GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unemployment Benefit"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/10/04 at 10:29
Regular
"Excommunicated"
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3745580.stm[/URL]

Government is planning to cut benefit for pensions. Personally, I don't see the problem... especially when I met someone the other day who has been living off unemployment benefit for years and told me he has no intention of getting a job.

Kind of made me angry, didn't want to start another fight though.

Views?
Mon 18/10/04 at 16:35
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I signed on for temp work in June just before I left Woolworths. Since then, I've been offered one job which I couldn't take as I was busy that week. Too many people around here want that sort of work and there just isn't enough. Eventually in August/September I rang up about JSA as I simply could'nt carry on like I was.
Mon 18/10/04 at 16:25
Regular
After I finished uni it took me 12 weeks to get a job. I didn't claim any benefits, just signed up with some temping agencies. I really did some disgusting/mind numbing/tedious jobs (I was sent to about 7 different places over the 12 weeks), but I was earning around £200 a week, which was plenty enough to live off, while I looked for a permanent job.

There's always loads of temping jobs advertised in our paper, so instead of claiming benefit people should be forced to sign up with an agency instead.
Mon 18/10/04 at 16:03
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Hedfix wrote:
> Hmmmmmm.

> Can you refuse to do jobs where there's a fair amount of risk?

No. Most jobs are in bomb disposal and hostage negotiation. "Over 10,00 ft Parachute tester" was also popular.
Mon 18/10/04 at 16:02
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
The system seems to be in a period of change at the moment. I only got that booklet twice. They suggest jobs from their own database of jobs. I'm eligable for New Deal now and hopefully I'll get a job early next year through an extended work placement, which is what I need.
Mon 18/10/04 at 14:34
Regular
"8==="
Hmmmmmm.

Might have to start on JSA when I go to Edinburgh in a bit.

Can you refuse to do jobs where there's a fair amount of risk?

What sort of jobs have people been offered?
Mon 18/10/04 at 13:43
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
There's a little booklet we have to fill in now to say what we do to help our search, when, and how. Did you not have that when you were on it?

Signing on for the last time this Thursday as I'm starting work a week on Tuesday.

The system works.
Sun 17/10/04 at 19:37
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
Trish wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> Or it should be like australia where you have to prove that you have
> been looking for a job to continue to get the benefit.
>
> Thats the way it is here

It's the way it's meant to be here, but (at least back in 2001) they weren't checking up on me to see if I was job searching. At the most they'd ask if I was searching, I'd say "yes" (I wasn't lying, but I COULD have been) and they'd take it at face value rather than checking up on the when's and the where's.

Glad I'm off it anyway, though I do know someone that's 21 and only worked 1 day in his life before quitting and going on JSA. Unemployed for 4 and a half years now. Sick isnt it?
Sun 17/10/04 at 18:24
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
cookie monster wrote:
> Or it should be like australia where you have to prove that you have
> been looking for a job to continue to get the benefit.

Thats the way it is here
Sun 17/10/04 at 18:19
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
I've already got two student loans to pay off.
Sun 17/10/04 at 17:11
Regular
"...y'crazy fool!"
Strafio wrote:
> Knowing that your wages would be cut to pay for benefits, would you
> EVER want to get a job after being on so long?

Well, sure they'd be cut - but it doesn't have to be repaid in large chunks. Depends what you're earning recently, £5 a month off a monthly wage packet isn't going to break the bank.

I guess though that would mean that benefits turn into loans, and the country is in enough debt as it is ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.