GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"9600XT"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/09/04 at 18:25
"Majestic"
I've said "I might be building a PC" for ages now - but I’ve never had the power to keep my word. I think I’ve got just about enough cash to buy a PC. I had some good specs in my shopping cart including a nice 9800 pro - which everybody on these forums seem to love.

Suddenly it dawned on me that I needed windows XP - which is 60 smackers added onto to the total value. So I needed to make a cutback. I didn’t want to cut back the processor (3000+ AMD 64) nor could I cut back the motherboard, because its the cheapest one for the features it provides (gigabyte, with all the frills - cheap too)

Theresa no point cutting the 120gb to an 80gb, because that will only save me a measly fiver anyway. And ram - well, there no way you can get cheaper than value ram! (512 DDR 400 Corsair value)

So the obvious choice is the graphics card - which pains me, because i want 8 pipes... So I can get a 9600XT for 100 pound, which just about pays for XP - but are 9600XT's any good? It’s a High-tech (HiS) 256mb 9600XT. It will run Doom 3 on medium surely? And Everquest 2 quite well as well? Maybe even The Sims 2 on high settings?

Only thing that worries me is the Nvida Logo - its the way its meant to be played. Does this mean Nvida pay the people who display this log to chuck some Radeon Bugs in the game for the sake of it? I bet it does!

So, 9600XT or FX 5700, both 256mb, both same price.

Unless I just go for Linux....

[S] And no, I can't stretch another 30 - 50 pound...
Mon 20/09/04 at 17:32
"Majestic"
I just need a couple more ten pound notes to get a 9800 pro - and I’ll be alright. I've already sold some junk to my cousin - so not long now. I'm selling Silent Hill 4 (special promo edition [URL]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11321&item=8132525887&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW[/URL] for a recent Ebay sale - this is not mine, but it gives you the general idea, I don't have a t-shirt though!) It’s for the PS2, and I’m selling it for 20 pound, plus I’ll chuck in 1st class p&p because I’m desperate! If anybody’s interested drop your MSN addy here.
Mon 20/09/04 at 12:55
Regular
"Freeola Support"
I have a 9600XT, I don't think there is nothing wrong with it but a 9800 Pro is still more powerful (and a bargin if you ask me)
Mon 20/09/04 at 06:54
Regular
"Bicycle"
I lub my 9600XT.

Bought it in the Spring. Runs everything so nicely, even with my measly 2.4Ghz P4....

Phwar.
Mon 20/09/04 at 00:10
"I love yo... lamp."
Get the A64 2800 instead to save a bit of cash. Then overclock it to 3400 speeds.

It's a good card, but a bit old now. Stretch to the 9800 Pro, you really won't regret it.

Sell stuff if you need to, or buy second hand.
Sat 18/09/04 at 19:23
"Majestic"
Doh !
Sat 18/09/04 at 19:17
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Just stretch to an extra £50.
Sat 18/09/04 at 19:12
Regular
Buy the OS off eBay.
Or borrow a friends CD.
Sat 18/09/04 at 18:25
"Majestic"
I've said "I might be building a PC" for ages now - but I’ve never had the power to keep my word. I think I’ve got just about enough cash to buy a PC. I had some good specs in my shopping cart including a nice 9800 pro - which everybody on these forums seem to love.

Suddenly it dawned on me that I needed windows XP - which is 60 smackers added onto to the total value. So I needed to make a cutback. I didn’t want to cut back the processor (3000+ AMD 64) nor could I cut back the motherboard, because its the cheapest one for the features it provides (gigabyte, with all the frills - cheap too)

Theresa no point cutting the 120gb to an 80gb, because that will only save me a measly fiver anyway. And ram - well, there no way you can get cheaper than value ram! (512 DDR 400 Corsair value)

So the obvious choice is the graphics card - which pains me, because i want 8 pipes... So I can get a 9600XT for 100 pound, which just about pays for XP - but are 9600XT's any good? It’s a High-tech (HiS) 256mb 9600XT. It will run Doom 3 on medium surely? And Everquest 2 quite well as well? Maybe even The Sims 2 on high settings?

Only thing that worries me is the Nvida Logo - its the way its meant to be played. Does this mean Nvida pay the people who display this log to chuck some Radeon Bugs in the game for the sake of it? I bet it does!

So, 9600XT or FX 5700, both 256mb, both same price.

Unless I just go for Linux....

[S] And no, I can't stretch another 30 - 50 pound...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.