GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Firewall Help?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 11/01/05 at 15:34
Regular
Hi folks could some one possibly help me out here. I am going onto Freeola Broadband next Wednesday, cant wait! we have four computers in the house (husband wife and two children) I have bought the E Tec asdl router from Freeola and a think I understand how it all goes together, seems straight forward enough.

My question is about FIREWALL? what is it? how do I get? build? one and where do I put it? i.e. on every PC? in the router? I have no idea and what one should I buy? or download from the net?

any advice or help much appreciated.

Kev
Thu 20/01/05 at 20:25
Regular
cjh wrote:
> Would you mind popping back to this forum and giving a little review
> of the Freeola Broadband service once you've given it a go?

Its FAST, as I thought broadband would be! give you an example my wife sent 37 digital pictures to Bonusprint online normally this would take about one and a half hours ish, today it took less than 5 minutes! thats fast indeed, website like O2 fly in unlike on dial up when you fall asleep waiting if you were thinking about it then do it, along with the speed you get web space and unlimitted email accounts along with cheap domain registration and friendly support staff, what more do you need.
Thu 13/01/05 at 18:19
Regular
Yep that makes perfect sense, I have been on the internet for a long time and am up to speed on virus checkers and spyware and update them several times a week, but just never had dealings with or really understood firewalls, I am glad I asked on here though and you guys have been very good in your help, thank you all very much! it is really appreciated. Thanks to all who replied to this thread.

Kev

Miserableman wrote:
> Shelljed wrote:
> OK will do, OK so if am understanding all this here is how it is?
> correct me if I am wrong!
>
> Leave NAT on (Default) should not need a firewall as NAT should do
> it
> for me? if I upgrade to windows XP SP2 (not much chance) use the
> installed firewall. Meanwhile all 4 computers will can connect to
> the
> net through the router and we can still play games and share files?
>
> Sounds to easy lol
>
> Kev
>
>
> Your router will have NAT turned on by default and you'll have to
> really scrabble around in the settings to turn it off. In addition,
> doing so will probably break your internet connection. Don't worry
> about any other form of firewall security, the "knowledge/effort
> required" to returns ratio drops off rapidly once you have a NAT
> router installed. This assumes you are up to speed on other
> security measures you should take when connected to the internet
> namely not opening e-mail attachments that aren't guaranteed to be
> completely safe and not downloading and running cracked (or otherwise
> unsafe) software off the internet. A working knowledge of what
> spyware is and how to protect against it will also help, visit this
> page for some good advice about that:
> [URL]http://www.io.com/~cwagner/spyware/[/URL]
>
> If you want to know what a NAT router does, it acts a bit like a
> telephone switchboard. Pretend that you're working in an office with
> four people with a telephone on each desk. They are connected to the
> internal telephone system so they can phone each other ad-infinitum,
> but this is not directly bolted to the external telephone system -
> none of the people in your office have a telephone number that people
> from outside the office can contact you on. However, if they want to
> make outgoing calls they can do it through your switchboard - any
> time you dial a external number (999 for example, a helicopter just
> crashed into your roof) your switchboard will automatically and
> transparently pick up the call and forward it to wherever you wanted
> to dial. This is a great setup if you don't want to be contacted by
> krank callers and breathers - of all the parts of your office
> telephone network only the switchboard maintains a presence in BT's
> phone network. People phoning your switchboard from the outside won't
> get anywhere, as there is no mechanism by which people from the
> outside can say "I want to contact so-and-so on the internal
> network" (pretend extension numbers don't exist). If I were to
> dial your phone number to tell you about this great new deal on
> vacuum cleaners I've got, your switchboard won't know who the call
> was meant for and will refuse to deal with it.
>
> Now substitute your PC network into the example. The telephone on
> each desk is a computer, and the NAT router is the switchboard.
> Incoming calls would be connection attempts to your computers, which
> are the important things to stop (or at least have control over).
> Worms spread to your computer by opening a connection to it and
> exploiting a security flaw in a service. With a router in the way, a
> worm running rampant on the internet has no way of establishing a
> connection with any of your computers, so they are safe.
Thu 13/01/05 at 17:13
Regular
"NULL"
That's actually a very good analogy! Good effort!
Thu 13/01/05 at 16:50
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Shelljed wrote:
> OK will do, OK so if am understanding all this here is how it is?
> correct me if I am wrong!
>
> Leave NAT on (Default) should not need a firewall as NAT should do it
> for me? if I upgrade to windows XP SP2 (not much chance) use the
> installed firewall. Meanwhile all 4 computers will can connect to the
> net through the router and we can still play games and share files?
>
> Sounds to easy lol
>
> Kev

