GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Transporting PC to Uni"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/10/04 at 09:46
Regular
"NULL"
I have a query for anyone who might be able to help - as opposed to anyone who can't help, cos that'd be pretty pointless.

I'm taking my PC to Uni next weekend. I'm planning on sticking the whole case in the original box it came in with all the packaging to keep it safe, then stick it in the car. So it should all be fine. However, do I need to remove the CPU Heatsink/Fan? It's the Zalman AlCu flower heatsink, and it is exceeds AMDs guidelines for the weight. So do I have to remove it?

Also, if I do remove it, do I have to re-apply thermal paste when I put it back on again. I don't have any thermal paste so I would have to get some.
Mon 04/10/04 at 00:14
"I love yo... lamp."
If you take a heatsink off, you should reapply thermal paste. Remember the point of it is to fill in microscopic valleys on the heatsink bottom, it won't be doing that if you rip it off then fit it again.

I'm pretty sure the SLK 900 is heavier than recommended as well, but never had any issues with it when lugging my PC around. Although bolt on heatsinks are infinitely more secure.
Sun 03/10/04 at 13:01
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Ah good point Nimco, I was wondering what to do about that myself.
Sun 03/10/04 at 12:57
If you're moving with someone else in the car, you just sit the PC next to them in the back while you drive.
Sun 03/10/04 at 10:15
Regular
"NULL"
Think I'll just keep it on its side. Cheers
Sun 03/10/04 at 10:09
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
I always transported mine fine without any bother. I just made sure the case was on it's side, so the heatsink is sitting on top of the CPU (the motherboard side of the case is flat on the floor), rather than the other way where it would be pulling away from it, and had no bother at all.

If you do want to play it safe and remove it you will need to remove and re-apply some thermal paste.
Sun 03/10/04 at 09:46
Regular
"NULL"
I have a query for anyone who might be able to help - as opposed to anyone who can't help, cos that'd be pretty pointless.

I'm taking my PC to Uni next weekend. I'm planning on sticking the whole case in the original box it came in with all the packaging to keep it safe, then stick it in the car. So it should all be fine. However, do I need to remove the CPU Heatsink/Fan? It's the Zalman AlCu flower heatsink, and it is exceeds AMDs guidelines for the weight. So do I have to remove it?

Also, if I do remove it, do I have to re-apply thermal paste when I put it back on again. I don't have any thermal paste so I would have to get some.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.