GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SSC19 - Eternal Youth"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/02/05 at 12:24
Regular
My old cot sits in front of me; dust and webs are starting to reform around the gaps of the bars I used to peer out of, a strong smell of oak accompanies the bare sheets crumpled in the corner, slightly torn in parts and musty from lack of use. Sweet memories of growing up come flooding back; desperately trying to reach the top of the cot to freedom, as time went on my pointing finger would get closer, until I could finally find my way out.

Then the world was mine to play with, I remember specifically one toy I loved, hidden beneath my cot in a large chest that held my few belongings. It was nothing special to others, just a rubber hammer that made a squeaky noise, but I had many adventures with the help of that tool. Sometimes I’d come across a vicious panther that needed to be defeated (or our cat, as she is now known). I’m sure Tigger didn’t appreciate getting a whack on the back by a drooling child whilst in the middle of a deep sleep.

Now all my memories lay compact in that one bed. But dwelling will get me nowhere, it’s been some four years since that last came to any use. I’m a grown up now, and as such it is my responsibility to ensure that I don’t revert to my childish roots. If not for my sake, then for that of my family; I’m the man of the house, and I must uphold a general rule.

These responsibilities don’t come without inevitable stress, you must understand. Every grown up needs to relax, keeping eyes on my little sister is a very demanding job, and as such I need something to relieve myself. I remember when I was a child; I would sit in the kitchen after an escape, staring up at the pottery jar with its lid slightly at an angle, letting the scent of sweetness reach my nostrils, and I would dream of growing up and eventually reaching it. I tried many times, but every time resulting in an accident; a bruised leg was just one of the many horrific accidents that took place in those struggling days.

I drag the nearby stool over to kitchen bench, accompanied by a screech as it grazes the tiles. As always, I can perfectly reach the holy grail ahead of me. Reaching inside my hands are met with great warmth; newly baked chocolate brownies, for our grandmother coming for dinner this evening no doubt. I munch away much to my delight and reach further into the jar; nothing more today, nothing but crumbs tickle my palm, seeking out more food.

I carefully place the jar on its side on the tiles and set off to search out our beloved Tigger. My sister catches my eye as I’m about to leave, and a look of malice sweeps over her naïve face, before rushing off. Looks like a change in plan this time, but I have the upper hand; I can reach the sink, meaning my hands won’t give me away. I quickly move the chair back, water dripping to the tiles, before setting off.

You see, I’m working on the inside; I know my way around this house better than she ever will, and of course I checked where Mum was before I started my mission. This situation has arose many times before, but because I have gained trust of other grown ups, she’s never succeeded.

As I move on, Mum comes into view, sitting in the living room, as my sister trails behind just below the stairs.

I’ll get to her just before Dawn…
Sat 26/02/05 at 14:57
Regular
"not dead"
Well written piece, ending raised a smile. I think you captured the mind of a child here, thinking he’s ‘big’ and all-knowing.
Fri 25/02/05 at 23:01
"period drama"
I enjoyed reading that.
Not as much as your usual stuff, but that's me.
Fri 25/02/05 at 21:04
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I enjoyed this one. Oneupmanship (is that really all one word?) on rival siblings - I remember that feeling well enough :)
Wed 23/02/05 at 17:19
Regular
That was good stuff top notch first class. I'll send you a muffin.
Sat 19/02/05 at 19:51
Regular
"Always the winner?"
Rickoss wrote:
> But you seem like a retard...
>
> :s

well; you can read my stories; and other posts to check the authenticity of whatever you are accusing me of.
Sat 19/02/05 at 19:19
Regular
But you seem like a retard...

:s
Sat 19/02/05 at 19:12
Regular
"Always the winner?"
not that much great; but sweet ;)

i request you to rea my "After Twenty Years", it has taken me 2 days to write that; and it'd be worth it if you readit, plz plz plz plz - And yeah - I am not one of thos retards you thinks of. I am a poster of prestige :(
Sat 19/02/05 at 18:24
Regular
Yeah, it was never really meant to be anything as such, just a short story (well duh). I thought my last story was a lot better, and gave you something to think about after reading it, but people who have read both seem to agree this is better. Always seems that things I think are good end up rubbish, and vice versa.

:\

Thanks for reading.
Fri 18/02/05 at 16:29
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Some descriptive beauty in there as-per-usual and as a little t!t-bit, (can't believe I have to sensor that), it works well enough. It's just that it never really grabbed me by the balls and made me think.
I enjoyed reading it, but it's not the kind of thing I'd re-read. It's well written and above a lot of other stuff people write on here, but it was still harmless.

Enjoyable but not your best.
Wed 16/02/05 at 20:27
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I agree with Surrealguy - convincing and realistic ... and very nicely written to boot.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.