GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Convince me to get a PS2 over a Dreamcast as a present"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/05/01 at 14:38
Regular
I have been persuaded almost to get a DC for my brother, but I am willing to find out about the PS2 - convince me it's worth getting more so than the Dreamcast! For one, I am not too pleased about no football games on Dreamcast!
Fri 25/05/01 at 14:38
I have been persuaded almost to get a DC for my brother, but I am willing to find out about the PS2 - convince me it's worth getting more so than the Dreamcast! For one, I am not too pleased about no football games on Dreamcast!
Fri 25/05/01 at 14:42
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
BigSally wrote:
> I have been persuaded almost to get a DC for my brother, but I am willing to find out about the PS2 - convince me it's worth getting more so than the Dreamcast! For one, I am not too pleased about no football games on Dreamcast!

Err...correct me if I'm wrong anybody, but I think that you've just answered your own question.

No footie game on DC therefore PS2 obvious choice!
Fri 25/05/01 at 14:43
DC is at the end of its short life!
PS2 is at the beginning of its (hopefully) long and fruitful life.
Footie you say? Well I'm not too up on those games but both FIFA and ISS I have played and enjoyed.
I think there's another ISS game on the way thats supposed to be kick a$$, but don't quote me on it.

MGS2
MGS2
MGS2

I'm not denying that the DC 'is' a great console, but before long it'll be a case of it 'was' a great console.

Admittedly PS2 had a comparatively bad start in the gaming world but, as Yaz would say, the only way is up.

MGS2

:)
Fri 25/05/01 at 14:47
Regular
Dreamcast - the good points.

Cheap, you can get one with two games for under £100. There are also quite a few decent games available, such as Phantasy Star, Shenmue etc... It is also able to go online already.

Dreamcast - the downers.

It may still have a few good games in developement, but not enough to sustain a high standard past this Christmas. It will be good for a few more months, but it`ll start to look seriously dated by the end of the year. If you want to have a console that will last so you don`t have to buy yet another one, don`t get a DC.

PS2 - the good points.

The number of really decent titles is certainly going up now, with games such as SSX already out, and Red Faction/GT3 not too far away. It also has a very bright future, in that it will survive far longer than the DC. It will make good games far beyond this year, so you won`t be forced into buying another console. There are also firmplans for online kits by the end of the year. Arriving in Broadband to be faster than the DC. It doesn`t just play games, but DVDs, and also old PSone games if you have any.

PS2 - the downers.

It is still a little expensive, but all new consoles are. You are paying for the stability it holds, as well as the technology. It is not about to disappear from the market. If you want more than 19 really top quality games, then the PS2 doesn`t quite have that yet. (Not for a few months yet). Though it will be online soon, it isn`t yet.

Overall - The DC has the price, and a lot of short term fun, but if you want a lot of options, with a really decent future, it has to be the PS2.
Fri 25/05/01 at 15:05
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Well, I was going to mention MGS2, GT3, Red Faction, FIFA 2001 etc but hey someone's done it for me already.

I think your mind should be made up now :)
Fri 25/05/01 at 15:13
"High polygon count"
I can't add much to what ssxpro has already said, but consider the future.

DC, while cheap, is no longer in production. Sega have also said (there's a news story somewhere on this site I think) that they will not be making any new games for it after March 2002.

Sure, you can get a DC and some games for the same price as a PS2, but in the long run, it will work out more expensive. Why? Because the chances are that you'll need to replace it with a PS2, GameCube or X-Box within the next year. If Sega no longer produce software for it, third-party developers may not either. At least one major title - Soul Reaver - has already been canned, and that was practically complete.

If you're going to spend £300, you may as well have the machine with the brighter future.
Fri 25/05/01 at 16:04
Yep I guess so, what would impress my brother's mates more then? Gotta be a PS2 right? It's for him, we need more people to put in - I'll ring round, thanks guys!
Fri 25/05/01 at 17:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Did anyone mention the PS2 also cleans up and cooks food. It will be perfect for your brother , no more cooking or cleaning again. Or was that a naked maid, to be safe get a PS2 as your brother can play with that whenever he wants.
Fri 25/05/01 at 19:19
Regular
He`s right you know. PS2 does cut down on cooking and cleaning. The PS2 keeps you so occupied that you won`t have time to eat or make a mess.

I do three things: PS2, exams and Sit here typing.
Fri 25/05/01 at 22:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Actually I meant that its so good and powerful that it will cook and clean for you. I was trying to be funny as everyone else has said the obvious. But of course it doesnt and thats where the naked maid came in. But you can play with a PS2 whenever you want but not with a naked maid. So a PS2 is would be the obvoius choice.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.