)The Matrix
Set in a visually stunning futuristic world, 'The Matrix' is an explosive action thriller that explores the notion that everything we believe to be real is actually a computerised virtual world.

When Neo (Keanu Reeves) learns the disturbing truth, every move, every second, every thought becomes a fight to stay alive and escape The Matrix.Neo, a computer hacker learns this from Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne), who also tells him that the Matrix uses humans as fuel as part of their quest for total domination.
But the humans are fighting back. Neo, Morpheus and Trinity (Carrie-Ann Moss) must battle for their lives against this viciously powerful cadre to find the answers they seek, to understand their own roles in the epic drama unfolding around them, to learn their true power, and to recognize their destinies.
What can be said about this film that hasn't been said already? The Matrix has set a wonderful example in the film industry that has spawned dozens of similar ideas, that it's now quite difficult to find discussions about new action or sci-fi films without comparing. Although the philosphy and the cyberpunk influence have been covered before in other films (Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, etc.) the way this film executed in such a stylish manner is what brought it into the mainstream. Combined with stunning visual effects and action, it's got something for everyone, and this DVD is definitely one to add to your collection.

1)Independance Day
Alien spaceships are hovering over major cities around the world and, at first, it is not known whether their intentions are good or evil. It soon becomes apparent that they are not friendly! Can the world be saved?
Now this is the one & only film that has ever left me breathless when watching it at the cinema. My reaction, after the aliens had blown away New York, Washington & Los Angeles was, 'That's only the end of the first day!?!' This film has it all, Action Humour, Sci-Fi, Heartbreak and much, much more. Jeff Goldblum & Will Smith are a great double act and should make more films together, I could just imagine what mayhem the dinosaurs in Jurassik Park would make of them, they would probably surrender. This may be a 'made for American's' movie, but it is still and always will be an excellent movie and one of my favourites.
Sun 27/05/01 at 14:06
Sorry bout the green mile review i messed up a bit.I write the review in word just incase i get disconnected.I will re-do the green mile review.

3)The green Mile
Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks) is a slightly cynical veteran prison guard on death row in the 1930s. His faith, and sanity, deteriorated by watching men live and die, Edgecomb is about to have a complete turn around in attitude. Enter John Coffey (Oscar-nominated Michael Clarke Duncan). He's eight feet tall. He has hands the size of waffle irons. He's been accused of the murder of two children... and he's afraid to sleep in a cell without a night-light. And Edgecomb, as well as the other prison guards - Brutus, a sympathetic guard and Percy, a stuck-up, perverse, and violent person, are in for a strange experience that involves intelligent mice, brutal executions, and the revelation about Coffey's innocence and his true identity.

This Academy Award-nominated tale is the second collaboration from the writer Stephen King, and the director of Shawshank Redemption.
Thats the actual review!!!!
Tue 29/05/01 at 21:49
Please can u enter you top 5 movies.....Please
Tue 29/05/01 at 23:45
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I'm quite youthful and there's many older films I haven't yet been able to seen :/ but heres my all time favourite films in no particular order.

1. The Matrix
2. American Beauty
3. The Green Mile
4. Terminator 2
5. Gladiator
Wed 30/05/01 at 22:52
top 5 movies of all time, well i hadnt really thoguht about this before but here goes.

In slot number 5 goes---

5)Scream 2- Have watched all three of the trilogy but definaltey this was the best, espically the classic line said by micky.

"Don't you know history repeats itself"

Taking the fourth spot---

4)Primal Fear - A suberb thriller with an unexpected twist at the end, defiantley one to watch including an exceeptioanl performance by edward norton.

Scooping third place---

3) The silence of the lambs - A masterpiece, what a pshycolgical thriller this was. Hannibal Lecter- evil genius but loverbul inhis own right. Antony Hopkins does great in his conception fo Dr. Lector- An evil cannibal. Havent seen Hannibal but will lokks great. Saw manhunter bloody crap that was needed sir antony

Just coming close to number 1---

2) Air force one - I watched this movie at least 20 times and i loved it, its so brilliant, hasent everybody seen it. Great performances by gary oldman and harrision ford. it felt like i was their on the plane.

And taking first spot is---

1)The night of the living dead - Well i hadnt seen many zombie films before this but i have now, this was abosoultley super, the zombies were portraied brilliantley. Th origianl black and white version was the best, the colour version lacked the fear. I loved them both though and i think all the zombie films from that catogrey are great.
Thu 31/05/01 at 20:34
well the suspect one is terrible!
for me there are only two top films. they may not be classics but i like them!

In second place is the Cable Guy! Everyone hates this but i find it soooooooooo funny! His voice just cracks me up.

In First Place is the rare "Billy Madison" starring Adam Sandler. It was original to me and was frankly just genunly funny - especially for a fairly old film!
narlytjc
Fri 01/06/01 at 15:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Here are mine -

1. The Matrix - Amazing and cool - That chaingun!
2. Star Wars (New Hope) - George Lucas Masterpiece
3. The Longest Day - Classic D-Day action - Better than Saving Private Ryan
4. Gladiator - Great film
5. Some Like It Hot - Yes it is old, but it is actualy quite good! (i am sad i know)
Fri 01/06/01 at 16:09
I would rathersuck my stomach through my nose with a bendy straw than watch the Matrix again, so here is my favourite Five list,

5.The Shining - those twin girls are enough to scare the living sh... out of me every time.
4.The Graduate - great music, great film.
3.Twelve Monkeys - wierd and incredibly wonderful.
2.Akira - an absolute classic, if you haven't seen this yet then pull your finger out.
1.Platoon - Gut wrenchingly good. Great Music and, and, and, just damn excellent.
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:44
Rakuga wrote:
> I'm quite youthful and there's many older films I haven't yet been
> able to seen :/ but heres my all time favourite films in no
> particular order.

1. The Matrix
2. American Beauty
3. The Green
> Mile
4. Terminator 2
5. Gladiator

My idea weekend! THESE FILMS ARE TOP!
Sat 02/06/01 at 11:48
1.The Matrix
2.Face/Off
3.American Beauty
4.Terminator 2
5.Fight Club [its just soooo funny when he beats himself up in his bosses office!]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.