GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Uni"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/09/04 at 10:53
Regular
"NULL"
Tig - I just got info thru on my accommodation for York. Goodricke Block A. If I remember correctly, Goodricke was the college that all the student guides were telling us was the one you really didn't want to be in.

According to the handbook, Goodricke doesn't have Network, but I phoned York and they've added it in over the summer - lucky escape! And it's a Standard room not ensuite. On the plus side, it's a lot cheaper!
Sun 26/09/04 at 20:35
Regular
"NULL"
1 of my mates and one of my "mates" are in Halifax...
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:24
"I love yo... lamp."
University of Texas barred students from using wireless networks on campus - until they realised that the ban was illegal. Not sure if we have anything like those FCC regulations, but I'm sure we do. In saying that, starting out first year as a trouble maker isn't going to help any appeals.
Sat 25/09/04 at 16:15
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Heh heh its Halifax, looks all new and slick as well, network sockets ARE in every room as well. Seems like quite a detached college though.
Sat 25/09/04 at 15:15
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Nimco, This was previously a York related (vaguely IT) post but its irrelevant now :D

See above.
Sat 18/09/04 at 22:54
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
It's always worth asking, but the chances are they'll simply say no - setting one rule for one group of people, and another rule for others causes more headaches than it's worth usually.

It's probably worth seeing what is in place when you get there - it might be possible to come up with something that won't be a problem.
Sat 18/09/04 at 16:40
Regular
"NULL"
Do you think the Uni would be supportive of a small scale wireless network, locked down securely?
Sat 18/09/04 at 16:20
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
I work for a University, so can probably answer some of your questions (in general anyway). There are a wide range of reasons why network related fun isn't allowed at many Universitys.

You can't run your own wireless networks because they can interfere with the main campus wireless network - many places now implement them, or are planning to. Rogue access points can cause service degredation and security holes.

Bandwidth in residences will be restricted to limit how much people can download - not nesecarrily per-user download limits, but a general restriction on bandwidth. Residences use more bandwidth than anywhere else (computer labs etc.) as students are on until all hours of the morning. Using bandwidth intensive things like gaming will put an unfair drain on resources for people doing useful things - at the end of the day it is an academic network.

If your small network is connected to the main network in some way it is a massive security risk. University internet access comes from someone like JANET and can only be used for academic and research purposes, so it's vital it cannot be accessed by anyone not at the University (terms of service for the University).

Small home-networks will most likely have security holes, which could let the network be compromised. If this happens your University can (and most likely will) lose it's Internet access, atleast temporarily. We for example, only allow remote access via a VPN client, or restricted dial-up to provide additional security.

Phone systems in residences can be a pain, as the call costs are always high, but it's the only way the systems can be funded. Generally though your University will provide some sort of network access for free, either with a data point, or some sort of local 'dial up' service which would be free. It would be massivly impractical, expensive and unmanagable to allow people to get standard BT lines into every room.
Sat 18/09/04 at 13:46
Regular
"NULL"
I imagine they see it as a security threat. It may be that a few people who know what we're doing could ask them - we could secure it evry well to prevent unauthorised MAC addresses from accessing it.
Fri 17/09/04 at 17:27
Regular
Nimco wrote:
> tigamilla wrote:
> We'll have to organise some LAN sessions. We should talk to the
> computer admin guys to see if they'll allow downloading/gaming or
> other bandwidth hogging activities after a certain time when the
> network has excess capacity.
>
> According to the handbook, computer games or similar "bandwidth
> intensive" things are strictly prohibited. And also
> "personal computer networks between study-bedrooms" aren't
> allowed either - so no wireless network then - unless we can hide it
> ;) Not quite sure why they don't allow those though.

Whats their problem with small wireless networks?

> FreeolaAdministrator wrote:
> If you've not managed to get uni accom with a network does this mean
> that you'll be stuck with dial-up?
>
> It may be worth checking out if these are BT lines (some uni's do)
> and then check out Freeola's offers for ADSL! Think that you would
> be
> very interested by the number of services offered, the standards and
> benefitting from Freeola's massive range of free & unlimited
> facilities & services.
>
> I don't have a phone in my room, but for those who do, they can
> access dial-up via a phonecard system called Dog'n'Bone - something
> about them being the best ISP to use because they're who you have to
> get phonecards from and charge more per minute for most 0845 numbers
> than for their own ISP. Something like that anyway.

Phone card systems like this are so annoying for those of us who want to use cheapish internet services. Normally their coupled services cost ridiculous amounts to keep running.
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:53
+ve

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.