GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 online - good news and bad..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/05/01 at 14:01
Regular
From Ananova.com...

Sony Computer Entertainment is teaming up with America Online to offer high-speed internet access.

Sony is hoping the deal will give its PlayStation 2 an edge over rival consoles by Microsoft and Nintendo.

Using accessories expected to be available in December, millions of PlayStation 2 owners will be able to chat electronically and exchange instant messages and e-mails with other players.

"If you are playing a strategy or mission-based game and you need to talk strategy with your teammates, you can do that," said Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, based in Foster City, California.

AOL and Sony executives said the companies will host demonstrations of their joint technology this week during the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. Neither company would disclose the financial arrangements.

In doing so, they hope to trump Microsoft and Nintendo, which will offer their own game boxes in time for the holidays.

-----

So, the good news is... it's coming. The (potntially) bad news is... it's AOL.
Sat 19/05/01 at 10:17
Regular
it will cost loads in phone bills
Fri 18/05/01 at 16:28
"High polygon count"
More from http://ps2.ign.com ...

-----

Sony's booth showcased a couple of its online games playable on a network across the floor.

May 17, 2001

At yesterday's pre-E3 press conference, Sony Computer Entertainment America announced that at least five new online games were being planned for released around the time that the company will release its network adapter. The games incuded Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Twisted Metal Online, Tribes II, Frequency and SOCOM.

SCEA had both Tribes II and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 networked and fully playable at its booth. What's more, these games were linked to games that were shown in the Sierra and Activision booths that were in the hall on the opposite side of the convention center.

Just like any other LAN-based multiplayer, there was no noticable lag or connection problems. And while this isn't exactly like they would play online via DSL or another high-speed access provider, it provides a similar experience.
Thu 17/05/01 at 18:08
Regular
That means that if you've got a blueyonder(Telewst) cable modem, like me, Sony might well make the broadband modem compatible with thier system.
Thu 17/05/01 at 18:07
so does that mean we can only play people in the same country as us?
Thu 17/05/01 at 16:58
Regular
Wookie, you the man!!

Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> More from Ananova.com ...

-----

Fans of Sony Playstation 2 may
> soon be able to take each other on at their favourite games
> regardless of where they are in the country.

The entertainment
> firm has struck a deal with cable firm Telewest to make its games
> available over the Woking-based company's television
> network.

Telewest has invested millions on enabling homes around
> Britain to have speedy internet access and interactive TV through
> broadband technology.

Broadband connections offer internet access
> up to 10 times faster than via conventional narrowband modem
> links.

Sony said it would be testing downloading facilities that
> could eventually allow customers to try out new Playstation 2 games
> with Telewest later this year.

It would also look into the
> feasibility of multi-player gaming via the cable firm's
> network.

A Sony spokesman said this could see customers from
> across the country linking up to a central server and waiting for
> challengers - be it one opponent for a football match or 21 others
> to form the whole grid for a Grand Prix.

Other services may allow
> opponents to send each other messages during games as events
> happen.

The spokesman said Sony did not feel conventional
> narrowband technology would have "delivered the
> experience" it wanted its customers to have.

The first
> trials will be conducted later this year, and Sony hopes it will be
> launched for the public next year.
Thu 17/05/01 at 16:46
"High polygon count"
More from Ananova.com ...

-----

Fans of Sony Playstation 2 may soon be able to take each other on at their favourite games regardless of where they are in the country.

The entertainment firm has struck a deal with cable firm Telewest to make its games available over the Woking-based company's television network.

Telewest has invested millions on enabling homes around Britain to have speedy internet access and interactive TV through broadband technology.

Broadband connections offer internet access up to 10 times faster than via conventional narrowband modem links.

Sony said it would be testing downloading facilities that could eventually allow customers to try out new Playstation 2 games with Telewest later this year.

It would also look into the feasibility of multi-player gaming via the cable firm's network.

A Sony spokesman said this could see customers from across the country linking up to a central server and waiting for challengers - be it one opponent for a football match or 21 others to form the whole grid for a Grand Prix.

Other services may allow opponents to send each other messages during games as events happen.

The spokesman said Sony did not feel conventional narrowband technology would have "delivered the experience" it wanted its customers to have.

The first trials will be conducted later this year, and Sony hopes it will be launched for the public next year.
Wed 16/05/01 at 20:28
what got my attention was in the special reserve news letter thing when it said there using the aol messenger. every1 i know uses msn messenger.
and im not sure is the internet on ps2 just fro surfing, or playing games against other people like zone.com? if its just for surfing i can use this comp im writtin from.
Wed 16/05/01 at 17:30
Regular
I'll be mightily peeved if they do the same over here, I already have a Blueyonder cable modem and if it isn't compatible i'll sell my ps2 and bye something that is!!
Wed 16/05/01 at 17:25
> However, I know for a fact that there are still web
> sites that do not display and/or function correctly with the AOL
> browser. Other features such as streaming audio and video also have
> some problems; being a Babylon 5 fan, I've visited many sites with
> streaming B5 video, and there have been several which state that
> they do not function with AOL, or that they require a patch
> downloading first.

It's a bit less of a problem these days, now that the AOL software incorporates MSIE for the web browsing. As for the PS2, I'd like to see AOL (or Microsoft, for that matter) try to port Internet Explorer to the PS2!

Maybe that's why AOL is considering breaking off with Microsoft and using Netscape 6's browser engine (as they own Netscape) - maybe it'd be easier to port to the PS2. Who knows?
Tue 15/05/01 at 22:34
Regular
There is still hope then.

I don`t have any experience with paying for the net. At home, I use my Dad`s connection. At uni its all free to use. However, if I start having to pay my own way with monthly charges and hourly rates and stuff, its going to get tricky! I will have to read about this a lot nearer the time, so that I know if its worth it for a student like me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.