GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Drink] Real English Ales And Bitters"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/11/06 at 13:30
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
A review of some of my regular and not so regular English Real Ales and Bitters.

Boddingtons

My personal favourite beer, golden coloured with a nice creamy head. When you drink it it’s got a nice smooth texture and a brilliant taste, not too tangy like some bitters can be but not bland like others.

Gives a good aftertaste which you don’t want to get rid of like some beers and drinking it from a can is almost as good as on draught with it’s “draftflow system”.

Unfortunately not many pubs serve it now but if you do happen to come across one that does make sure you have a pint, even if you’re not a bitter fan I guarantee you’ll love this one.

10/10

Directors

A strong hoppy flavoured beer that leaves a strong bitter aftertaste in your mouth, when you drink this you can’t help but purse your lips and swallow a few times to get rid of the aftertaste.

If you like strong flavours this is a good beer to try, personally it takes a bit of drinking and if you like mild beers like Boddingtons this will probably be a bit too overbearing for you.

5/10

Fullers London Pride

Similar to Directors but not as powerful or overbearing. If you find Directors a little too powerful but like the taste go for this one as you’ll be able to drink a few pints of it.

I can’t ever remember seeing this on draught so you’ll have to look in the fridge in pubs to see if they serve it, personally I like to enjoy the taste of my beer so this gets a higher mark than Directors.

6/10

Harry Ramsdens Black Sheep Ale

A very strong beer (about 6.5% ABV) that is only sold in Harry Ramsdens restaurants. Has an even stronger taste than Directors and leaves a very bitter aftertaste in your mouth. A very “burnt wood” taste with a dark, almost black colour that is only slightly lighter in colour than Guinness.

Comes in 500ml bottles and takes some drinking - if you can drink more than one of these and keep it down you’re doing well!

A bit of a novelty beer that has to be tried but I like to relax when drinking beer, not fighting it!

6/10

John Smiths

Another wonderful ale similar to Boddingtons with it’s smooth silky texture, darker in colour giving off a nice dark brown walnut shade with a nice mild malty taste to it.

Tastes better on draught (like most beers) but the “widget” in cans gives it a nice smooth creamy head to enjoy away from the pub. While you know you’re drinking a bitter the taste isn’t overpowering and many pints can be drunk in a session without turning your stomach.

My second favourite beer and the one I drink the most of.

9/10

Marstons Pedigree

Pale coloured and slightly hoppy with a twang of fruitiness about it. Whilst not a bad beer it can leave a bit of a stale aftertaste and there are better beers out there to be drinking.

5/10

Newcastle Brown

Drunk out of the famous 568ml bottles (exactly 1 pint) out of all the beers I’ve drunk this has probably the most similar taste to lager.

A light brown colour it leaves a nice aftertaste in your mouth and isn’t too overpowering although it does give more of a kick than Boddingtons or John Smiths.

Not many pubs seem to stock this but if you do find one that does have a bottle it’ll be worth it.

8/10

Old Speckled Hen

Similar to John Smiths in taste and texture but leaves a bit of an aftertaste that you want to get rid of. If you’re in a beer festival have a pint to tick off your list but if not I’d go for the Smiths instead.

5/10

Ruddles

Similar to Caffreys in that it has a very smooth silky texture, even more so than Boddingtons. Doesn’t have a strong taste to it, in fact it doesn’t have much taste to it and can seem a little watery but it’s perfect for people who like a very mild bitter to sit back and relax with.

I’ve only ever seen this sold in supermarkets so if you see a 4 pack I’d recommend giving it a go.

8/10

Tetleys

A very twangy taste and a pale colour to go with it. A beer for people who like a kick with a drink that leaves a strong aftertaste. Has a smooth texture with a creamy head like John Smiths and is one for people who like a middle of the road bitter.

6/10

Theakstons

Not a favourite of mine. Has a terrible twang to it and leaves a bitter aftertaste in your mouth you want to get rid of. Not as creamy or smooth as other bitters but still has a nice head on it. I only drink this when there are no other bitters available which is infrequent and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

3/10

Worthingtons

Very creamy bitter dark brown in colour similar to John Smiths but with an extra twang to it. Gives a nice cold smooth taste in the mouth when drunk and is up there with my favourites.

8/10
Sat 09/12/06 at 09:44
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
I'm a huge fan of ales, and I must say the London Pride is one of my favourites on that list. Very nice ale indeed. Can't be dealing with non of that lager tat :P

If anyone lives or finds themselves in or around Bath/Wiltshire, look out for a beer called 6X. Brewed by Wadworths in a town called Devizes. Fantastic rich ale, full of flavour and a mourish after taste that will get you wanting more.

I even converted my house mate onto it, and he's a keen lager lout!