Your router will have NAT turned on by default and you'll have to really scrabble around in the settings to turn it off. In addition, doing so will probably break your internet connection. Don't worry about any other form of firewall security, the "knowledge/effort required" to returns ratio drops off rapidly once you have a NAT router installed. This assumes you are up to speed on other security measures you should take when connected to the internet, namely not opening e-mail attachments that aren't guaranteed to be completely safe and not downloading and running cracked (or otherwise unsafe) software off the internet. A working knowledge of what spyware is and how to protect against it will also help, visit this page for some good advice about that: [URL]http://www.io.com/~cwagner/spyware/[/URL]

If you want to know what a NAT router does, it acts a bit like a telephone switchboard. Pretend that you're working in an office with four people with a telephone on each desk. They are connected to the internal telephone system so they can phone each other ad-infinitum, but this is not directly bolted to the external telephone system - none of the people in your office have a telephone number that people from outside the office can contact you on. However, if they want to make outgoing calls they can do it through your switchboard - any time you dial a external number (999 for example, a helicopter just crashed into your roof) your switchboard will automatically and transparently pick up the call and forward it to wherever you wanted to dial. This is a great setup if you don't want to be contacted by krank callers and breathers - of all the parts of your office telephone network only the switchboard maintains a presence in BT's phone network. People phoning your switchboard from the outside won't get anywhere, as there is no mechanism by which people from the outside can say "I want to contact so-and-so on the internal network" (pretend extension numbers don't exist). If I were to dial your phone number to tell you about this great new deal on vacuum cleaners I've got, your switchboard won't know who the call was meant for and will refuse to deal with it.

Now substitute your PC network into the example. The telephone on each desk is a computer, and the NAT router is the switchboard. Incoming calls would be connection attempts to your computers, which are the important things to stop (or at least have control over). Worms spread to your computer by opening a connection to it and exploiting a security flaw in a service. With a router in the way, a worm running rampant on the internet has no way of establishing a connection with any of your computers, so they are safe.
Thu 13/01/05 at 14:42
Regular
OK will do, OK so if am understanding all this here is how it is? correct me if I am wrong!

Leave NAT on (Default) should not need a firewall as NAT should do it for me? if I upgrade to windows XP SP2 (not much chance) use the installed firewall. Meanwhile all 4 computers will can connect to the net through the router and we can still play games and share files?

Sounds to easy lol

Kev

Nimco wrote:
> Lol, just leave NAT on - it's set to be on by default apparently.
Thu 13/01/05 at 13:45
Regular
"NULL"
Lol, just leave NAT on - it's set to be on by default apparently.
Thu 13/01/05 at 13:44
Regular
Eh ok and what does that mean in English please he he that went right over my head, so do I use NAT or not? I want all four computers to connect to the internet, and still be able to share files and play games between them, this is sounding a bit complicated to me, am sure its not though in reallity? please say its straight forward pretty please?

Kev

Nimco wrote:
> NAT = Network Address Translation.
>
> Basically every computer on your network has a private IP address
> (e.g. 192.168.0.1 etc). These are private IP addresses only, and
> cannot be used on the Internet.
>
> The router has an external IP address as well as an internal, private
> IP address. The NAT facility translates requests from inside the
> network on an internal IP address to the external IP address of the
> router, and when the data is being received, sends it to the
> appropriate internal IP address.
Thu 13/01/05 at 11:43
Regular
"NULL"
NAT = Network Address Translation.

Basically every computer on your network has a private IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.1 etc). These are private IP addresses only, and cannot be used on the Internet.

The router has an external IP address as well as an internal, private IP address. The NAT facility translates requests from inside the network on an internal IP address to the external IP address of the router, and when the data is being received, sends it to the appropriate internal IP address.
Thu 13/01/05 at 10:42
Regular
By all means I will let you know how I get on with Freeola Broadband, it has to be better than BT Dial up. since I told BT I was leaving the connection has been slower than useual

Kev (6 days and counting to broadband)

cjh wrote:
> Would you mind popping back to this forum and giving a little review
> of the Freeola Broadband service once you've given it a go?
Thu 13/01/05 at 10:40
Regular
OK what is NAT ? and should I use it if its available?

Kev

Nimco wrote:
> Hmmm... wrote:
> FYI - As you've gone for a Router, this does infact have a firewall
> built in (using something called NAT), so already this is much more
> secure than an ADSL Modem.
>
> Assuming he uses NAT....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.