GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Overclocking PC's?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 07/05/01 at 12:04
Regular
We have all tried over-clocking our pc's right? Well up until the point when we see smoke coming out the back of our PC's at least.

It is an extremely effective way, at least in the short-term, to improve pc power and make even a dated computer seem half-decent.

I used to over-clock my p2- 266mhz at 400Mhz, I added about 2-3 more fans, removed the pc case, made sure the room I was in was cool and decreased the processor voltage. My computer, as you could imagine, was pretty unstable but at the time it was a "beast".

In most magazines you now see computers with fish tanks, fridges/freezers, etc running through/part of the computer to keep the whole thing cool. However this isn't practical or very cost-effective for the average joe is it?

So what I would like to know is if any of you have successfully been using an over-clocked pc (it could just be an over-clocked processor, graphics card, etc) without any glitches (by that I mean explosions!) could you please include details of how you managed it. Thank-you :oD

Mon 07/05/01 at 12:04
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
We have all tried over-clocking our pc's right? Well up until the point when we see smoke coming out the back of our PC's at least.

It is an extremely effective way, at least in the short-term, to improve pc power and make even a dated computer seem half-decent.

I used to over-clock my p2- 266mhz at 400Mhz, I added about 2-3 more fans, removed the pc case, made sure the room I was in was cool and decreased the processor voltage. My computer, as you could imagine, was pretty unstable but at the time it was a "beast".

In most magazines you now see computers with fish tanks, fridges/freezers, etc running through/part of the computer to keep the whole thing cool. However this isn't practical or very cost-effective for the average joe is it?

So what I would like to know is if any of you have successfully been using an over-clocked pc (it could just be an over-clocked processor, graphics card, etc) without any glitches (by that I mean explosions!) could you please include details of how you managed it. Thank-you :oD

Mon 07/05/01 at 12:06
Regular
I;ve never overclocked anything, but i've heard that this is a good website to go to:

www.tomshardware.com

Give it ago, they maybe something on there that can help you.
Mon 07/05/01 at 12:11
Regular
"Same 'ole Tagline"
cheers m8
Mon 07/05/01 at 12:12
Regular
No worries mate.
Mon 07/05/01 at 12:17
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
I run a Duron 800@1ghz, and it's as stable as it was before overclocking. The moherboard is an Abit KT7 Socket A mobo (200mhz FSB) with a GlobalWin FOP32-1 cooler, attached to the processor with some Arctic Silver. I get all my parts from...a place I wont advertise, e-mail me if you want to know anything about it ([email protected])
Mon 07/05/01 at 14:52
I had a bx6-II running a p2 450

when I 1st got this motherboard, I forgot to reset the bios and I believe it was running @ 116 fsb which was 1/2 in terms of pci share, so that meant v2 blew up =) (got a v3 for free of the git who sold me mobo/cpu in 1st place:))

But ive had this mobo and brought a Celeron II 600 and overclocked it to 900 with ease

It is so easy, i use a Thermoengine with a delta fan (same one ont he Fop38) and Artic Silver II and my temperatures are 34 degrees full load with the case on on a hot summers day =)

Mon 07/05/01 at 14:58
Regular
I don't think we've all done it !
Mon 07/05/01 at 16:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, for a start this is ill-advised, but here is the scientific POV.

Try brandy, or some othe alcohol-based solvent. Because of the low boiling point of ethanol, the brandy evaporates and takes the excess heat with it.

Just don't come crying to me if it all breaks down
Mon 07/05/01 at 16:23
Regular
"Excommunicated"
My CD-ROM is ars... broken, after 1 year and 2 months just outside warrantly which is annoying!
Mon 07/05/01 at 16:24
Regular
"smile, it's free"
turbonutter wrote:
> Well, for a start this is ill-advised, but here is the scientific
> POV.

Try brandy, or some othe alcohol-based solvent. Because of
> the low boiling point of ethanol, the brandy evaporates and takes
> the excess heat with it.

Just don't come crying to me if it all
> breaks down

Isn't that a terrible waste of Brandy?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.