GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox or PS2?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/01 at 14:35
Regular
Who is going to win the next generation war? I didn’t know there was a war, with the dominant PlayStation already outliving it’s estimated reign at the top of the games sales charts – even the consoles are apparently selling 4 to every one PlayStation 2 that’s sold! But the new war will bring new arrivals and maybe at least one of them will displace the PSX from the shelves once and for all – no offence to Sony, as they made a classic machine.

The X-box is the Microsoft machine that will be incredibly large but all mightily powerful totally outperforming the PlayStation 2 – from early screen shots. Check out the X-box website at www.Xbox.com and have a look around. The X-box will offer DVD technology as well as the most incredible up to date graphics in the best games you’ll ever play (hopefully) and so Microsoft could be onto a winner with this one. It arrives in 2002 in about March or April, so there’s less than a year to go. I think it could win the supposed war, and knock the PSX and PS2 out the way.

The PS2 or PlayStation 2 is a games machine already suffering from a botched line up of games, but is coming good with some amazing titles, although these are few and far between. Star Fighter, the Star Wars game shows signs of the PS2’s potential, whereas ISS and FIFA show signs that the PS2 is a big messed up machine. It has a DVD player so you could save yourself a lot of money here, but will the £299.99 price tempt enough away before Microsoft arrive?

The Nintendo Game Cube will be Nintendo’s next machine, but will it make it out? I have heard rumours that the Game Cube production has been put on hold for the time being, but I suspect it will arrive in 2002 quarter one. It should be a format for all, although the mini disc type discs that it will play look slightly suspicious – is there a DVD player with it? Maybe a nice £150 price will tempt you.

Dreamcast – is this going to be even talked about in a few years? It’s on its last legs and has stop in production, but is the only online ready console at the moment and so you can play games against people across the world and in Europe. The games available for it are great, but the PS2 will surely be better soon with the 100mhz of extra power!

So I predict the X-box or the PS2 will take all. Have a good time playing the games!
Tue 15/05/01 at 19:42
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I think that which ever console that offers the best games will have my vote, since they will be having the same games made for each console then it's up to graphics and framerate, + i'd rather buy a PS2 because I don't want to give any more of my money to Bill G.
Tue 15/05/01 at 19:41
Regular
Well, Sniper hasn't been around for a while, and my brain is in China, so you're the next in line.
Tue 15/05/01 at 19:35
Regular
"I like cheese"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Ant wrote:
"I chose FM as the funniest guy on
> FOG."

>You're lucky to be entertained so easily, Ant. :0)

Grix, have you stopped annoying Sniper and changed to annoying me now?? {:)
Tue 15/05/01 at 19:35
Powered by the NV20 chipset and with easy portings of PC games the XBox is going to be hard to beat but don't mock the GameCube it perfectly respectable and when compared to the PS2 is amazing, it also has many excelent games due out on release day but will it still suffer from the N64's lack of games. Well the GmaeCube is very powerful and also very, very easy to develop for and hasn't got any restiction like the cartridges. The disc is a cut down DVD because you don't need 26GB of storage, as for movies there will be a seperate DVD movie option available, this will give far superior playback quality to the ps2 shoddy little thing and should surpass even the Xbox DVD quality. The GameCube will ship with a 56K modem and a high speed option will be available; ISDN,cable, ADSL. It is important to note that the GameCube is a gamers machine unlike the competition and should make it better at gameing; the ps2 and Xbox try to do your ironing and come complete with a kitchen sink and so make a complete mess of everything they do. e.g. you would never buy a PS2 to watch DVD movies on or listen to music! Nintendo will also be trying desperately to try and rid itself of its cute mario style with a load of top games. We have already seen many game developers ditch the PS2 because it has so many problems and is so hard to use, however, many have gone straight to micro$oft.

Also to note that there will be a new console from sega and also there is other competition- the Indrema console. It is supposedlly as fast as the Xbox, be fully upgradable, it runs Linux OS, and will have loads of free and share ware titles, UT and Q3 have been secured for it. You will also be able to program your own software for free on it. It should also have excelent Internet access but I doubt it will be so hacker friendly as most Linux PCs.

Tue 15/05/01 at 19:30
Regular
Ant wrote:
"I chose FM as the funniest guy on FOG."

You're lucky to be entertained so easily, Ant. :0)
Tue 15/05/01 at 19:22
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
He actually said it was 'the FIRST one', not the only one.

Please read posts more carefully in the future.
Tue 15/05/01 at 19:20
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Kid Rock wrote:
> YH wrote Dc pad was revolutionary because it had a stick and buttons
> so what does the N64/PSX/PS2 have

1) Improve your grammar.

2) I think you'll find the PSone pad was the first tohave a stick and buttons. Unless you were extracting the urine.
Tue 15/05/01 at 19:17
Regular
YH wrote Dc pad was revolutionary because it had a stick and buttons so what does the N64/PSX/PS2 have
Tue 15/05/01 at 15:54
Genre defying. Buy a Saturn and the original. Wait and pray for a Nights 2 on GameCube.
Tue 15/05/01 at 15:35
Regular
What sort of game is it, what genre?

Anyone got a version for an emulator?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.