GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Leaving BT - Suggestions for a cheap fast uncapped BB provider?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/01/05 at 19:31
Regular
Well today I've finally noticed some problems with my BT connection. I think they were switching to a capped service as of January and throughout the day my connection has been freezing up every so often and pretty much not running as fast as it use to. (Downloading and/or gaming would be fine then suddenly 0k or game disconnects happen about 9 times so far).

I share the connection with 3 other PCs, an Xbox and PS2 (I have two brothers). I would like a 512k or 1Mb connection if the price is right but doesnt matter as long as it's uncapped.

Has anyone else left BT recently because of their capping, who did you go with and what is their service like?

Any recommendations or "I'm with blah blah, they're uncapped, seems okay" posts are appreciated. Thank you.
Fri 07/01/05 at 21:49
Regular
"-_-"
secret_squirrel™ wrote:
> Im with Pipex on 1.1Mbps...great for like 33.99 a month! Always get
> up to 120kb/s and more aswell...hardly any downtime...very
> rare...only happened to me twice. Once was a router blowing up at
> their end and the other was a server replacement.

you guys are looneys
www.ukonline.net
or [URL]http://www.ukonline.net[/URL]
8 mbit down 400 k up there is a cap- 500 gb so i doubt youll be going over that in a month....seeing as like bt's is 5 or something.
Dom
P.S no i dont have it its not in my area yet :(
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:40
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
£38 per month!? When are NTL doing their speed boost thing - I'm prepared to put up with the retards in customer service.
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I can vouch for Zen too, used it for 2 years and simply perfect in my opinion. I've had Pipex for the past 6 months too and where as its ok, not a patch on Zen in terms of reliability.

As a general point regarding uncapped services. You're going to find many more services moving towards a capped system in the future. For some time now, BT wholesale has been charging ISPs based upon usage based system. Ultimately some of the smaller ISPs will find it difficult to sustain low uncapped prices I think. So at least in the short term, the cheapest might not be the best option as you might find yourself stuck with a capped service further down the line.
Fri 07/01/05 at 13:57
Regular
"NULL"
Zen are very good ([URL]http://www.zenadsl.com[/URL]). They're not the cheapest in the world, but I think their service page sums up how reliable they are [URL]http://status.zensupport.co.uk/[/URL].

ADSLGuide show them to be one of the fastest as well. I can vouch for the speed and reliability having been with them for 2 years without a glitch. A couple of times I've suspected a problem, phoned them up, only to find out it was something my end. The tech support is fantastic - they've helped me with network issues at my end.

Also, they have 1 month minimum contract so if you don't like them, you can leave after the first month.
Fri 07/01/05 at 13:51
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
My mates on supanet. No complaints from him, 20 odd quid a month 1mb and uncapped.

[URL]http://www.supanet.com/[/URL]
Fri 07/01/05 at 13:48
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Another happy pipex customer here, but I've only been using their service for about a month
Fri 07/01/05 at 13:40
Regular
Yeah I am contacting BT tonight to join PlusNet on their 2MB connection. Tried calling last night but their Sales department was closed. Not paying for a capped line, not a chance.

I was going to go with the Bulldog DSL 4MB/400K connection however I can't bloody get in touch with them when I call :)
Fri 07/01/05 at 13:07
Regular
AOL cough.

Crap software, but fast and uncapped :).

Always Blueyonder and NTL too.

AOL £29.99 for 1Mb uncapped :).
Thu 06/01/05 at 20:05
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
Bulldog are suppose to very good, we will go there if freeserve say that we have gone over our 30GB cap. Which I’m sure we have but they just don’t give a crap.
Thu 06/01/05 at 20:05
"Bothered!"
Im with Pipex on 1.1Mbps...great for like 33.99 a month! Always get up to 120kb/s and more aswell...hardly any downtime...very rare...only happened to me twice. Once was a router blowing up at their end and the other was a server replacement.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.