Some super markets do sell the bottled versions, even here in Essex! However, this is dog rough and does the real thing no justice at all, so do not be put off from trying it from the pump.

WORD OF WARNING! When drinking ale, make sure it's room temperature to get the full flavour!
Thu 30/11/06 at 13:22
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I be working on a lager one at the minute :)
Wed 29/11/06 at 17:22
Regular
I'm with pb ... crackin idea for a thread though :D
Wed 29/11/06 at 14:04
"possibly impossible"
Can't stand any of them. I like a light, sweet lager such as San Miguel or Cobra rather than the heavier bitter taste of a Bitter or Ale.
Tue 28/11/06 at 13:30
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
A review of some of my regular and not so regular English Real Ales and Bitters.

Boddingtons

My personal favourite beer, golden coloured with a nice creamy head. When you drink it it’s got a nice smooth texture and a brilliant taste, not too tangy like some bitters can be but not bland like others.

Gives a good aftertaste which you don’t want to get rid of like some beers and drinking it from a can is almost as good as on draught with it’s “draftflow system”.

Unfortunately not many pubs serve it now but if you do happen to come across one that does make sure you have a pint, even if you’re not a bitter fan I guarantee you’ll love this one.

10/10

Directors

A strong hoppy flavoured beer that leaves a strong bitter aftertaste in your mouth, when you drink this you can’t help but purse your lips and swallow a few times to get rid of the aftertaste.

If you like strong flavours this is a good beer to try, personally it takes a bit of drinking and if you like mild beers like Boddingtons this will probably be a bit too overbearing for you.

5/10

Fullers London Pride

Similar to Directors but not as powerful or overbearing. If you find Directors a little too powerful but like the taste go for this one as you’ll be able to drink a few pints of it.

I can’t ever remember seeing this on draught so you’ll have to look in the fridge in pubs to see if they serve it, personally I like to enjoy the taste of my beer so this gets a higher mark than Directors.

6/10

Harry Ramsdens Black Sheep Ale

A very strong beer (about 6.5% ABV) that is only sold in Harry Ramsdens restaurants. Has an even stronger taste than Directors and leaves a very bitter aftertaste in your mouth. A very “burnt wood” taste with a dark, almost black colour that is only slightly lighter in colour than Guinness.

Comes in 500ml bottles and takes some drinking - if you can drink more than one of these and keep it down you’re doing well!

A bit of a novelty beer that has to be tried but I like to relax when drinking beer, not fighting it!

6/10

John Smiths

Another wonderful ale similar to Boddingtons with it’s smooth silky texture, darker in colour giving off a nice dark brown walnut shade with a nice mild malty taste to it.

Tastes better on draught (like most beers) but the “widget” in cans gives it a nice smooth creamy head to enjoy away from the pub. While you know you’re drinking a bitter the taste isn’t overpowering and many pints can be drunk in a session without turning your stomach.

My second favourite beer and the one I drink the most of.

9/10

Marstons Pedigree

Pale coloured and slightly hoppy with a twang of fruitiness about it. Whilst not a bad beer it can leave a bit of a stale aftertaste and there are better beers out there to be drinking.

5/10

Newcastle Brown

Drunk out of the famous 568ml bottles (exactly 1 pint) out of all the beers I’ve drunk this has probably the most similar taste to lager.

A light brown colour it leaves a nice aftertaste in your mouth and isn’t too overpowering although it does give more of a kick than Boddingtons or John Smiths.

Not many pubs seem to stock this but if you do find one that does have a bottle it’ll be worth it.

8/10

Old Speckled Hen

Similar to John Smiths in taste and texture but leaves a bit of an aftertaste that you want to get rid of. If you’re in a beer festival have a pint to tick off your list but if not I’d go for the Smiths instead.

5/10

Ruddles

Similar to Caffreys in that it has a very smooth silky texture, even more so than Boddingtons. Doesn’t have a strong taste to it, in fact it doesn’t have much taste to it and can seem a little watery but it’s perfect for people who like a very mild bitter to sit back and relax with.

I’ve only ever seen this sold in supermarkets so if you see a 4 pack I’d recommend giving it a go.

8/10

Tetleys

A very twangy taste and a pale colour to go with it. A beer for people who like a kick with a drink that leaves a strong aftertaste. Has a smooth texture with a creamy head like John Smiths and is one for people who like a middle of the road bitter.

6/10

Theakstons

Not a favourite of mine. Has a terrible twang to it and leaves a bitter aftertaste in your mouth you want to get rid of. Not as creamy or smooth as other bitters but still has a nice head on it. I only drink this when there are no other bitters available which is infrequent and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

3/10

Worthingtons

Very creamy bitter dark brown in colour similar to John Smiths but with an extra twang to it. Gives a nice cold smooth taste in the mouth when drunk and is up there with my favourites.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.