GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oxbridge - Justified or not?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/05 at 23:09
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Just had argument about this, not sure what I think really.Seems to me that it is another way in which the rich enable thier children to become rich.

POINT ONE: Elite universitys create an elite class who have great influence over how we are ruled.

My understanding is that a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is more likely to get you a job than one from Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol etc. Therefore, top jobs in positions of power (or positions from which you can progress to power) are going to go to Oxbridge graduates. Although there are obviously exceptions, it makes logical sense that there are going to be a significant amount of Oxbridgers in positions of power.

By positions of power, I suppose I mean things like polititians, but I also mean people in the buisness world. I admit that I'm ignorant about the workings of things like this, but I assume that they employ people who work up through the ranks to eventually be on boards, be major shareholders, executives and things like that. Top of the heierarchy of the company, people whose decisions affect things.

Let's take the Murdoch corporation as an example. A job there will have loads of applicants, so the company can pick and choose and, given that a 1st from Oxford in Buisness is better than a 1st from Sussex in Buisness, Oxbridge people will get the job. Hence Oxbridge people being in power. In power in the Murdoch corporation means having a degree of influence over what the British population think, since thinking is controlled in part at least by the media.

All these people will know each other. There will be a network of powerful people who know each other from Oxford / Cambridge university. You went to Cambridge, and now your son wants a job - you speak to an old friend who is powerful within the Murdoch corpoatation. You went to Bognor Regis Uni, and now your son wants a job - there is none waiting within such an organisation.

(Please bear with me)

OK, that doesn't sound so bad. The most intelligent/hard working are in positions of power. Here is my second attempt at a point.

POINT TWO: IT IS NOT THE MOST INTELLIGENT WHO ARE ABLE TO GET IN TO OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE.

I'm fairly sure about this. I am not saying it is possible to be completely thick and get into these unis. It isn't. Getting AAA, or AAAA, or AAAAA at A-Level is bloody hard. However, your chances of doing so are relative to your wealth.

If you go to a rubbish, low achieving sixth form / college (which tend to be found in poorer areas, yes?) it will be harder to achieve excellent grades due to quality of teaching, resources, etc. Actually, scratch that. These will play a part, but it will be harder to achieve grades if your college is that which places the emphesis on educating you rather than training you for exams.

If you go to a private school, you will be exam trained to perfection. I know, I have a girlfreind at one. That is what these places are for.

Getting tired now, please poke holes in my argument, that is why I have bothered to type it out. It needs clarification, I know, but this is the jist of it.

Ta for reading.
Wed 05/01/05 at 23:09
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Just had argument about this, not sure what I think really.Seems to me that it is another way in which the rich enable thier children to become rich.

POINT ONE: Elite universitys create an elite class who have great influence over how we are ruled.

My understanding is that a degree from Oxford or Cambridge is more likely to get you a job than one from Manchester, Nottingham, Bristol etc. Therefore, top jobs in positions of power (or positions from which you can progress to power) are going to go to Oxbridge graduates. Although there are obviously exceptions, it makes logical sense that there are going to be a significant amount of Oxbridgers in positions of power.

By positions of power, I suppose I mean things like polititians, but I also mean people in the buisness world. I admit that I'm ignorant about the workings of things like this, but I assume that they employ people who work up through the ranks to eventually be on boards, be major shareholders, executives and things like that. Top of the heierarchy of the company, people whose decisions affect things.

Let's take the Murdoch corporation as an example. A job there will have loads of applicants, so the company can pick and choose and, given that a 1st from Oxford in Buisness is better than a 1st from Sussex in Buisness, Oxbridge people will get the job. Hence Oxbridge people being in power. In power in the Murdoch corporation means having a degree of influence over what the British population think, since thinking is controlled in part at least by the media.

All these people will know each other. There will be a network of powerful people who know each other from Oxford / Cambridge university. You went to Cambridge, and now your son wants a job - you speak to an old friend who is powerful within the Murdoch corpoatation. You went to Bognor Regis Uni, and now your son wants a job - there is none waiting within such an organisation.

(Please bear with me)

OK, that doesn't sound so bad. The most intelligent/hard working are in positions of power. Here is my second attempt at a point.

POINT TWO: IT IS NOT THE MOST INTELLIGENT WHO ARE ABLE TO GET IN TO OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE.

I'm fairly sure about this. I am not saying it is possible to be completely thick and get into these unis. It isn't. Getting AAA, or AAAA, or AAAAA at A-Level is bloody hard. However, your chances of doing so are relative to your wealth.

If you go to a rubbish, low achieving sixth form / college (which tend to be found in poorer areas, yes?) it will be harder to achieve excellent grades due to quality of teaching, resources, etc. Actually, scratch that. These will play a part, but it will be harder to achieve grades if your college is that which places the emphesis on educating you rather than training you for exams.

If you go to a private school, you will be exam trained to perfection. I know, I have a girlfreind at one. That is what these places are for.

Getting tired now, please poke holes in my argument, that is why I have bothered to type it out. It needs clarification, I know, but this is the jist of it.

Ta for reading.
Wed 05/01/05 at 23:17
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> If you go to a rubbish, low achieving sixth form / college (which
> tend to be found in poorer areas, yes?) it will be harder to achieve
> excellent grades due to quality of teaching, resources, etc.

Although you could argue that if a person is intelligent enough, they should be able to work indepently to make up for inadequacies in their education.

Meh.
Wed 05/01/05 at 23:25
Regular
"gsybe you!"
My Dad got an MA just for going to Cambrdige. And paying a guinea.

Woot.
Wed 05/01/05 at 23:46
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
> Mouldy Cheese wrote:
> If you go to a rubbish, low achieving sixth form / college (which
> tend to be found in poorer areas, yes?) it will be harder to achieve
> excellent grades due to quality of teaching, resources, etc.

The college I went to was a dump. Really it was. Full of what you call Chav's. There were some people there who just about managed to get 1 A level, but there were also people who managed to get into Oxbridge. I knew about 10 people from college 2 of which are at Oxford or Cambridge now.

At my 6th form, which was the best in the borough and so much better than my college, no one went to Oxford or Cambridge.

So, from my experience at least, I don't see what difference it makes whether you go to a good school or not. The end result is always what the individual puts in.

If someone did go to a low achieving 6th form/college and worked mostly on their own and still managed to get into a university, let alone Oxbridge, then they are the ones who will do better at University since most courses require lots of self study. The students who get spoon fed what they need to write in their A level exams at a private school, will find it harder once they get to university since they don't have the experience of self study.
Thu 06/01/05 at 08:57
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
i hate oxford. but i used to like them till they rejected me. wunkers
Thu 06/01/05 at 09:14
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Oxford and Cambridge are not modern Universities, they are a law unto themselves. For that reason I wouldn't consider going there or encouraging others to go there.
Mon 10/01/05 at 02:08
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
One of my friends just got into Cambridge. Not rich at all, completely state educated.
Mon 10/01/05 at 02:08
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Blank wrote:
> One of my friends just got into Cambridge. Not rich at all, completely
> state educated.
Tue 11/01/05 at 20:45
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Obviously, there are exceptions. 45% from private schools though, still high.
Wed 12/01/05 at 08:13
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Less than half for the UK's top university is unexpectedly low, I'd say.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.