GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Vampires + Morrowind x Half Life 2 ="

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/11/04 at 23:10
Regular
"A man with a stick"
.....one hell of a week for games. So we're finally getting Half Life 2 this Tuesday, but on top of that we are, apparently, also getting Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

For those clueless to this game, it's a FPS / RPG. Unfair to compare it to HL2 as HL2 is a straight forward shoot em up (in that it has you walking about and shooting things, not that it's some half baked arcade EA crapfest) while Vampires is a fully blown adventure game that just so happens to use the first person perspective, oh, and the Source engine kindly borrowed from the aforementioned HL2.

It's the first third party game to use the engine, so gorgeous looks are guaranteed. The game itself is a sequel to a not-that-good hack and slash original that was bogged down with repetition. This sequel looks to improve on it's predecessor, giving you a lot more to do that just walk around hitting things on the head.

You choose from a group of different Vampire clans, Some are good at using weapons, other magic while one or two are more adept a sneaky stealth tactics. Reactions from other None Playable Characters will differ depending on which clan you choose to play, and there are a variety of options to use when approaching certain parts of the game. An example, in one part you come to a huge stone monster thing, depending on who you’ve chosen to play as you can either blast your way past, or negotiate your way through without so much as a scuffle, adding to the replayability.

It looks to retain the kind of freedom that made Morrowind so fun to play, while offering all the same action delights that Half Life 2 will deliver as well as being powered by one mighty impressive graphics engine.

Out this Tuesday in America, while the European release is set for next Friday. A busy week for gaming for me then, as aside from HL2, This game also features highly on my most wanted list. I just hope it doesn’t disappoint like the original did.

[URL]http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/[/URL]
Sat 13/11/04 at 23:10
Regular
"A man with a stick"
.....one hell of a week for games. So we're finally getting Half Life 2 this Tuesday, but on top of that we are, apparently, also getting Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

For those clueless to this game, it's a FPS / RPG. Unfair to compare it to HL2 as HL2 is a straight forward shoot em up (in that it has you walking about and shooting things, not that it's some half baked arcade EA crapfest) while Vampires is a fully blown adventure game that just so happens to use the first person perspective, oh, and the Source engine kindly borrowed from the aforementioned HL2.

It's the first third party game to use the engine, so gorgeous looks are guaranteed. The game itself is a sequel to a not-that-good hack and slash original that was bogged down with repetition. This sequel looks to improve on it's predecessor, giving you a lot more to do that just walk around hitting things on the head.

You choose from a group of different Vampire clans, Some are good at using weapons, other magic while one or two are more adept a sneaky stealth tactics. Reactions from other None Playable Characters will differ depending on which clan you choose to play, and there are a variety of options to use when approaching certain parts of the game. An example, in one part you come to a huge stone monster thing, depending on who you’ve chosen to play as you can either blast your way past, or negotiate your way through without so much as a scuffle, adding to the replayability.

It looks to retain the kind of freedom that made Morrowind so fun to play, while offering all the same action delights that Half Life 2 will deliver as well as being powered by one mighty impressive graphics engine.

Out this Tuesday in America, while the European release is set for next Friday. A busy week for gaming for me then, as aside from HL2, This game also features highly on my most wanted list. I just hope it doesn’t disappoint like the original did.

[URL]http://www.vampirebloodlines.com/[/URL]
Sat 13/11/04 at 23:13
Regular
Yep, read about this somewhere. Seems interesting but I'm pretty sure HL2 will keep me busy and it'll also take all of my money.
Sun 14/11/04 at 00:04
Regular
"A man with a stick"
So your getting half Life 2 then? Getting a new 3D card or just taking a risk?

Vampires will do me for next weekend if haven't already had enough of Half Life by then. It's got potential, I just hope it doesn't fall short of expectations.
Sun 14/11/04 at 00:09
Regular
cipro wrote:
> So your getting half Life 2 then? Getting a new 3D card or just taking
> a risk?

Nah, I'm getting the 3D card and then I'm getting Half-Life 2. So it's gonna take me a while to save up and I dunno if the vampire game is worth saving up for a month or so. Also, most people will spend their cash on Half-Life 2 instead of this so I dunno if it's going to sell that well...
Sun 14/11/04 at 00:25
Regular
"Captain to you."
can't wait going to play me a bit of hl2 then a bit of vampire, have a round or 2 on Day of defeat source, then go to the pub :) quite the day i have planned, i think my uni tutor will understand why i'm not turning up to video production :)
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Lipe wrote:
> Nah, I'm getting the 3D card and then I'm getting Half-Life 2. So
> it's gonna take me a while to save up and I dunno if the vampire game
> is worth saving up for a month or so.

Don't sweat it. You may not be able to play it right now, but you'll get their eventually. I remember I didn't play the orignal Half Life until about a year after it's release, due mainly to my PC not having a 3D card. I eventually got iy though, still without a 3D card, which meant it looked pretty rough until I replaced my PC a year after.

> Also, most people will spend their cash on Half-Life 2 instead of this so I > dunno if it's going to sell that well...

I'm sure it'll do well on it's own, though releasing it the same week as Half Life 2 is just asking for trouble. The setting and style of the game will also appeal more to those who haven't bought into the hype surrounding HL2, while the rest can enjoy a very long week of gaming goodness.

And that's before I mention that Pirates is released a week after. It's like Christmas has come early.
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:28
Regular
"A man with a stick"
chippxero wrote:
> can't wait going to play me a bit of hl2 then a bit of vampire, have a
> round or 2 on Day of defeat source, then go to the pub :) quite the
> day i have planned, i think my uni tutor will understand why i'm not
> turning up to video production :)

Ah, you forgot Half Life: Source. A busy, busy week for games that's for sure.
Sun 14/11/04 at 21:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
cipro wrote:
> chippxero wrote:
> can't wait going to play me a bit of hl2 then a bit of vampire, have
> a
> round or 2 on Day of defeat source, then go to the pub :) quite the
> day i have planned, i think my uni tutor will understand why i'm not
> turning up to video production :)
>
> Ah, you forgot Half Life: Source. A busy, busy week for games that's
> for sure.

Actually, is there any confirmation that DoD:S And HL:S will be available at HL2 launch? You've already bought the silver package off steam haven't you? Any indication from that whether they'll be available immediately?
Sun 14/11/04 at 22:31
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Garin wrote:
> Actually, is there any confirmation that DoD:S And HL:S will be
> available at HL2 launch? You've already bought the silver package
> off steam haven't you? Any indication from that whether they'll be
> available immediately?

I guessing Half Life: Source is a dead cert seeing as that's being shipped with the collectors edition. I've not heard much on Day of Defeat, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's not ready as I have heard next to nothing on what will be in Half Life: Source.

I'll have to wait and see til Tuesday, though I do hope Day of Defeat is part of the release, as I'm getting slightly annoyed with CS now.
Mon 15/11/04 at 00:26
Regular
"Captain to you."
not sure about weather i get day of defeat source on the release of hl2 i better or i will have too reschedule my whole day. :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.