GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Spyware/Trojans!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 31/01/05 at 18:33
Regular
I just learned a hard lesson in spyware and trojan horses! I downloaded Opera 7.54 and it had an ad banner along the top, a mate said get a "crack for it" and I looked on google found one! and tried to down load it, silly me! 183 spyware thing found on ad-aware and 14 viruses! I think I have them all removed safely now but that was a nightmare! not trying that again.

Kev
Wed 02/02/05 at 12:08
Regular
If you click on Active X it`s noramally a virus that has been written and connected to this program called Active X.I saw it once and when i clicked it a pop up came up and said "you can caught a trojan Horse which cannot be deleted/fixed" I searched it and I read that this trojan can mess up your motherboard.It did hapen to me
Tue 01/02/05 at 18:23
Regular
"NULL"
Sorry, what does ActiveX or trojans have to do with your motherboard?

Very few virii actually cause hardware damage any more...and most virii/trojans/worms/spyware can be removed with the appropriate software, or, in a worst case scenario, by reformatting your hard drive. Even the virii that used to mess up your BIOS (which are very rare) could be fixed by reflashing your BIOS.
Tue 01/02/05 at 16:29
Regular
You can`t get rid of a trojan horse they never leave your comp.They totally mess up your motherboard.It happened to me once and i had to get a new computer.Never click onto a bar that says "This site needs Active X please click here"
It fooled me don`t let it fool you!!!
Tue 01/02/05 at 13:44
Regular
Well I think not in that instance, but then am not leaving the keys to mycar all over the net, but yer right again, shame on me again Oh am bad, any way its not my car it belongs my wife and she might have more to say on the subject of taking her car than me ;-)

Kev

Hmmm... wrote:
> Shelljed wrote:
> ...theft is a strong word as theft is when you take some thing and
> keep it?...
>
> So, if I took your car without your permission but dropped it back
> off when I'd had a good blast in it - that's ok is it?
Tue 01/02/05 at 13:09
"Are you sure?"
Shelljed wrote:
> ...theft is a strong word as theft is when you take some thing and keep it?...

So, if I took your car without your permission but dropped it back off when I'd had a good blast in it - that's ok is it?
Tue 01/02/05 at 12:39
Regular
Shame on me :-) I think if we are all being HONEST here we have all "BORROWED" software at some point in our life? why do we spend our hard earned money on "Spyware programmes" if we allow adverts in a "FREE" programme? I would be more likely to buy the programme if it had no adverts and was say a 30 day trial? I do not agree with adverts, theft is a strong word as theft is when you take some thing and keep it? I may not keep Opera lol so they can have it back I prefer borrowed lol.

Kev

Miserableman wrote:
> Coin wrote:
> Not that I agree with that sort of thing, but at the extortionate
> prices software is being sold at we are forced to...
>
> Ah well.
>
> Opera weighs in at under £25. If people stopped stealing it,
> their profits would be higher and they'd be able to charge
> correspondingly less for the software.
>
> [To the OP]
>
> Considering how much something like Opera costs to develop, how good
> a browser it is and how inconspicuous and innocuous the banner
> advertising is, I don't think there is any reason to try and steal
> it. Which is what you're doing every second you're using it, denying
> them advertising hits which earn them money. Shame on you.
>
> Firefox is Mozilla with all the non-browser-y bits stripped out.
> Don't bother switching to Mozilla unless you need all those other
> bits, which you probably don't.
Tue 01/02/05 at 10:09
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Coin wrote:
> Not that I agree with that sort of thing, but at the extortionate
> prices software is being sold at we are forced to...
>
> Ah well.

Opera weighs in at under £25. If people stopped stealing it, their profits would be higher and they'd be able to charge correspondingly less for the software.

[To the OP]

Considering how much something like Opera costs to develop, how good a browser it is and how inconspicuous and innocuous the banner advertising is, I don't think there is any reason to try and steal it. Which is what you're doing every second you're using it, denying them advertising hits which earn them money. Shame on you.

Firefox is Mozilla with all the non-browser-y bits stripped out. Don't bother switching to Mozilla unless you need all those other bits, which you probably don't.
Tue 01/02/05 at 10:02
Regular
"NULL"
I used to use Mozilla, but not used it for many years now. I used to have it for testing my websites in a W3C Compliant browser, but I can use Firefox for that now anyway... If in doubt, download it and try it. I keep a copy of the most popular browsers on my PC for testing, usually:

Firefox
Internet Explorer
Netscape Navigator
Opera
Mozilla
Tue 01/02/05 at 09:20
Regular
I think I did see Mozilla on the latest DVD from PC Pro Mag is it a good browser? or just pretty much the same as Firefox? have you tried it?

Nimco wrote:
> Although Firefox is run by Mozilla, Mozilla also has another browser,
> Mozilla, usually found bundled as part of Mozilla Suite I believe.
>
> I think Firefox and Opera handle the loading of pages slightly
> differently to IE.
Tue 01/02/05 at 08:38
Regular
"NULL"
Although Firefox is run by Mozilla, Mozilla also has another browser, Mozilla, usually found bundled as part of Mozilla Suite I believe.

I think Firefox and Opera handle the loading of pages slightly differently to IE.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.