GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Empire Strikes Back.... No? Yes!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/09/04 at 14:12
Regular
Okay, moving on from yesterday's topic about Return of the Jedi, there is a similar problem that comes up in Episode V.

When the Emperor commands Lord Vader to give him a bell, the actor has now changed to the Emperor from Episodes I, II, VI and probably III, Ian McDiarmid (not 100% sure I've got the spelling right here, but its not important right now).

The first actor who played the Emperor has been removed, and although I was shocked and annoyed at first, I actually think this is a good idea. Its not just tying things up with the prequels, but with Episode VI, and that I can happily forgive. What I *was* annoyed about though was the extra line they've added for this new Emperor actor.

Basically, the conversation is largely unchanged, only the actor's face is different, and that's fine, but one line, clearly added by George Lucas, goes something like this:

"Hello audience. Just to check, you're really, really stupid yes? Good. Now, you know Anakin, A, N, A, K, I, N, from the original movies? You know he's got the same surname (last name) as Luke? Well, you'll never guess what. They might be related! Luke is the offspring (kiddo) of Anakin! Bet you weren't expecting that! What's that you say? You might have guessed? Well, Vader didn't, look... Vader, do you believe me?"

"Erm, well sir, I'm not actually sure, this uniform actually constricts the blood flow to my brain, so I'm not really thinking straight..."

"Search your feelings Lord Vader, you know it to be true. Come on audience, how about a little participation. How about we all tell Lord Vader who Luke is... On the count of three?"

Anyway, I think I may have exaggerated that a little, and brought it a bit past one line, but you get the picture.

However...

I've watched that bit about four times now, just to get used to it, and make sure I wasn't just reacting badly to change in a sort of "That's not how my biscuit is normally arranged next to my tea" kind of way, and I've actually got used to it. The line isn't necessary, but its over fairly quickly, and if it helps out those people who've only watched the prequels, then I guess its fair enough.

The movie, as my profile says, is still my favourite of all time, and since it only lasts for a few seconds, and doesn't do any real harm, I can honestly say that I think this particular change actually helps the movie.

Don't get me started on Boba Fett's accent though... just because he's a clone of Jango now doesn't mean he has to have the same completely unthreatening accent. I mean no offence to the New Zealand accent, its fine, but it just doesn't have the menace that the original Fett accent used to have. Who says Fett didn't spend 20 years in a population where the accent rubbed off on him. It seemed unnecessary to change his accent this way, but again, as above, it doesn't really harm things too seriously. Okay, so I did get started on it, but anyway...

Great movie, unexpected changes, but they will seem okay given time. I hope.
Sat 25/09/04 at 17:50
Regular
"Braaains"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> It's the new ending that really gets me though...

Exactly. Now it'll be impossible to think of Vader as anyone else but an angsty teenager in a dodgy costume.
Wed 22/09/04 at 19:40
Regular
You're rubbish.

Han and the Princess build each other up with some fantastic lines and chemistry throughout the whole film, to which point that there's obviously something between them (then is completely forgot about in Jedi but never mind)

And then when Leia finally admits to Han 'I love you' just as he's about to be frozen in carbonite and quite possibly killed, he responds 'I know.'

Stick that up your asses and sanchez yourselves, British rom-coms.
Wed 22/09/04 at 19:07
Regular
He does.....I think....
Wed 22/09/04 at 19:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Mav wrote:
> Did that not happen before..?

Im sure he said "I know".
Wed 22/09/04 at 19:04
Regular
Did that not happen before..?
Wed 22/09/04 at 18:49
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> It's the new ending that really gets me though...
> [URL]http://members.cox.net/vorlon/hanline.jpg[/URL]

:O

Oh no! Han looks like a wuss!
Wed 22/09/04 at 18:30
Regular
It's the new ending that really gets me though... [URL]http://members.cox.net/vorlon/hanline.jpg[/URL]
Wed 22/09/04 at 17:16
Regular
thebestbit wrote:
> um anakin is never in the original movies[apart from the end of
> return of the jedi] hes in the new versions.

How very well spotted. Unimportant, but the point was that if you hadn't seen Star Wars before, and had only started by watching Episodes I and II, you were kept up to speed by the conversation in Episode V. Saying the "original movies" was an unfortunate slip as I meant to say prequels. How very silly of me, and how very well pointed out.
Wed 22/09/04 at 12:27
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Goatboy wrote:

> Mate brought the extra-features DVD over and we watched the docs etc
> on that, no need to splash out on Lucas's altered and screwed with
> updates.

It was tres amusing to hear David Prowse say

"once eye woz but the lurnur now eye am the masster", in the pre-dubbed clip I saw.
Wed 22/09/04 at 12:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So Boba is a clone, I was mistaken.
Shows just how much interest I had in that movie then. I just sat there thinking "Go on Jake The Muss, smash Renton in the face with a chair for touching your daughter".

Mate brought the extra-features DVD over and we watched the docs etc on that, no need to splash out on Lucas's altered and screwed with updates.
It's just a personal thing, I'm not paying for tinkered classics, be it Sulky Bitchwinge at the end of Jedi or Bogie doing the Lambada when the plane leaves.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.