GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Silent Laptop Fan"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 17/01/05 at 16:10
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I've got a lovely Iridium S865 laptop and although it's great when it's silent, as soon as the fan comes on it sound as if a small aircraft is taking off. It's just unbearable when the fan goes full speed.

Is is possible to replace the fan with something quieter as it really is a pain in the ass when I want to work in the quite and I have to put up with this fan making a racket!

Thankoo.
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:48
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Stupid laptop.

I wanna play decent games.

:c(
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:46
The RAM won't be compatible. You'll need a 2.5 > 3.5" converter for the HD, and there's a good chance the CPU wil break before you detach it from its motherboard.
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:41
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Hmmmm, this laptop has got a 60GB HD, a 2.66Ghz P4 and 512MB RAM...

Wonder if I can take it to bits and put it into a proper PC?

Hmmmm.
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:34
That's the problem with laptop fans. They're so small, that in order to extract the same amount of heat as a larger fan, it needs to do more rotations per minute, which in turn generates more noise.

Watercooled laptops should be a viable alternative in the future. I saw Zalman make a compact laptop heatsink for notebooks, not sure how that went though.
Fri 21/01/05 at 00:17
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's not so much the fan, it's the sound of the air rushing in that makes the most noise!

I might give it a clean later, see if it's blocked up.
Mon 17/01/05 at 18:57
I have the same problem. When i am charging the laptop up the battery cooling fan turns on with the normal fan i think i am living at an airport!
Mon 17/01/05 at 16:37
Regular
"NULL"
Can you not run speedstep or Cool'n'Quiet/Q-Fan or anything phi11ip?
Mon 17/01/05 at 16:37
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Something that might be worth considering is a laptop cooler. Theres several varieties available but generally they are meant for either improving the airflow internally or helping heat to dissipate.

Of course you'd have extra fans going then, but they MIGHT help to stop the internal fan kicking in so much and making so much noise.
Mon 17/01/05 at 16:35
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
They do get quiet, my first laptop was silent, then my second was constantly blowing, and my new one is even more silent.
All of them got as hot as each other, so my second fan was just poor design i guess.
Mon 17/01/05 at 16:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yeah, mine is loud as well when it's going full guns. I thank Intel for speedstep technology.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.