GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA = Awesome! Pre order yours now!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 09/05/01 at 17:09
Regular
How many of you guys have actually pre-ordered the GBA? Act now! Firstly let me tell you that the GBA is the best 200 quid I ever spent, as I went and brought an imported copy. You have heard all of the hype that the little beauty has been getting, well believe it. I don't even know how to begin to explain the Game Boy Advance.

I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this portable since the day that I heard it was going to be released. Well it is here, almost. Handhelds just happen to be my favorite type of video games. Ever since I was kid, I had always loved them more than consoles, I never really knew why. But hey who cares right? I had every handheld that ever was, and I couldn't wait to see what handheld would come out and out do the last, I never thought that Nintendo would ever be the company that blew everything else out of the water, but I was wrong!

You will not even want to pick up your old Game Boy Color when you get your hands on this. Everything else is just kid's stuff!

You just have to see the Game Boy Advance in action to fully appreciate what this system can do. One thing I immediately noticed was the beautiful graphics that this little machine cranked out. Imagine Super NES with a mix of N64 and you get the GBA. It looks and feels like something in between a 16-bit and a 32-bit system. The graphics are better than the old Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo, but not as good as the N64 or at least not yet. The games I played were the first batch of games, so I give the system about 6 months till we start seeing the mind blowing graphics that we all are all so eager to see.

In comparison to all of the other portable systems, GBC, Lynx, Game Gear, and Turbo Graphics Portable this is the most advanced system graphically to date. Hence the name Advance. I always thought that nothing would be able to touch the Lynx. You had the backlit, big full color 16-bit screen with all of those nice colors running ramped across the screen. The Lynx had that sweet scaling and rotation function that the other systems didn't have. Well minus the backlit screen, the GBA has all of that and more.

The graphics On the GBA are really impressive. There smooth and extremely fluid. The animation on the GBA is equally impressive, many individual sprites can be displayed at once, each doing something different. One thing that caught my eye were the backgrounds, the GBA has the most detailed colorful backgrounds that I have ever seen on any color portable system. Just playing the few games that I was able to buy, I noticed how somewhere in the background were little animated creatures, plants or whatever. Unfortunately, pictures can't show you exactly how impressive the GBA looks, you just need to get some hand on experience yourself. You get the picture.

That brings me to the sounds. Good-bye annoying beep-boing sounds! You can't even compare this with the GBC as far as sound goes. I am talking about MP3 quality sound. You have to put on headphones to get the full effect of the sound capabilities with the GBA. It has the clearest sounds and digitized voice that you have ever heard on a handheld. The songs and music tracks on the GBA games that I played were worthy of CD based consoles. Crisp and clear, I love it! You must hear it to believe it.

One thing that Nintendo did differently that is definitely noticeable was the way the system is laid out. The controls are located on the side of the screen instead of the bottom like the GBC was. And you will notice the addition of two buttons on the top of the unit as well; these are great for racing games for shifting gears. The unit is also more comfortable that the GBC too, it fits perfectly into my hands and is lighter also. There is still the ext. jack for a printer and some other yet to be named add ones, and a volume dial but no external power source jack. That tells me that there is a battery pack on the way. The battery life is longer as well; you get about 3 to 4 hours more life than you would with the GBC. All of that in this sleek, futuristic looking little powerhouse.

As far as compatibility with GBC goes, everything is backwards compatible with the GBA. You can play all of you favorite games from the GBC on your GBA. The GBA games are smaller the GBC games which is cool because they fit in your pocket better. You can stretch the screen of the GBA to make GBC games fill the entire screen (the GBA screen resolution is higher than the GBC and the screen is bigger), which is cool, if you want you GBC games to have that "Big Look".

As far as games and release dates, this system has the backing that the GBC had. Do not fear game shortages, for there are already 60+ games in development. There is also going to be over 20 games to hit the shelves on its US system launch date. The games that I got to play are solid and entertaining and really fun to boot. Make sure you check out our GBA game overviews on some of the early games. With plenty of after market support and peripherals, you rest assured that this system will not be another crap system like the Neo Geo Pocket.

Well what can I say? I am in love! If it were up to me, this would win the system of the year, and yes I know about the Xbox and everything, but this system is so cool! If you GBC users are debating weither or not to buy a GBA, get one! It is totally worth the money. Once you play this thing, you will never go back to any other handheld. Even you die-hard console gamers owe it to yourself to check the GBA out, it might just make you into a handheld game fan as well. Ok, I'm done ranting about it, it's just that im in love with mine. Better pre order your copy now, this thing is going to dissapear!
Wed 09/05/01 at 19:49
Regular
Different cars..... tracks different kind just racing i dunno!
Wed 09/05/01 at 19:40
Regular
"Whatever!"
I have a question - Is GT Advance a completley different game to Top Gear GT Advance??
Its just I read somewhere that GT Advance is being published by THQ over here but am still confused between the two cause one of them isnt suppose to be that good!!
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:47
Regular
This guy works for some rival company or something.
Or he works for SR!
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:39
I basically brought every title that was available in the store (3). Mario, Chu Chu Rocket and Castlevania. Chu Chu is my favourite, a great DC conversion, this will do for the GBA what Testris did for the original GB. Mario Advance is brilliant too, really takes me back to my retro years when I played All Stars on my snes constantly. Castlevania is a decent enough game, stays true to its genre, I play this the least though. Either way these games look goregous, I love this thing! Now, if only we were to get Resident Evil Advanced, wow.....
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:19
Regular
"Rendering Women."
I got Gran Turismo Advance Today...

