GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD Picture Quality"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/05/01 at 15:22
Regular
My first posting on this forum so hi to everyone :-)

Just like to say 1st a thanks to Wookie for posting the info on the lip-sync workaround, tried it out last night and it worked fine....had a few problems with the "Shaft" DVD.

Only problem I now have is with my PS2 I get a black border appear at the top of the screen with white lines in it and the picture jumps a few times and then settles down for a while. I must get this about every 5 mins during the DVD, again I'm not really that worried because I have a dedicated DVD player but just wondered if anyone had experienced this as well.

The films that it does it on ranges from Gladiator, Jackie Brown, Shaft, Terminator etc although not all DVD's do it.

Any thoughts?
Sat 19/05/01 at 11:13
Regular
My DVDs seem to be all fine now except for Jaws which I have to turn the machine horizontally to watch!
Sat 19/05/01 at 11:08
Regular
mines fine but i only rent them out
Thu 17/05/01 at 15:02
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
The PS2 is a state of the art game console and also it can play DVD’s straight out of the box. With a price of £299 it is very good value for what you get, the PS2 was not designed to be a fantastic DVD player, just a good one, which it is. Also do not forget that it is the only games console that can play DVD’s straight out of the box, and that includes the Xbox and Gamecube.
Thu 17/05/01 at 12:59
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Thanks for the tip viper, i also bought my PS2 on launchday from EB so I think I'll have a word with them. Your ordeal sounds an absolute nightmare with Sony, which is surprising seeing how good they normally are!

I hadn't been worried about it until a recent shuffle of furniture meant having to trapse up and down stairs to watch on my Denon player. My first thoughts were that Sony have put lower quality DAC into the PS2 and couldn't put use the smae as those in £400 dedicated players, probably to keep the cost down!

So much for the PS2 becoming the all-in-home-entertainment system we were all promised!

Now that should get you all going!!! :-)
Thu 17/05/01 at 12:13
Regular
Someone is blethering, the PS2 has a dedicated MPEG2 decoder chip in it (hardware btw), it just isn't the best one going. Sony make a lot of money out of DVD players why would they want to make the PS2 dvd perfect when they want to encourage people to buy dvd players at £400+. It just seems like good business sense to me.
Thu 17/05/01 at 11:47
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Well that’s good for Gamecube, but just one small problem it will not play DVD films!
Thu 17/05/01 at 11:43
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
You can now take your PS2 back to where you got it from and they will exchange it for a brand new one. I had a launch day PS2 and after a couple of months it started playing up, so I called sony and they delivered a replacement (the replacement you will get from sony in a PS2 that was broke and then fixed by them, so second hand) the replacement was even worse than the first. In total I had 4 PS2 from them, each one was worse than the one before. I may be unlucky or maybe they are not very good at fixing them. If I were you I would call the place you got it from and see if they will exchange it for a new one. I got mine from Currys and they will change your old one for a new one, not a “reconditioned one”.
Thu 17/05/01 at 11:37
"High polygon count"
Absolute BS - the playback is perfectly reasonable on PS2.
Thu 17/05/01 at 11:23
Picture quality on the PS2 for movie playback is very,very poor- a dedicated hardware decoder is what you want, like what will be available for the GameCube.
Wed 16/05/01 at 23:03
Regular
"Back For Good"
Nope I have the gladiator and the terminator dvd and they seem to work fine.must be your console

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.