GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"After Twenty Years"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/02/05 at 04:32
Regular
"Always the winner?"
A policeman was going on his usual last round on a quiet road in New York around ten at night. The climate was bad with chilly winds and a drizzle, and so there were very few people on the road. Those who were on the road were walking with hurried steps towards their homes.

The policeman on his duty looked impressive as he went about checking closed doors of shops making various interesting and playful movements with his small stick. Most of these shops had either closed or were closing down. He could still see one or two all-night restaurants and some shops completing the day's work. The majority of these houses were business places which had closed due to bankruptcy long ago. One of them was the "Brady's restaurant".

The policeman let out a sigh as he saw the restaurant. Now and then he turned about the peaceful road, as if looking for someone. He thought about the appearance of the notorious criminal who had printed counterfeit notes, as described by his boss. He felt a little ashamed as that criminal was still at large.

"Chicago, a thousand miles away - no chance of that crook coming here. No chance to catch him either", he thought, "Never mind, Jim, never mind. Luck owes you a debt." He was, perhaps, in the habit of talking to himself when alone. That's sometimes a good habit though - you get a company for yourself. Even then, some say that it may split your personalities into two if you take it a bit too much. That, however, didn't matter for him. He, being a policeman, had very rare chances -like this one, to be alone.

There was something else playing on his mind though. He glanced at his watch which showed quarter past ten. "Fifteen minutes more".

Suddenly, in the face of the dark, he saw the outline of a man. He quickened his steps, perhaps with a sub-conscious hope that that man might be the criminal. The outline now morphed into a recognizable shape. He kept walking, but opened his mouth, while still far away from him, to speak to the man, but changed his mind.

That man, realizing that his way of standing there might seem suspicious to a policeman, opened his mouth to address the officer. "Its all right, officer. I'm waiting here for a friend of mine. It is an appointment made twenty years ago."

The man had a feeling that the policeman was about to burst out in a laughter, though he was not sure whether or not that feeling was true. So he added as the policeman walked up to him, "It sounds funny to you, doesn't it? Well, I can explain. About twenty years ago, there used to be a restaurant where this store stands, Brady's restaurant"

"Until five years ago", the officer said with a slight rise in his enthusiasm. He was about to introduce himself to the man, but checked himself. The man struck a match and lit his cigar. The policeman had, for the first time, a chance to look at his face.

The man continued, "Twenty years ago, on this night, I dined here with Jimmy Wells, my best chum. He was for me the finest chap in this world. Both of us had been brought up here in New York, just like two brothers. The next morning I was to leave for the west to make my fortune. Jimmy was a drab homing bird. He could never think of any other place on this earth except New York. So, we agreed that night to meet here again exactly after twenty years, at ten thirty. We agreed to meet, whatever our conditions would be."

"It all sounds pretty interesting. But didn't you hear from your friend since you left?", said the policeman.

"Erm, yeah. We corresponded for a year or two. But, I was not settled yet. So we lost track of each other then." The man answered to him. In reply all that the policeman did was to raise an eyebrow. The man took this as an expression of disbelief to the success of their meet given the fact they had never corresponded in the last eighteen years.

"But I trust Jimmy. He'll meet me here if he is alive. He'll never forget our meet. I have come here from Chicago to stand at this door. Jimmy was finer than me, there is no way he won't turn up."

The man took out of his pocket a beautiful watch with diamonds embedded on it. "Ten twenty-five", he said, "It was exactly half-past ten when we parted here at the restaurant door."

"Made lots of money out in the west, didn't you?", asked the policeman.

"Well, to be frank, yes. I've had to compete with some of the sharpest brains in the world. The west requires fighting and teaches it."

"I hope your friend comes around all right," he said. "Are you going to wait for some time in case he doesn't turn up at the appointed time?"

"I'll give him half an hour," said the other "If Jimmy is in existence he'll be here by that time".

The officer did not have a good feeling when he heard these words. "Goodnight, sir" he said; and walked away examining closed doors as he went.

The chilly winds blew faster and the drizzle thickened, and so the few people who were walking on the road were emptying the road with quickened steps and at the same time, wondering on the static posture of the man who had come from a thousand miles far-away place to fulfill an appointment that was made twenty-years ago.

He waited for some time after that. In the few minutes that he waited, he never failed to glance at his watch twice in a minute. He took out the watch from his pocket another time, but quickly put it back in its place when he saw a man hurrying from the opposite end of the street. The man waited there doubtfully, and asked with a hope, "Are you Jimmy Wells?". "Is that you Bob?" asked the other man.

"Well, well, well. Its you then, Bob. Twenty years is a long time. But even then, I knew we would meet again", the new arrival replied.

"Well, Jimmy, you are still that good old chap I knew. I've heard that the old restaurant is gone."

"I wish it had lasted. That was our hangout - and I wished we could have another dinner there. Anyways, how has your life gone in the West?"

They now begin to walk down the streets hands in hands.