...oh my GOD Grix, I don't like racers that much but this is the best game of the lot I have played on the GBA, the game is just so good, by far the best game I have played so far on a handheld...

...and I am getting quite excited because E3 is.... close ... and my colleague leaves tommorrow...

**I am playing GTA now, but typing this because of the 'finished race' screen...

Thanks
er-no

P.S Kuri Kuri racing is S....
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:13
Regular
Hey JJ.

What games do you have? F-Zero? Mario?

I found some great news today. I've got a GBA too, you see, and I agree, it's great. :0)

Anyway, multiplayer with F-Zero. The Japanese F-Zero will work perfectly with multiplayer with the English F-Zero's... something that was worrying me. :0)

Unfortunatly, the English Mario doesn't work with the Japanese Mario. But I've only got F-Zero, so it doesn't bother me. :0)
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:13
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, I just clicked submit on my order...£68
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:12
"High polygon count"
TWO HUNDRED QUID?

I wouldn't pay that for a handheld if it was hand-carved from a gold bar by Shigsy himself!
Wed 09/05/01 at 17:09
How many of you guys have actually pre-ordered the GBA? Act now! Firstly let me tell you that the GBA is the best 200 quid I ever spent, as I went and brought an imported copy. You have heard all of the hype that the little beauty has been getting, well believe it. I don't even know how to begin to explain the Game Boy Advance.

I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this portable since the day that I heard it was going to be released. Well it is here, almost. Handhelds just happen to be my favorite type of video games. Ever since I was kid, I had always loved them more than consoles, I never really knew why. But hey who cares right? I had every handheld that ever was, and I couldn't wait to see what handheld would come out and out do the last, I never thought that Nintendo would ever be the company that blew everything else out of the water, but I was wrong!

You will not even want to pick up your old Game Boy Color when you get your hands on this. Everything else is just kid's stuff!

You just have to see the Game Boy Advance in action to fully appreciate what this system can do. One thing I immediately noticed was the beautiful graphics that this little machine cranked out. Imagine Super NES with a mix of N64 and you get the GBA. It looks and feels like something in between a 16-bit and a 32-bit system. The graphics are better than the old Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo, but not as good as the N64 or at least not yet. The games I played were the first batch of games, so I give the system about 6 months till we start seeing the mind blowing graphics that we all are all so eager to see.

In comparison to all of the other portable systems, GBC, Lynx, Game Gear, and Turbo Graphics Portable this is the most advanced system graphically to date. Hence the name Advance. I always thought that nothing would be able to touch the Lynx. You had the backlit, big full color 16-bit screen with all of those nice colors running ramped across the screen. The Lynx had that sweet scaling and rotation function that the other systems didn't have. Well minus the backlit screen, the GBA has all of that and more.

The graphics On the GBA are really impressive. There smooth and extremely fluid. The animation on the GBA is equally impressive, many individual sprites can be displayed at once, each doing something different. One thing that caught my eye were the backgrounds, the GBA has the most detailed colorful backgrounds that I have ever seen on any color portable system. Just playing the few games that I was able to buy, I noticed how somewhere in the background were little animated creatures, plants or whatever. Unfortunately, pictures can't show you exactly how impressive the GBA looks, you just need to get some hand on experience yourself. You get the picture.

That brings me to the sounds. Good-bye annoying beep-boing sounds! You can't even compare this with the GBC as far as sound goes. I am talking about MP3 quality sound. You have to put on headphones to get the full effect of the sound capabilities with the GBA. It has the clearest sounds and digitized voice that you have ever heard on a handheld. The songs and music tracks on the GBA games that I played were worthy of CD based consoles. Crisp and clear, I love it! You must hear it to believe it.

One thing that Nintendo did differently that is definitely noticeable was the way the system is laid out. The controls are located on the side of the screen instead of the bottom like the GBC was. And you will notice the addition of two buttons on the top of the unit as well; these are great for racing games for shifting gears. The unit is also more comfortable that the GBC too, it fits perfectly into my hands and is lighter also. There is still the ext. jack for a printer and some other yet to be named add ones, and a volume dial but no external power source jack. That tells me that there is a battery pack on the way. The battery life is longer as well; you get about 3 to 4 hours more life than you would with the GBC. All of that in this sleek, futuristic looking little powerhouse.

As far as compatibility with GBC goes, everything is backwards compatible with the GBA. You can play all of you favorite games from the GBC on your GBA. The GBA games are smaller the GBC games which is cool because they fit in your pocket better. You can stretch the screen of the GBA to make GBC games fill the entire screen (the GBA screen resolution is higher than the GBC and the screen is bigger), which is cool, if you want you GBC games to have that "Big Look".

As far as games and release dates, this system has the backing that the GBC had. Do not fear game shortages, for there are already 60+ games in development. There is also going to be over 20 games to hit the shelves on its US system launch date. The games that I got to play are solid and entertaining and really fun to boot. Make sure you check out our GBA game overviews on some of the early games. With plenty of after market support and peripherals, you rest assured that this system will not be another crap system like the Neo Geo Pocket.

Well what can I say? I am in love! If it were up to me, this would win the system of the year, and yes I know about the Xbox and everything, but this system is so cool! If you GBC users are debating weither or not to buy a GBA, get one! It is totally worth the money. Once you play this thing, you will never go back to any other handheld. Even you die-hard console gamers owe it to yourself to check the GBA out, it might just make you into a handheld game fan as well. Ok, I'm done ranting about it, it's just that im in love with mine. Better pre order your copy now, this thing is going to dissapear!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.