GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've been threatened with legal action!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/11/04 at 21:12
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Go me!

It's pretty long winded too; something to do with me having a video on my site that was made by another company, however the other company used copyrighted footage from another company to make the video.

I'm being threatened for allowing it to be downloaded off of my site even though I didn't make the video!

The letter I got, (PDF letter, although they say they're posting it to me,) is quite 'official' and such and it's coming from a solicitors too!

Oh the fun! I doubt anything will come of this though as the video is being hosted at millions of other places, I think it's just a random letter to try and scare me into taking the video off.

Just to make things even better, the company is in New Zealand!

Wooooooooo!
Thu 25/11/04 at 17:06
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Getting about 500 - 700 a day now, which is quite good. Still got no motivation to remake it all though!
Thu 25/11/04 at 17:00
Regular
"Bicycle"
Well, at least it proves you're site is getting more popular.

How many hits a day / week / month?
Thu 25/11/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
OK, they've replied again. Doesn't seem as threatening as before but still very official.

The letter came to my house today too, DHL'd to me from NZ! I can't open it however as I'm not at home for another 3 weeks and I don't want anyone to open it for me!
Mon 22/11/04 at 18:26
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Tellah wrote:
> It's all a bit confusing to me... I mean where/when does this become
> illegal?

"...it appears that X made or obtained the unauthorised clip and used it to advertise their goods and services and authorised or allowed others to place the clips on their websites or be distributed over the Internet..."

"...our client considers that by including the copyright work on your site that you have committed a restricted act and that your actions constitute clear infringement of its copyright..."

I'll make this simple.

+Nature LTD film penguin falling through ice.

+Clip is ripped off of TV by random person and emailed to a few mates.

+Few mates email it around and it's placed on websites.

+[So far the copyrighted clip has been put onto a website in it's original form]

+X LTD get a hold of the clip and digitally edit it so that there's a small difference and that the logo of X LTD appears on the video.

+Nature LTD suddenly realise that the clip has been used illegally with no royalties paid to them.

+Nature LTD is suing everyone under the sun who is using the clip.
Mon 22/11/04 at 18:17
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
eye'Aoe wrote:
> phi111ip wrote:
> Oh I removed it straight away, I'm not that stupid! The letter has
> my
> address and everything in it so they're know their stuff!
>
> A quick Whois search?
>
> Scary stuff.

Meaning it's personalised and not a mass email.
Mon 22/11/04 at 18:14
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
It's all a bit confusing to me... I mean where/when does this become illegal?

What about all the Star Wars etc. etc. fan sites out there? I'm sure they didn't all ask permission to display every little image... so what's their legal position? Are they in breach of copyright, but Lucas turns a blind eye because they are promoting the brand rather than devaluing it?

How about if I had a forum and someone posted with a signature image of.. say Harry Potter.. would I as the owner of the site be required to pull the image from the site if Bloomsbury/Warner Bros. asked me too? Or would it be the responsability of the person posting?

Maybe you were just unlucky recieving this legal letter... I should imagine 90% of sites have something that some one/company would deem infringing their copyright.
Mon 22/11/04 at 18:08
Regular
"\\"
phi111ip wrote:
> Oh I removed it straight away, I'm not that stupid! The letter has my
> address and everything in it so they're know their stuff!

A quick Whois search?

Scary stuff.
Mon 22/11/04 at 18:04
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The original clip is owned by a New Zealand nature company who are getting annoyed because they captured the video and received no credit for it. They were going to sell it on to other people but they can't now because it's been 'devalued' by other sites just offering it for free.

The main case is against the Red Lorry Yellow Lorry company that used the copyrighted footage to promote their business. I think the letter I got was just telling me to remove the video even though it was seriously written.
Mon 22/11/04 at 17:23
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
phi111ip wrote:
> The one of the penguin getting tripped up.

No way! that's insane, that's just a joke video, how can someone claim credit for it.?! Ive seen the original video of the pengiun just tripping up and with out the other penguin in it, surely they must be breaking copy right laws adding the other penguin in...?
Mon 22/11/04 at 17:08
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
No, there's nothing illegal on my site now!

Nothing = Not Much

It's not visable to you lot anyway so I don't care...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.