GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shame on you PC Systems"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 04/05/01 at 20:48
Regular
It's the ever changing law.. PCs grow out of date within at least a month. It's upsetting I know but whats the point.

This is the law that says "Thee who buys a PC will always regret for the system you buy is guaranteed to be cheaper or/and out of date within a few months" Ok. It's not a law yet but it should be. I'd like to call it Rakuga's Law.

I can almost guarantee that your buying of a PC will be pleasurable at first sight but terrible at second. Why? The ever changing market of PCs is more rapid then that of consoles. With consoles at least you only need to wait a year to have to update at least. With PCs its more like every month IF you want to have the latest computer - and this costs money. Why do we need to upgrade so much? So we can play the latest computer games that strive on advances in computer technology. New 3dfx cards, new processors are being churned out one my one guaranteeing that a PC buyer will be disappointed soon.

I bought a Pentium 1 233mhz back 2 years ago. It cost me ONE THOUSAND pounds. It was the newest thing. Look at it now. It would sell for peanuts - 100 pounds at least. That's 1/10 of it's original cost. It's out of date now, and lets face it crap - most games on it will be unplayable. My latest computer (700mhz P3) cost me £433 (no monitor) and I bought it about a month and a half ago. Now I have already bought more RAM and am in the process of getting a 3dfx card which I now realise I desperately need JUST to play some PC games I have only dreamed about. My 56k modems crap and like many others in online computer games I find myself at a disadvantage to the luckier people around the world who keep up to date and can afford the likes of ADSL, ISDN or cable. The key to having a computer is limiting updates. If you can get a really good computer then you might if lucky be able to hold on to it for a year maybe 2 without losing out on playing top games.

The world of computers is unfair lets face it. If you can't afford to update your computer as often as you wish you could I offer you then answers of Rakuga's Law.

1) Never go for the latest computer. It will only be out of date within a few weeks. Go for a smaller processor so you can afford to update. At the moment I'd say get 600-800mhz processor.

2) Buy a console. They are cheaper to afford then a PC

3) Save at all times. A quid a day if possible. Just save don't spend this money. THis money can then be used for new computer parts.

4) Don't rush into buying a computer. Look through the market. If you have a budget of 700 quid your best option is a Maxx PC - quite a lot of stuff for a good price.

5) Don't get unnecessary parts just for the sake of it. IF you won't use all 40gb hard disk space don't get it. If you don't have a high speed internet connection or anything worth copying don't get a CD writer.

The key to buying a computer is expect to be disappointed within time and watch your spending.
Thank you for reading.
Sat 05/05/01 at 00:31
I prefere forums on ocuk/ocs since they are real peoples experiences

The only cases Ive heard of cpus burning are:

* People NOT puting a HSF on
* People trying to run at a different speed when the cpu isnt unlocked *duron*
* People who believe that water is a great substitute for electricty!

Sat 05/05/01 at 00:25
Regular
For info on over clocking, and a lot of hardware stuff, just go to www.tomshardware.com

There's loads of stuff on there.....
Sat 05/05/01 at 00:21
Your Honour wrote:
> I'm doing a degree in electronic engineering.

Im not saying
> overclocking is bad, im just saying that every processor (even if
> it's by the same manufacturer, rated at the same speed) cannot
> always be over clocked the same.

Therefore much care must be
> taken when overclocking.

Yes agreed, every chip is unique, just like every other chip.

But this is why there are serial codes on many AMD / Intel CPUs

so you can COMPARE with others already the week number, code number etc and see how far they've managed to overclock it, and you go up in stages

My general rule for Durons is that they usually overclock 250mhz more than originally with ease, anyone with no experience of overclocking can easily add a pencil

Celeron IIs can easily be changed by changing the FSB of the cpu to 100 over 66.

True every cpu gets different results, but most of the time the week number of the cpu will usually give the same results as other cpus of that week number.

There is a massive database full of all this stuff which anyone can see!
Sat 05/05/01 at 00:18
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
36Degrees wrote:

No
> overclocking doesnt really decrease reliability,

Yes... it does... it also grossly reduces the shelf life of the chip...

Clearly they are tricking you in the 1st place,
> if It can run at 1.05ghz (which most Duron 800s can) then it should
> be ran at that speed.

Ive worked both at Intel and IBM... although chips are provided at a much lower speed than they are capible of... the variability in chip production means that not all chips reach the same maximum performance levels...

Manufacturers do give a very generous level slowdown to clock speed to assure safe running of the chip...

However if you work the chip intensivly even the reccomended levels cant stop the resulting in a chip burin out...

Overclocking is relativly safe if done to a small amounts but if you push the system too hard you will have reprocussions...

Sat 05/05/01 at 00:16
Regular
I'm doing a degree in electronic engineering.

Im not saying overclocking is bad, im just saying that every processor (even if it's by the same manufacturer, rated at the same speed) cannot always be over clocked the same.

Therefore much care must be taken when overclocking.
Sat 05/05/01 at 00:13
Its funny how you can decrease the CPUs temperature just by running the thing for a couple of days at .1v higher than what its supposed to run at...

simple electronics would tell you why.
Sat 05/05/01 at 00:11
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> I know there are possibilities offered by overclocking...

my view
> is that, generally, the reduced reliability is not worth the modest
> increase in performance...

And generally it is pretty
> modest...

No overclocking doesnt really decrease reliability, its only if you are stupid and dont take adequet preciousions which you should take when installing a new pc!

So basically if I run my TBird 1ghz 10x100 and then at 7.5x133, its still running at 1ghz, ive just changed the bus so I get extra performence all round in my ram/gfx and no harm done there then.

Clearly they are tricking you in the 1st place, if It can run at 1.05ghz (which most Duron 800s can) then it should be ran at that speed.

Sat 05/05/01 at 00:11
Regular
Errr, if you know anything about how a CPU is made you'll know that every one is different.

A CPU is made up of anything up to 50 million transistors.

Transistors are made up of NPN material junctions, in the order of 10 microns thick (10 millionths of a meter).

Due to the extreme thinness of the material, even a slight percentage change in thickness has a profound effect on the conductivity of the transistor.

This, in turn, affects the performance of the CPU and changes it's ability to be over clocked.
Sat 05/05/01 at 00:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I know there are possibilities offered by overclocking...

my view is that, generally, the reduced reliability is not worth the modest increase in performance...

And generally it is pretty modest...
Sat 05/05/01 at 00:06
Errr if you know what you're doing overclocking is REALLY easy, and you should get adequet cooling

I spent £6 on a cheap hsf for my cpu and it was absolutly rubbish even at default speed

Spend £15 on a decent one and my temp is very good and constant and ive got a 50% increase in speed

And the increase of speed helps me for games like Quake 3 which are very processor intensive

And if you DO know anything about overclocking you would know NEVER to up your FSB whereby a situation is created where your OLD PCI cards run at more than 35 mhz

Furthur more, you cant really damage a new cpu unless you dont apply the proper protection and you try something really stupid like making a 500mhz cpu into 2ghz with nothing.

An Athlon CPU takes 8 seconds to burn out without any heatsink/fan combination on.

Just overclock its the way to get those extra few mhz on it so therefore you can live with the old hardware, the Axia Y series has a good core so its so easy to overclock.

and I have a Celeron II 600 and Ive overclocked it to 900 and it plays all my games fine thank you very much!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.