GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Did the Wachowski's steal the Matrix?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/02/05 at 19:46
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
I read this on imdb:

It’s the $65 million film that turned sci-fi into a mass market event and went on to take $458m in box office receipts and sell over 25 million videos and DVDs.

The Matrix and its two sequels launched a worldwide cult following and made Warner Bros and the film’s official creators brothers Larry and Andy Wachowski, very rich people. But now an African American woman says she is the real creator of The Matrix and aims to prove it in court later this year.

In July Sophia Stewart,(pictured), a New Yorker who resides in Salt Lake City, will have her case against the Wachowski brothers heard in Los Angeles Federal Court of Justice. If the court finds in her favour, the case could have major implications for Hollywood, where accusations by unknown writers of copyright theft, are not uncommon.

A Stewart victory would not only have financial implications for Warner Bros but would send shockwaves through the whole movie industry. Big money is certainly at stake.

Speaking exclusively to New Nation, Stewart said that she would be seeking damages close to $1bn. ‘I’m sending a message to Hollywood that they cannot steal someone’s creativity and get away with it,’ said Stewart.

‘They have stolen from the wrong person. And I’m telling everyone that I’m like Coca Cola, the real deal. ‘When the poor steal it’s out of necessity, but when the rich do it, it’s just because of greed. That’s all this is, just greed.’

Stewart, who studied at the University of South California film school, says The Matrix is based on a manuscript, ‘The Third Eye’, she wrote around 1981 and copyrighted back in 1983. Stewart says she sent the work to Fox and then later to the Wachowski brothers who advertised for sci-fi script ideas.

She heard nothing about her proposals and had forgotten about the matter. It was not until 1999 when a friend took her to the showing of a new movie called The Matrix that she saw what she believes had become of The Third Eye.

‘I was sitting in the cinema watching the film when I went into shock. As each scene unfolded I kept saying to my friend, “I wrote this, I wrote this”. I was so shocked I was saying it out loud in the cinema and people were looking at me,” Stewart said.

She immediately wrote to Warner Bros and Stewart claims she was going to accept an offer to settle when a lawyer from the company told her, confidentially, to fight the case. Stewart alleges that the lawyer told her that it was well known in the studio that The Matrix had been created using Stewart’s work.

‘All I can say is that in any job there are ethical people. If that lawyer had not told me to fight on I would have taken their settlement,’ says Stewart. ‘In July everyone will hear exactly what the truth is. I blame the Wachowskis. Creativity is given to us by God and no one has the right to take it away from us.’

God and spirituality are things that come up often in conversation with Sophia Stewart or the ‘mother of The Matrix’ as she has dubbed herself.

Indeed, the real concept behind The Matrix, she says, was the second coming of Christ. Stewart says that Neo, played by Keanu Reeves, was conceived as her Christ figure and she modelled the Oracle, played by a black woman, on herself.

‘ The Matrix or to be exact The Third Eye, is really about spirituality versus technology. It’s not so much sci-fi as about spirituality,’ explains Stewart.

Her claim about being the real creator, does add controversy to the Matrix trilogy. Hardcore fans say that the standard of writing in the later two films was way off the mark when compared to the first movie.

A British philosopher is among critics who have attacked the later films’ philosophical themes. AC Grayling, of Birkbeck College at the University of London, says dialogue in the second Matrix Reloaded film became ‘more and more incoherent and shallow’ as the film progressed.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: ‘In the first movie some very interesting philosophical ideas were brought into play – the idea of alternative realities, the question of whether life is a dream.’

The Matrix has always been particularly popular with black audiences around the world because of its black casting and the film’s metaphors about repression. There is a strong ‘black feel’ about the film trilogy and the Wachowski brothers, whose parents were active during the 1960s civil rights struggle, claim that the movies represent the black struggle against white-dominated society.

However, with such a strong black theme and symbolism in The Matrix, it would not come as a huge shock to many if it was eventually found that the creative inspiration behind the movie was that of an African American woman.

Stewart says that if she wins the case she hopes that it will lead to a criminal case for those involved. She has asked the FBI to investigate the case in regards to copyright theft which is a federal crime in the US.

Unconfirmed reports claim that the FBI have already spoken to witnesses in the case and it was discovered that, in an effort to avoid liability, 30 minutes or more was edited from the original Matrix film.

Rumours have it that witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski brothers as they claimed.

New Nation contacted the FBI but we have been unable to reliably substantiate whether these reports are correct at time of going to press. What is certainly fact however, is that despite attempts by the defendants to get the case thrown out, United States District Judge Margaret Morrow ruled in a recent judgement that there is strong enough evidence by Stewart for the case to be heard in court.

In a scene that could come from The Matrix, a court will decide who really was the creator of a world that isn’t the real world.

If things go as Ms Stewart hopes, some very big players in Hollywood will be brought very much down to earth.

NOW YOU HAVE READ THIS ARTICLE WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Fri 18/02/05 at 18:24
Regular
"That's right!"
Yeah, a friend ages ago told me Harry Potter was just a rip off of something else.

And the two Matrix sequels definitely have a different feel to them, I thought it was just a natural progression but maybe not. I'd like to see the script/treatment this woman says she sent to the brothers, see how similar it really is.
Fri 18/02/05 at 16:38
Regular
"the burning sky"
Paradox: wrote:
> Interesting but she's probably a fat lying nobody

Just like the person who claimed she wrote Harry Potter, J K Rowling? Seriously tho' there was some french person who said it was all their idea. Nothing happened with it of course.
Fri 18/02/05 at 16:11
Regular
"Monochromatic"
It wouldn't suprise me, i'm usually sceptical aboout this sort of thing but the other films were no-where near the standard of the original, i'd like to see her original work.
Fri 18/02/05 at 15:56
Regular
did they steal the matrix. It was the bible! set in the future!
Fri 18/02/05 at 12:59
Regular
"Prefers Tesis"
It is an interesting conspiracy theory. The bit about the dialogue quality diminishing in the 2nd and 3rd matrix movies does make me wonder. Although its probably is a load of crap.
Thu 17/02/05 at 21:15
Regular
It'd be nice if it was true.

And link next time, fool.
Thu 17/02/05 at 20:43
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
to be honest, " Did the Wachowski's steal the Matrix" is an apt title, considering the original movie took element of anime, manga and western action movies.

Another thing is that I felt the second and third movies had a far different "feel" to them from the first, and dumped some of the more spiritual ideas. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on the case, although it's almost along the same lines as a conspiracy theory.
Thu 17/02/05 at 20:38
Regular
A link may have been better...this way = bigger word count.
Thu 17/02/05 at 20:02
"period drama"
Hmmm ... could be interesting. Just to keep an eye on.
There was something about the whole Harry Potter idea being stolen some time back. I think someone reminded whoever it was that they really shouldn't be owning up to something so terrible.

I'd like to see The Matrix with those extra 30 minutes put back in, though.
Thu 17/02/05 at 20:00
Regular
"SOUP!"
Interesting but she's probably a fat lying nobody

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.