GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help on Computer Games Design"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/02/05 at 23:55
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
If I pass all my A levels I hope to be going to uni to start a Computer Science Games Development course and I was wondering has anyone else done this course before or currently doing this course, and if you are could you give me some pointers in what it will involve? Also I haven't really made any games beofore e.g. and flash games on the internet and does anyone know where I could learn or if theres any good books as any help would be nice, Thanks.
Sun 20/02/05 at 23:55
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
If I pass all my A levels I hope to be going to uni to start a Computer Science Games Development course and I was wondering has anyone else done this course before or currently doing this course, and if you are could you give me some pointers in what it will involve? Also I haven't really made any games beofore e.g. and flash games on the internet and does anyone know where I could learn or if theres any good books as any help would be nice, Thanks.
Mon 21/02/05 at 10:39
Regular
I suggest you find out what programming languages will be involved within your course and start learning it yourself. Having a certain amount of knowledge about a subject before learning it properly is always an advantage.
Mon 21/02/05 at 10:40
Regular
Spikecast is doing something like that. Ask him. He's usually found outside schools and playgrounds.
Mon 21/02/05 at 10:41
Depends on the uni. Is it a programming course mainly or does it have the naffy design parts too, where you get to play with Editors and suchlike? Read the syllabus.
Mon 21/02/05 at 11:23
Regular
I'm going in for a Games Computing course at Lincoln Uni in September.

Mon 21/02/05 at 11:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Learn C and C++.
Mon 21/02/05 at 11:29
You lot have a better chance of finding a job in games when you graduate, since by that time devs will be getting kits for the PS4 and XB3, which by then will probably need team sizes of 100+.
Mon 21/02/05 at 13:54
Regular
"Captain to you."
gamesfreak wrote:
> I'm going in for a Games Computing course at Lincoln Uni in September.
>
>
>

Not sure if i have mentioned this before but i am at lincoln uni, Hull campus and in my first year i did the games course but then they showed us the 2nd year stuff and it was all gay programming. i did my fair share of programming at college but the amount they asked was crazy and boring not much design just typing of code.

There is a game course at the hull campus that is modelling, level editing and animation for games. which seems to be quite good.
Mon 21/02/05 at 13:55
Regular
"Captain to you."
lcarus wrote:
> You lot have a better chance of finding a job in games when you
> graduate, since by that time devs will be getting kits for the PS4
> and XB3, which by then will probably need team sizes of 100+.

i have applied to a job in scotland to work with a game company i am doing a media degree, they are asking for someone with 3d max and photoshop skills. and they want students who have jsut finished.
Mon 21/02/05 at 13:57
Regular
My cousin's at Lincoln Uni doing some design course.

So ummmm there you have it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.