GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Videogame violence"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/05/01 at 20:39
Regular
Does anyone actually know of anyone killing or hurting someone after being influenced by a computer game. This is a very sensitive topic and I want to see what everyone thinks. Ban games? or not?
Sun 06/05/01 at 20:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Does anyone actually know of anyone killing or hurting someone after being influenced by a computer game. This is a very sensitive topic and I want to see what everyone thinks. Ban games? or not?
Mon 07/05/01 at 01:31
I've heard of people recreating violent scenes from a movie (Child's Play for example) but i've never heard of somebody recreating a violent scene from a video game.
They shouldn't be banned.

Darkreaper
Mon 07/05/01 at 09:28
I don't think so. I'm doing a project on this for GCSE so thanks for bringing it up!

And why are games more popular for boys than girls? Are they? (another question for my GCSE report!)
Mon 07/05/01 at 09:43
Regular
Games are probably more popular with boys than girls simply because they recreate stuff that boys enjoy more.

I know loads of people that think they are boy racers, and all of them are male, also it is mainly males who get pleasure from blowing someone up in UT or whatever.

I'm not being sexist here, i know that girls do play games, its just that games seem to be aimed at boys rather than girls.

Going on to the violence thing, i've noticed that most fo these game related shootings happen in the States. Why? Well hes a piece of information that me clear that up:

One supermarket chain, i think it was Walmart but im not sure, stopped selling violent computer games to protect their family image. Fine. Great. Lovely, well doen etc, except that they still sell guns to anyone over the age of 16 (i think). Now how stupid is that!??!?

Its it really surprising that people get shot in a culture that practically invites violence by allowing all citizens to carry a gun?

If computer games do corrupt children, then how come we haven't had any shootings here? Or in Japan? Simpe, kids over here, and in Japan, don't have access to guns. Its as simple as that.

I really can't see the point of anyone who tells me Americans arent stupid, with the guns laws they've got, and the fact that they blame computer games for the violence in their society, they must be.

Having said all that, surely some blame must be layed onto the parents. Understandably they don't want to appear to have been a bad parent, so they blame the games companies. However, wouldn't they be a little surprised if little Billy-Joe come home with an automatic pistol?

All in all, i think the only way for attitudes to change abou computer games will be for the shootings to stop. To do this America needs to change the laws, and its population needs to get some common sense.
Mon 07/05/01 at 09:44
Thanks YH. Can I include your name & statement in my report?
Mon 07/05/01 at 09:50
Regular
Yeah if you want, i hope it helped, i just kind of wrote it off the top of my head.

Are you really going to put Your Honour in your report?! That'll look a bit strange!

:-)
Mon 07/05/01 at 10:05
Why not? I'll just say that it was someon'es screename.
Mon 07/05/01 at 10:06
Regular
Ok then. Yeah you can use it by all means, help yourself.
Mon 07/05/01 at 10:43
Unless you want to be recognised as someone else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.