GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wireless internet/networking on several PCs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/11/04 at 15:31
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I have a friend (!) who currently has a PC in her office (Windows XP Home) connected to broadband via the crappy modem supplied by BT and a PC in her bedroom (Windows 95/98, I think) with no internet connection. She is about to buy her daughter a laptop (Windows XP home) which has a wireless network card in it and wants to be able to:

a) allow the laptop to connect to the internet wirelessly;
b) allow the bedroom PC to connect to the internet wirelessly;
c) access files stored on any computer from any other one;
d) play the piano

So, I'm assuming she needs to buy:

i) a wireless router/modem of some kind;
ii) wireless network cards for her desktops;
iii) a piano

Can you advise me on a suitable router/modem and/or network cards to buy, please?

Also, is it going to be tremendously difficult for me to set it all up? I have past experience of setting up wired networks and know all about sharing folders etc., but have zero experience of wireless ... in the PC world at least!

Oh, and I lied about the piano bit.
Sat 27/11/04 at 15:31
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I have a friend (!) who currently has a PC in her office (Windows XP Home) connected to broadband via the crappy modem supplied by BT and a PC in her bedroom (Windows 95/98, I think) with no internet connection. She is about to buy her daughter a laptop (Windows XP home) which has a wireless network card in it and wants to be able to:

a) allow the laptop to connect to the internet wirelessly;
b) allow the bedroom PC to connect to the internet wirelessly;
c) access files stored on any computer from any other one;
d) play the piano

So, I'm assuming she needs to buy:

i) a wireless router/modem of some kind;
ii) wireless network cards for her desktops;
iii) a piano

Can you advise me on a suitable router/modem and/or network cards to buy, please?

Also, is it going to be tremendously difficult for me to set it all up? I have past experience of setting up wired networks and know all about sharing folders etc., but have zero experience of wireless ... in the PC world at least!

Oh, and I lied about the piano bit.
Sat 27/11/04 at 18:00
"Are you sure?"
As no one else has helped so far I thought you like this :¬)
[URL]http://www.kbears.com/playmusic/keyboard.html[/URL]

It works for me, hopefuly it will for you but I know you haven't got a proper puter!!! (Bad Apple)
Sat 27/11/04 at 20:38
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Erm ... thanks for that.

Not a proper computer? How many times has yours crashed in the last month and how many times have you had to reboot?
Sat 27/11/04 at 20:39
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Although I'm not him, I can't even remember the last time my PC crashed :' }.
Sat 27/11/04 at 20:51
Regular
"Twenty quid."
That's what sniffing glue will do to you.
Sat 27/11/04 at 20:55
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
V funny.

Seriously though, my PC *never* crashes.
Sat 27/11/04 at 20:58
Regular
"Twenty quid."
To be fair, mine didn't much either.
Mon 29/11/04 at 09:33
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Anyone ... ?

:,^(
Mon 29/11/04 at 09:43
Regular
Right, you can probably get cheaper, but I'd recommend these:

[URL]http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=155&osCsid=6a83f9d09772953d388df01ba274d61b[/URL] for the Wireless modem/router and a wireless PC Card for the Lappy.

[URL]http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26_33_88&products_id=71[/URL] for a Wireless adapter for the Desktop. You can get a USB version too, [URL]http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=26_33_90&products_id=224[/URL] , depends on preference though.

That's basically it. Everything will access the net and you can do away with the God-awful BT Modem.

I'm afraid I can't help with the accessing files on one-another's PCs though, I still don't know how to do that successfully :(
Mon 29/11/04 at 10:50
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ßulle†† wrote:
> That's basically it. Everything will access the net and you can do
> away with the God-awful BT Modem.

What's the problem with it? Mine's been fine.

> I'm afraid I can't help with the accessing files on one-another's PCs
> though, I still don't know how to do that successfully :(

Use the network wizard and assign both machines to the same workgroup for example "Home". Both machines should be visible via the network, and you can fileshare quite easily.

Tim, good luck with the setup. It can go one of two ways.

1) Simple plug and play, instantly accessable.
2) A four hour long nightmare of firewall problems, WEP digital encyption settings, "limigted or no connectivity" and lots of shouting and system restaring.

Guess which one I had after SP2 installation..........

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.