GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario History"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Mario World'.
Fri 26/11/04 at 17:07
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Did you know that Mario's first appearence was in 1981 on the Atari and arcade machines. The game was Donkey Kong, which was possibly Nintendo's first ever project. Mario at the time was called "Jumpman" and was a carpenter but when he came out in USA and Europe he was renamed Mario. In the game he has to save his beautiful girlfriend Pauline (looks like thats the original Princess Peach) from the horrible monkey Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong tries to stop Mario by throwing barrels after him. A breakthrough in it´s days and it was hugely popular. Donkey Kong was the first coin up to use the platform and ladder concept. Arcade machines sold many thousands of coppies because of this game, and it has been the foundation for many games.
Sat 27/11/04 at 02:02
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Everything is better in the mind. I saw a bit of it when I was younger and I was forever trying to find it on again because I thought it was awesome. Havent seen it recently but I spotted it in Music Zone for dirt cheap.
Sat 27/11/04 at 01:44
Regular
"Balls"
Crumble wrote:
> I saw it when I was about eight years old. I enjoyed then, yes.
>
> Watched bits of it a fortnight ago, and realised how crap it was.
>
> Shame, really :(

Yep that’s exactly what I thought. I used to think it was amazing from the vivid memories I had of it. Just like many of the old cartoons I used to watch.
Sat 27/11/04 at 00:26
Regular
I saw it when I was about eight years old. I enjoyed then, yes.

Watched bits of it a fortnight ago, and realised how crap it was.

Shame, really :(
Sat 27/11/04 at 00:25
Regular
I kind of like it actually. The first time I saw it I was pretty young, and I really enjoyed it.

So it's kind of nostalgic.
Sat 27/11/04 at 00:22
Regular
Speaking of Mario, the film was on about a fortnight ago.

Anyone see that truly woeful film?
Sat 27/11/04 at 00:17
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Bad terms again since the release of Mario Vs Donkey Kong, it says "After years of apparent good will, Mario and Donkey Kong are at it again". I think Wario is some hideous creature gone wrong. He came in Super Mario Land 3 as an evil mirror version of Mario. Everyone has an evil twin, dont you know?
Fri 26/11/04 at 20:05
"period drama"
Out of interest, where does DK come now in terms of badness and Mario-hating. Aren't they on good terms now?

And where does Wario fit in between Mario and Bowser and DK?
Fri 26/11/04 at 19:40
Regular
"\\"
Wow... I so didn't know that... Thanks.
Fri 26/11/04 at 18:43
Regular
"Bow to me!"
He wasnt really named when he first appeared though. He was just nicknamed Jumpman. He was popular so got a rename for UK and US.
Fri 26/11/04 at 17:28
Regular
Technically, if he was originally "Jumpman" he wasn't Mario then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.