GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Connection rate and speeds"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/10/09 at 23:26
Regular
Hello All,

Looking for some help with my Broadband. Basically since we 'upgraded' to 24 meg, its been utter rubbish. The first couple of days we got a solid 16 meg which was pretty nice. Since then sometimes we have no net conection at all (local only) and I have had to reset by switching the router off for an hour. For the last few weeks our speed ranges from under 1 meg to 3 meg max. We are now thinking of switching providers but if anyone can advise before we do..?

Bt speedtest result:

speed achieved during the test was - 886 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12379 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1035 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 10000 Kbps

Any help apreciated.
Thu 15/10/09 at 18:18
Regular
Yeah we have gone over twice and been charged as per the going rate, I put the over usage down to my son and world of war craft, but its like bank charges they are cleary displayed so I cant complain about them.

Digi

But am not a high user as twice in a million years is no a bad record :-)

Warhunt wrote:
> He mentioned he had gone over his usage twice which he had been
> charged for so.... :P
>
> But yeah if you are on about heavy usage flagging follows the
> Messiah's advice ;)
Thu 15/10/09 at 18:15
Regular
Hi Hmmmm

Yeah I found it and its all good

"You have been marked as a high bandwidth user on 0 day(s). If this number is 5 or more you will be affected by the high bandwidth user ALT settings."

Cheers

Digi
Thu 15/10/09 at 13:39
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
He mentioned he had gone over his usage twice which he had been charged for so.... :P

But yeah if you are on about heavy usage flagging follows the Messiah's advice ;)
Thu 15/10/09 at 13:24
"Are you sure?"
I believe the status Digi was after was whether he had been marked as a "high bandwidth user" - this is different to the amount of data you use.

It would be useful to include that within MyFreeola though - good idea ;¬)

The instructions I gave will show:

~ High bandwidth user yes/no
~ Number of days marked as a high bandwidth user
~ Last date marked as a high bandwidth user

You have been marked as a high bandwidth user on 0 day(s). If this number is 5 or more you will be affected by the high bandwidth user ALT settings.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 15/10/09 at 13:09
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
You can of course look in your control panel on the broadband status page and monitor usage daily.
Thu 15/10/09 at 10:06
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> Hi Hmmm
>
> where is this list that says if you are a heavy user or not?
>
> I think I am not to heavy a user but do pay for a big allowance
> and I think twice we have gone over our limit but Freeola charged
> extra for this. I would be interested to see if I am a heavy user
> or not
>
> Digi

Hi Digi,
I've put some notes on this page.

The links/comments near the top of the page explain how to get more info on your line. Right-hand click the link and 'copy shortcut' then paste into the address bar changing the login details as required before entering.

I then saved this address as a 'favourite' so that I can access it easily.

Let me know if you need more help :¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 15/10/09 at 09:59
Regular
Hi Hmmm

where is this list that says if you are a heavy user or not?

I think I am not to heavy a user but do pay for a big allowance and I think twice we have gone over our limit but Freeola charged extra for this. I would be interested to see if I am a heavy user or not

Digi

Hmmm... wrote:
> Thanks for the updates...
>
> I'm not marked as a heavy user (no black marks at all) but I'm
> seeing very variable speeds - even when the ALT is 'showing' as
> off on my node.
>
> Let us now if you should get things resolved!
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 14/10/09 at 17:00
Regular
Thanks for the replies, I'm afraid theres not going to be a resolution - even if they sort whats going on at the moment I find the ALT thing intolerable - I am not suprised they dont mention on their page where it states no throtling. I have my mac code and ordering a new supplier now.

Best to all
Wed 14/10/09 at 16:51
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the updates...

I'm not marked as a heavy user (no black marks at all) but I'm seeing very variable speeds - even when the ALT is 'showing' as off on my node.

Let us now if you should get things resolved!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 14/10/09 at 16:46
Regular
Update> I have been told that they dont think it is to do with the ALT as its not switched on at the moment - They temp took me off the heavy user list as well and asked me to switch off the router for 20 mins - I did this but my Bt peedtest is basically the same..I am awaiting further instruction from them but I think its more liskely than not I'll cancell and get an LLU service with someone else to be honest. I dont find the ALT thing acceptable as theres no way of knowing how much you can download and when without being penalised - Clearly its less than the old 30/300 package I started on..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.