GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Region codes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/05/01 at 16:19
Regular
The region code is on nearly all dvd's and videos and the reason of it is that we don't buy them from other country's before they are released in our own.

but the fact remains, America have heaps of dvd's and videos that are UNAVAILIBLE in the U.K and they are cheaper.

I don't think anyone would mind if you had to wait a couple of weeks before it's released here after the U.S but alot aren't.

Thank the person/s who invented NTSC play on VHS and for multi regional dvd players.
Sat 19/05/01 at 10:00
"possibly impossible"
The problem is that some DVD drives in PCs are hardware encoded, mine is (it's a Panasonic 114 BTW) so no matter what software you use, the region will change, but only a certain amount of times before you lock it into one region.

There are Firmware patches available that will change this, but you do so at a risk to making your DVD drive defunct if it all goes wrong, and without a warranty it's not advisable to do unless you know what you are doing.

Region codes are there to protect the interest of the retail distributors, who are often different companies in different countries. Where Paramount may sell things directly in the US, for instance, Columbia Tristar sell Paramount's goods in the UK, so they'd be losing out if everyone went and bought US discs. It still doesn't make it fair for us, who have to wait for ages for a film to arrive, but at least we are now seeing the same amount of extras on some discs, if not more.

The simplest solution is to invest in a 'cheap' DVD player like the Proline or LG models, or a multiregion model from SR themselves. There is nothing like the experience of watching DVDs on a TV and computer monitors just aren't the same somehow.
Fri 18/05/01 at 22:38
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
My mate has a ATI rage card which has built in DVD decoder and he plays region 1 disks ok. You want to try to download some other software, dont give up there will be a way to get them working.
Thu 17/05/01 at 21:29
He's right, the yanks have loads more DVD's than we have, probably more than we will ever have!!! As during the Christmas period i was fortuate to go out there. Where i visited their equiviliant to our Comit store.

Where to my amazememnt, i saw row after row after row of film media. Probably taking up the same as 4 complete rows at Tesco's. Then to my horror i began to look at prices, they are either the same price in dollars (cheaper because of the exchange rate) or at a lower price in dollars!!! Can you believe that!!!!

Then there's the fact that you are in America where the service is second to none, and i mean that! Its not like our stores where nobody cares, or is only interested in his/hers commision.

Also theres the paying system, a touch screen monitor complete with pen to sign signature. This is on every checkout (35+ by the way). With everybody using it as if it was thr norm. As indeed, we were the only fools who didn't know how to use the thing!!!!!

What i ask is, 'how can they afford to do such things and we can't' why can't we be more like America.

Something that i also forgot to mention was release dates for films. Films over there are released much quicker than they ever are here. This is because the people demand it. No sooner is it at the cimema is it out on dvd. Over here, they just exploit the fact we are a more refined race.

But what i really wanted to post was about pc dvd players and region codes. Everyone knows dvd's here are region 2 and our players only play region 2 (forget about multi-region players) and American dvd's are region 1 (and so on). But look at you computer software (if you play your dvd's on you pc). Mine is Cyberlink Power DvD, and that allows me to play all region dvds, and to make sure i downloaded DVD Genie.

But yet, nothing happens, all i get is an error message. Leaving me with a broken heart, although i can run the dvd rom features, but that isn't the same thing!

And then a welling emmotion called anger builds up in me. HOW CAN WE BE SOLD DVD DRIVES AND SOFTWARE THAT ARE MIS-MATCHED!!!!!!! I get the feeling this would never happen in the states.

So here i am, left with 2 brand new dvd's (Gone In 60 Seconds and M:I-2) both released almost half a year before they were out here, sulking. My nice little saving and pre-viewing all went pear shaped!!!

Jac
Thu 17/05/01 at 18:42
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
residentevilfan wrote:
> The region code is on nearly all dvd's and videos and the reason of
> it is that we don't buy them from other country's before they are
> released in our own.

Since when has region coding been applied to videos? It's the signal format that causes the trouble. As you later mention NTSC compatible VCRs solve this.

but the fact remains, America have heaps of
> dvd's and videos that are UNAVAILIBLE in the U.K and they are
> cheaper.

EVERY DVD available in America can be bought here over the Internet, and for less than the equivalent UK price.

I don't think anyone would mind if you had to wait a
> couple of weeks before it's released here after the U.S but alot
> aren't.

I think you mean that, although many people would be willing to wait a couple of weeks (so long as the disc they got was of the same quality) there will always be those who must have it before anyone else. Since the difference where I get them from is, in most cases, only £1 more for the US version (unless it's a double disc, in which case it's the same price) I'll get a film as soon as I can. Who wouldn't?

Thank the person/s who invented NTSC play on VHS and
> for multi regional dvd players.

How many contradictions can be crammed into such a short post?
Thu 17/05/01 at 16:39
Regular
I have the new PSM2 mag, and guess what. Some Jap firm is making a memory card which removes the region coding on the PS" DVD player.
Thu 17/05/01 at 16:22
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
What?
Thu 17/05/01 at 16:19
Regular
"Back For Good"
The region code is on nearly all dvd's and videos and the reason of it is that we don't buy them from other country's before they are released in our own.

but the fact remains, America have heaps of dvd's and videos that are UNAVAILIBLE in the U.K and they are cheaper.

I don't think anyone would mind if you had to wait a couple of weeks before it's released here after the U.S but alot aren't.

Thank the person/s who invented NTSC play on VHS and for multi regional dvd players.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.