GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Even more powerful console than X-Box"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/06/00 at 00:22
Regular
I am suprised that no one has brought this up, but apparently, there is another super console on the way.
I don't know that much, only what I have heard, but apparently some company called Indrema (don't ask me, I have never heard of them) are bring out a console based on Linux. And, get this, rumour has it, it is going to be more powerful than the X-Box.
Can anyone confirm this, or is it just another rumour. Anyone who knows anything, can they please add to this discussion.
Sun 21/01/01 at 16:32
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Ok, knowing the general public's perception of a console purely on specs and the quality of renders it produces, will people start to take the indrema more seriously now the Xbox's true clock speed is revealed?
Mon 15/01/01 at 17:58
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Whenever I've heard it mentioned, Its generally considered a bit of an outside chance for any success... more of an interesting novelty
Sat 13/01/01 at 20:47
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Actually, I remember bringing this topic up about a week ago...
The selling point of the Indrema is the open source technology, they encourage independant developers to make their own games for the platform, freeware or for profit. All games have to go through a certification process before they are released, and this costs money for the developer, but once completed the game is posted on their network for other to download. You can get the SDK now from http://idn.indrema.com , which includes all of the libraries you need. It requires you to be running any Linux distribution, with at least 64mb ram, a 300mhz processor and a GeForce2 GTS. comparing it with the Xbox, it matches up pretty well on specifications, but the whole open source idea may mean we see a better library of titles for it, and the architecture is also designed to be upgradable, with everything on a card that you can simply slide in and out.
Fri 12/01/01 at 11:00
Hey, get this...a console even more powerful than XBOX and Indrema! It's tentatively called, "Neurocast", due to be released by SEGA in a couple of years, utilising Neural net processing to achieve processing speeds hundreds of times faster than anything you can imagine.

The specs?

2Ghz Neural synchro-spec FZ3 compound processor
1Gig Unified RAM
1Tb Hard Drive
Triple buffer Hardware MPEG-2
8 controller ports
4 video outs to power 4 monitors seperately

Wow...I can't wait!!!!!

Oh, and it's not true, but I bet you were all wetting your pants, you sad gits! Face it, there is no Indrema, and never will be. XBOX is currently undisputed king in the power stakes - for now. But, is power alone enough? Probably not, but you can sure as hell bet that Microsoft will NOT back a loser - XBOX will fly.
Tue 05/12/00 at 21:04
I remember checking out the Indrema's specs about 6 months ago when it was first discovered, and they looked dead similar to the XBox's to me. Indrema didn't even announce the machine formally; some news writer just bumped into it on the web.

Linux is a v. cool OS, and the Indrema may or may not be better than the XBox, but it seems very unlikely to me that a small start-up company could topple Microsoft despite any virtues its machine may have.
Fri 01/12/00 at 16:58
"High polygon count"
http://www.indrema.com
Thu 30/11/00 at 00:29
This story was blown open on the Gameplay website. The full story should still be in their archive.

It is rumoured to be more powerful than the Xbox, though it does look a bit like a new fashion toaster.
Tue 28/11/00 at 10:37
well when consoles come out they are not going to make it less powerful then the one b-4
Sat 01/07/00 at 02:23
i highly doubt it will be as powerful as xbox
Sat 24/06/00 at 22:35
Gooner wrote:
> I am suprised that no one has brought this up, but apparently,
> there is another super console on the way.
> I don't know that much, only what I have heard, but apparently
> some company called Indrema (don't ask me, I have never heard of
> them) are bring out a console based on Linux. And, get this,
> rumour has it, it is going to be more powerful than the X-Box.
> Can anyone confirm this, or is it just another rumour. Anyone
> who knows anything, can they please add to this discussion.

Yes you are right. It is not just rumors. Go check this website:
http://www.gxtreme.com/specs/
It looks more like a PC in a console shape then a real console. But it have power indeed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.