"Nothing to complain of, it has given me everything that I wanted. But yes, you've changed quite a bit. You look a lot taller than we met last time. How has your life been here in New York?"

"Not bad. I am working in a local departmental store as a manager. Come on Bob, we'll go to a place I know of, and have a good talk about our old times"

"Nostalgia, ain't gonna be the same", replied Bob with a twinkle in his eyes. But the other man was not able to notice it. Owing to the dark, they never had a chance to have a good look at each other's face. Bob was rather pumped up by his success, and the other man was listening to him in rapt attention. Eventually, they came under a brilliantly lit street lamp. There each of them turned simultaneously to gaze at each other's face.

Bob let go of the other's arm. "You're not Jimmy Wells", he stammered, "Twenty years is a long time, but not long enough to change a man's sharp nose into a flat one!"

"But it is enough to change a good man into a bad one. You've been under arrest for the last ten minutes Bob, or whatever your name is. The commissioner of New York wants to have a chat with you with regards to the counterfeit notes that have come this way. Before we go to the police station, here is a note I was asked to give. It is from Assistant Sub-Inspector Jimmy Wells."

Bob read the note steadily, but his hands did tremble as he neared the end of the note. The note, by itself, was rather short.

"Bob, I was there at the appointed place on time. When you struck the match to light your cigar, I saw that it was the face of the man wanted in Chicago. I couldn't do it myself. So I went around and got a plain-clothes policeman to do the job."
Mon 21/02/05 at 17:26
Regular
"Always the winner?"
cweek2000 wrote:
> Amazingly performed ending. Bravo!

Thanks for the compliments. I have told this to everyone; the end of the story was a challenge for me to write; an I'm happy everyone liked it...

You can read my "Saturday the 13th - Newton Lives" when you
[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=119368&forumid=4011[/URL] . This is not a story actually; but a funny piece that you'll like anyways.
Mon 21/02/05 at 14:14
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Amazingly performed ending. Bravo!
Mon 21/02/05 at 00:22
Regular
"Always the winner?"
I'll just quote here all the sentences that tell you that the policeman is himself Jimmy Wells: -

[I]
"Never mind, Jim, never mind. Luck owes you a debt."

He glanced at his watch which showed quarter past ten. "Fifteen minutes more".

"Until five years ago", the officer said with a slight rise in his enthusiasm.

The man took out of his pocket a beautiful watch with diamonds embedded on it. "Ten twenty-five", he said, "It was exactly half-past ten when we parted here at the restaurant door."
Sun 20/02/05 at 02:23
Regular
"Catch it!"
The Winster wrote:
> Crossbob wrote:
> compliments
>
> Hey, you seem to be a pretty good person. I have been criticizing you
> since the time I've read your "Crazed"; and you appreciate
> me here. Well, thanksssssssssssssssss! :)

>
> I'll still suggest though, keep action/horror but not useless
> violence in your stories...
>
> Bye, and thanks again...

Thats ok my pleasure I really love your stories and think they are great hope you write some more soon!
Sun 20/02/05 at 02:19
Regular
"Can't get enough"
I just woke up in the night after a nightmare; and decided to give this forum a try. And to tell the truth; when I saw your story here; I thought I'll take the opportunity of insulting you outside the "The Person Below is..." thread.

Anyways the story (considering its climax) is pretty good; and was well worth a late-night read. Well, I am off to sleep for now; but I'll comeback to this forum quite often now - and try to win the SSC20!

P.S. - SSC19 is out of my reach!
Sat 19/02/05 at 08:20
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Crossbob wrote:
> compliments

Hey, you seem to be a pretty good person. I have been criticizing you since the time I've read your "Crazed"; and you appreciate me here. Well, thanksssssssssssssssss! :)

I'll still suggest though, keep action/horror but not useless violence in your stories...

Bye, and thanks again...
Sat 19/02/05 at 08:16
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Surrealguy wrote:
> Really nice ending, without it it would have been a pretty crap story.
> But yes, I liked.

Hey thanks. Didn't I say that one of the headaches was to maintain the interest of the reader in the story once Bob starts explaining about his meet.
Fri 18/02/05 at 18:26
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Really nice ending, without it it would have been a pretty crap story. But yes, I liked.
Fri 18/02/05 at 14:32
Regular
"Catch it!"
Loved such a great ending that was great!
Fri 18/02/05 at 04:50
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Well, the whole story and the poetic decription (not that much, I tried to mimic FFF, but it never matched with this story; so I didn't concentrate on it); are by me. Only that the concept of four characters turning up to be just two is not an original one; and is taken from Henry Potter's story which I have faint memory of. The note that concludes has been quoted exactly from that story an has been edited only to the extent that makes it flaw-less in my story's context.

It was a headache for me to write this story. The main reason was to maintain the secret that the four characters are actually two. Some more headache was to keep the interest of the reader in the story, especially after Bob relates his story to the pliceman. Hey, atleast give me a pat on the back for doing this job man! And yes, I write it again, the concept is not mine; however the story (or the script) is purely my work...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.