GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Routers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/03/05 at 10:16
Regular
"cachoo"
Hoping some of you could give me a few answers/recommendations.

Would like a router, preferably wireless.
Problem is, I know next to nothing about these little creatures. :^)
All I want, is just to sit faaar away from the cable modem and surf the net on a laptop without any wires making a mess.
And it's gotta be fast. :^)

Couple of quick questions:

Do you need to have a USB2 port? That's something I don't have..

I've been told you don't have to pay any extra if you're having an extra computer using the Internet too, but just to make sure once again, would your ISP [mine being NTL] charge you more?

Thankee! Much appreciated if you could help out. :^)
Fri 18/03/05 at 00:59
Regular
"cachoo"
Yay, it works! Can't believe how great it is to be able to sit away from the main computer for once and surf the net. It feels so cyber-cafe-ery.. :^)

Signal strength is on 'very low', though. So will have to read around and learn more about it.

Thankyou :^)
Tue 15/03/05 at 10:25
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Ms NY wrote:
> Comforting to know :^)
>
> Don't suppose you know the rough distance you can sit away from the
> router?

It depends on how your house is built and how many walls/floors the signal needs to pass through.

I have a 2 storey large mid terrace house with very thick walls. My router is in the upstairs middle bedroom but I have no problem communicating with it in any rooms or the garden or my garage out the back. Signal strength varies but to be honest I only notice it occasionally if I am using remote desktop but even then its no big deal.

So make sure you use encryption if you dont want your neighbours poaching your bandwidth. Or buy a house with no neighbours.
Tue 15/03/05 at 09:08
Regular
I'd imagine wireless would reach pretty far.

100m-ish?
Tue 15/03/05 at 07:27
Regular
"cachoo"
Comforting to know :^)

Don't suppose you know the rough distance you can sit away from the router?
Mon 14/03/05 at 19:40
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Damn good choice too.

Have had one for a year now with no problems whatsoever.
Mon 14/03/05 at 19:17
Regular
"cachoo"
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Won't be ringing NTL up!
Ended up buying a Netgear DG834G, too.. :^)
Sun 13/03/05 at 11:06
Regular
Ms NY wrote:
> Do you need to have a USB2 port? That's something I don't have..

Nope.

All you need is a wireless network card for your laptop.

(Some laptops even have them built in, but most need the extra card)

> I've been told you don't have to pay any extra if you're having an
> extra computer using the Internet too, but just to make sure once
> again, would your ISP [mine being NTL] charge you more?

There are 4 computers in my house (3 desktops, 1 laptop) using one connection. NTL don't know that you have more than one computer and it's not illegal or anything. I wouldn't reccomend ringing them up and asking about it though, they'll try and get one of their engineers to 'help you' set up your network at £50 or something.

We have this router: -

[URL]http://specialreserve.co.uk/Linksys_Wireless_8806_r.html[/URL] which allows Wireless + Wired connections so you can use a laptop and keep your existing ethernet cable network intact.
Sun 13/03/05 at 10:53
Regular
cant advise on a router as mine is not wireless, but we do use a router and we have four computers connected to the internet via the router and through my network hub and my ISP (Freeola) do not charge extra for that, you pay for the connection, not the computers connected
Sun 13/03/05 at 10:16
Regular
"cachoo"
Hoping some of you could give me a few answers/recommendations.

Would like a router, preferably wireless.
Problem is, I know next to nothing about these little creatures. :^)
All I want, is just to sit faaar away from the cable modem and surf the net on a laptop without any wires making a mess.
And it's gotta be fast. :^)

Couple of quick questions:

Do you need to have a USB2 port? That's something I don't have..

I've been told you don't have to pay any extra if you're having an extra computer using the Internet too, but just to make sure once again, would your ISP [mine being NTL] charge you more?

Thankee! Much appreciated if you could help out. :^)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.