GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So Dringo? What sort of handheld action turns you on?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/01/05 at 22:38
Regular
The DS is naff?
Now, Dringo saying something from Nintendo is "naff" is a rarity intself but, the DS?

There's one argument I can think of against handheld games.
That after playing home console standard, it's hard to step down, especially when the prices aren't quite the same step down.

But when you say "Roll on GBA2.", it sort of shows that handhelds aren't the issue...

So what's the problem with the DS?
I notice it has no analogue stick, but everyone keeps saying that the touch screen simulation more or less works as well, so you'd barely notice, including you.

Heck, you want the revolution controller to be a touchscreen!

So is it the DS?
What's wrong with it?
What doesn't it have that the GBA2 will?

Or maybe it's not the DS.
Maybe the games aren't really getting you excited.
The launch games do generally seem a bit basic, being either a remake or a short game, but that was the case with the Gamecube for AGES, and I never heard one complaint then?

So if it's the games bugging you, what's wrong with them, and what're you expecting on the GBA2 that's going to be so much better?

I think a certain someone has gotten into a certain mood and has decided to become Mr Contraversial! You're just winding people up, aren't you! ;-P
Mon 24/01/05 at 17:26
Regular
As I say, if the original Pikmin was Pikmin 2. We'd have got that all important classic.
Mon 24/01/05 at 15:34
Regular
I'd say that when Dringo compared Metroid to Mario 64, I think that he meant that Metroid is the only Gamecube game so far to come close to the "Wow" factor of those N64 classics, may they rest in piece! :-)

And WS is right in which case like Dringo said, Pikmin is closer (if there had only been more game to it, it could've been REALLY special).
Sun 23/01/05 at 20:07
Regular
Perhaps you're right.

Pikmin then comes the closest.

Then again I guess that's Miyamoto through and through.
Sun 23/01/05 at 19:49
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> I think Metroid Prime comes closest to it in this generation.

I disagree.

Mario 64 was simple, cheerful, massive, hard and utterly enjoyable. It was deep and yet one of the most pick up and play games ever.

It doesn't try to make you think, or bog you down in story, emotions etc. It's just a game, and does what a game does best.
Sun 23/01/05 at 19:40
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Metroid Prime is it for a new experience. Pikmin would have had it if
> only it was actually Pikmin 2.

Yeah, if we got Pikmin 2 from the off a Mario 64 would have been born right there.
Sun 23/01/05 at 16:56
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Metroid Prime is it for a new experience. Pikmin would have had it if only it was actually Pikmin 2.
Sun 23/01/05 at 16:55
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Mario 64 was ****ing amazing.
>
> An absolutely joyous game, the like of which hardly ever comes
> along.

I think Metroid Prime comes closest to it in this generation.

For pure genius of it all. I mean Sunshine, Wind Waker etc... are amazing... but hardly pure genius.
Sun 23/01/05 at 16:48
Regular
Mario 64 was ****ing amazing.

An absolutely joyous game, the like of which hardly ever comes along.
Sun 23/01/05 at 16:36
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> The first full 3D world?
>
> What was I playing on my RISC PC all those years?

Oh yeah because RISC did exactly the same thing.
Sat 22/01/05 at 19:14
Regular
"8==="
The first full 3D world?

What was I playing on my RISC PC all those years?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.