GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SPAM to FREEOLA accounts."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/01/05 at 15:53
"Are you sure?"
Hello -
In the last day or so I've noticed a marked increase in SPAM, mostly coming from @addr.com with the subject similar to 'softkware' ?

The strange thing is that some of the email addresses aren't on any website or known to anyone, are being targetted. The only way I can think of anyone getting these addresses is by the freeola control panel!

I've created a rule to bin them all, but thought I would see if anyone else is seeing this.

Thanks.
Tue 04/01/05 at 15:53
"Are you sure?"
Hello -
In the last day or so I've noticed a marked increase in SPAM, mostly coming from @addr.com with the subject similar to 'softkware' ?

The strange thing is that some of the email addresses aren't on any website or known to anyone, are being targetted. The only way I can think of anyone getting these addresses is by the freeola control panel!

I've created a rule to bin them all, but thought I would see if anyone else is seeing this.

Thanks.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:01
"Bothered!"
This is not Freeola specific, trust me...I have a private email account and I have also noticed an increase in software related spam from @addr.com addresses. I shudn't worry about it, just DO NOT reply to them in any way...not even to say "I don't want these anymore"....that just tells them that you are there. Ignore them and in a couple of weeks, they stop...hopefully.

SS
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:03
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for that SS - makes me feel a little better...

I still can't understand how my 'private' addresses have been found?!?
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:11
Regular
"NULL"
It's very simple to setup a program that can verify whether an email address is valid or not - i.e. whether mail sent to it is bounced or not - and which doesn't require sending an email to test it.

They could simply have targetted your domain name with a dictionary-based attack to find them.
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:53
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
It's even worse if you have catch-all enabled!

Favourite names to spam are, info@ , admin@ , sales@ and webmaster@.
Tue 04/01/05 at 20:05
Regular
"NULL"
Yup - I was getting those as well on one account - just disabled catch-all on it. Alternatively, just setup a manual redirect for each of those 4 addresses to some random other address. :)
Sun 09/01/05 at 15:09
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I got these too, on each and every email account under my domain name hosted with Freeola.
Sun 09/01/05 at 16:18
"Are you sure?"
FWIW:

After my initial post things settled down for a while with no more spam received from @addr.com for 3-4 days. Then on Friday I had a another load - to all of my email addresses but only on some of my FREEOLA domains. Since then nothing.

Looking around it seems addr.com (an ISP) has a bit of a reputation for allowing spam.

It's hard to believe the addresses have been 'found' by some sort of automation, as I'm sure the number of attempts it would have to make to find some of my development emails would swamp freeola's email servers!

It would be nice to hear from a member of staff - but Afternoon's left, I believe, and it doesn't seem many others get to this forum...

NB. Freeola don't have a catch-all type arrangement that was mentioned earlier.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.