GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Most over-hyped games..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/05/01 at 16:17
Regular
You've been waiting months for the latest release. Eveyone's been talking about it. It will rule. You even had a copy reserved, just to make sure there was one there waiting for you. Now it's the time to collect it. You're up early in the morning, and waiting outside the shop before it opens at 08:30. Your heart leaps as the shopkeeper comes into view, walking slowly toward the fron of the shop. Too slowly. Why can't he hurry up? Eventually he get's to the door, and opens it up. You step inside. Are you walking on carpet or air? ou're not quite sure.

Then everything starts to happen so quickly. Before you know it, you've paid for the game, taken it home, and removed it from it's casing. For the first time, you realise you'd were so worked up you'd gone up town in your pyjamas. That explains the funny stares. Never mind though, that's not important now. You fumble the game into place, and switch everything on. The loading screen takes too long.

Eventually, you're in. After a short intro, the game itself has started. That which you've been playing for months is now here..

....and it's lame. You could've had more fun with a tin of catfood. After it's passed through the cat. Depressed, you sit back on the chair, and start to regret spending £40 on this heap of junk.
-------------------

Yes, there's a point to all this:

So... what are the most overhyped/dissapointing games you've ever bought?
Mon 07/05/01 at 16:17
Regular
"smile, it's free"
You've been waiting months for the latest release. Eveyone's been talking about it. It will rule. You even had a copy reserved, just to make sure there was one there waiting for you. Now it's the time to collect it. You're up early in the morning, and waiting outside the shop before it opens at 08:30. Your heart leaps as the shopkeeper comes into view, walking slowly toward the fron of the shop. Too slowly. Why can't he hurry up? Eventually he get's to the door, and opens it up. You step inside. Are you walking on carpet or air? ou're not quite sure.

Then everything starts to happen so quickly. Before you know it, you've paid for the game, taken it home, and removed it from it's casing. For the first time, you realise you'd were so worked up you'd gone up town in your pyjamas. That explains the funny stares. Never mind though, that's not important now. You fumble the game into place, and switch everything on. The loading screen takes too long.

Eventually, you're in. After a short intro, the game itself has started. That which you've been playing for months is now here..

....and it's lame. You could've had more fun with a tin of catfood. After it's passed through the cat. Depressed, you sit back on the chair, and start to regret spending £40 on this heap of junk.
-------------------

Yes, there's a point to all this:

So... what are the most overhyped/dissapointing games you've ever bought?
Mon 07/05/01 at 16:22
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Bah... littered with typos

The most annoying being:

"That which you've been playing for ages"
instead of
"That which you've wanted to play for ages"

D'oh. Must start proof reading my posts....
Mon 07/05/01 at 16:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hmmm.

I wouldn't say disappointed, but I agree. Quite a lot of over-hyped games are disappointing. MGS would be one (too short), Tekken Tag and ZOE. That said some are great (Starfighter, SSX & TimeSplittters).

But then again, most people read reviews first...
Mon 07/05/01 at 17:12
Regular
"You've upset me"
turbonutter wrote:

I wouldn't say disappointed, but I agree. Quite a lot of
> over-hyped games are disappointing.

Well that makes sense!
Mon 07/05/01 at 17:29
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I think it's because you wait so long imagining how good the game will be and when it's finaly released, it's harder than you thought or maybe theres something you can find that you read about, and you begin to dislike it.
Mon 07/05/01 at 17:46
I have to say that i thought Zone of the Enders (PS2) and (to a very small degree) Black & White (PC) are games that i bought on reviews and everybody going apepoo about only to be sadly disappointed.
Z.O.E. only took me about 5 hours to complete and i just couldn't be bothered to play throw the same game over again just to get the different ending. It was a good game though. Nice graphics, great sounds and a really good control system but it just didn't reach out and slap me in the face. I think the biggest let down was how short it was. I mean £40 for about 5 and a half hours of game play!
I think the only thing that is really annoying me about Black & White is the fact that it keeps on crashing at regular intervals. Apart from that i think it's a good game, nothing more.
(i know i'm going to get some people moaning at me for what i've just said above!)

Darkreaper
Mon 07/05/01 at 19:30
Regular
Perfect Dark. Nearly 3 years of hype and it was impossible to create the perfect games everyone had formed in their imaginations. Rare nearly did it, but not quite.

PS2 gets most overhyped console but that's a different story...
Mon 07/05/01 at 19:33
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
TTT.
Mon 07/05/01 at 21:52
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Daikatana

(at least I didnt pay for it! :) )
Mon 07/05/01 at 21:53
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Any/All of the Elite sequels so far...

(Unfortunatly I did pay for them! :( )

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.