GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ARE NINTENDO RUBBISH AT MAKING GAMES?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/05/01 at 15:33
Regular
Now ther's a controversial title! Before you post without reading what I have to say, please remember I have no doubt that Shigsy is one of the greatest (if not THE greatest games maker ever!). Nor am I saying that Nintendo games are anywhere next to excellent. Read on...

Several years ago, just as polygons were taking off and 2D games were thought to never be replaced, Shigsy Miyamoto was designing a new game. This was to be a 3D fighter unlike anything the world was to have seen. After spending years months working on the project he gave up. Nintendo were unable to create the game- it was too hartd to program.

Yet! In the same space of time, Sega had been making a very similar game to great effect. It was called Virtua Fighter, and the rest is history...

FAST-FORWARD TO THE PRESENT.

Nintendo are making Zelda 64. It is meant to take 2.5 years to make. Then it is delayed. And delayed. And delayed. Reason? It's taking longer than they thought (NOT they are perfecting it... perfection only takes a few months... the delays lasted a year and a half!)

Same story with many other of Nintendo's latest games.

So what's going wrong? Well, in my view one of 3things might be happening:

1) Overambition means that the games become so complicated they take a long time. However, if this is the case, then why should they underestimate the time needed to make the game so much?

2) The dev kits are too hard to work with. The is certainly a reason why Square abandonned the 64... but who programed the dev kit? Nintendo's r&d department!

3) Nintendo are simply bad at programming games. Now, I don't think that this is very likely... Ninty will use only the best programmers. However, these are the people who could not take to jump from 2d to 3d. Maybe they have not be trained in the new techniques being used, or do not have the flare shown by AM2- the team behing Virtua Fighter, F355,Shenmue and many many others!

So, that's the topic. I for one will wait as long as needed to play the next zelda... my 3rd fav game ever!!! However, while that's happening many other great games will be being made. There's something for u to debate over

Sonic
Mon 21/05/01 at 22:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
PieroGas wrote:
> Kid Rock wrote:
> please name me a mag

C&VG only had a
> refreshingly small item on X-Box, and that was pretty much slagging
> it off.

Die Microsoft, die!!! (unless you prove to be better than
> all the others in which case I might consider you)

A Sony &
> Nintendo fan.

Please read my topic titled "BIAS IN THIS FORUM". You might find some of it useful when thinkning up topics! (Unless this was sarcasm and I'm too stupid to see it, in which case I appologise!)

Sonic
Mon 21/05/01 at 21:56
Kid Rock wrote:
> please name me a mag

C&VG only had a refreshingly small item on X-Box, and that was pretty much slagging it off.

Die Microsoft, die!!! (unless you prove to be better than all the others in which case I might consider you)

A Sony & Nintendo fan.
Mon 21/05/01 at 21:30
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
SHEEPY wrote:
> SonicRav wrote:
> sheepy?

Sonic

Sorry I don't know what
> came over me :D

lol! U still got my vote though! (Mind you... seeing as the vote is during exams I might not even vote! AHHH)

Sonic
Sun 20/05/01 at 17:42
Regular
"Excommunicated"
SonicRav wrote:
> sheepy?

Sonic

Sorry I don't know what came over me :D
Sun 20/05/01 at 17:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
sheepy?

Sonic
Sat 19/05/01 at 18:58
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
SHEEPY wrote:
> No to your title question, the gamecube games are very
> good.

POWER OF THE SHEEP

Another very idiotic thing to say (esp from the best poster on the FOG, excluding th notables).

If you read the FIRST LINE of the FIRST POST of the topic, then u will see that I in no way am saying Nintendo games are bad! Just that they are rubbish at programming them. However, due to high standards, delay them till they are coded right... read the topic to get an admittion of this happening in the past from none other than SHIGSY MIYAMOTO!

Sonic
Sat 19/05/01 at 17:33
Regular
"Excommunicated"
No to your title question, the gamecube games are very good.

POWER OF THE SHEEP
Sat 19/05/01 at 17:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Edgy wrote:
> Can you prove that the original 2 Zelda's aren't gonna be
> re-released?

They could both fit on one Gameboy Advance cart!

Actually, I was just thinking this.

This is the bottom line. For games pre-NES (ie amiga and the rest) then it is fine to use emulators.

For anything post Nes then it is not.

For the actual NES... hmmmmm?

Sonic
Sat 19/05/01 at 17:15
Regular
Can you prove that the original 2 Zelda's aren't gonna be re-released?

They could both fit on one Gameboy Advance cart!
Sat 19/05/01 at 17:13
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Edgy wrote:
> SonicRav wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> I've played all but the NES
> ones. I want to play
> the NES ones but
> I'm not gonna
> download illegal
> roms.....

It's not illegal to download old
> games for which the
> license has not been renewed. Seeing as
> Nintendo won't lose anything
> if you get an emulator rather
> than a 2nd hand copy of the game then
> it's fine in my
> view.

Sonic

Copyrights last for 70 years or until the creator
> dies.
And even then, companies can renew the copyrights!

Actually there's a difference between copyrights and licences. And anyway, Nintendo won't mind if a competent gamer downloads a (10???) year old game that is not made anymore, nor will be re-released, in order to satisfy their hoby of gaming. If it were Mario 64 however...

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.