GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The DS has arrived. And I like it."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/01/05 at 08:52
Regular
"Two year break!"
At last - yesterday my DS arrived along with Mario 64 DS.

And those first impressions are MUCH better than I'd anticipated.

Firstly it's smaller and less chunky than I'd feared. Some of the pictures made the unit look very thick but it's actually not at all. About the same thickness of a GBA SP and about 60% wider.

It's very comfortable in my hands, something that the SP wasn't. The SP has always been a little small for me - especially when you need to use the shoulder buttons.

For me, using the stylus on the touchscreen is brilliant as I've already become accustomed to that on my mobile (SonyEricsson P910i). And the screen actually works very well indeed.

On the subject of screens - wow, the top one in particularly is extremely clear and a much higher resolution than every single picture I've seen. Some of the screenshots I've seen have looked a little, well, average. I can assure you that this is most definitely NOT the case.

A quick burst on Mario 64 (a game that I never had for the N64 - I know, shocking!!) and it's simply marvellous.

It looks superb (and is very promising for future games) and I find the analogue control on the touch screen (using the thumb strap) works very very well. Much better than I thought it ever would. In any case there are options to change it to suit your style.

Pictochat is a real touch of brilliance. I just wish that I could use it right now. The option to draw, type and even copy someone else's scribblings is genius use of the hardware.

So that leaves the sound. And my goodness, it's mindblowing. The simulated surround sound works like a treat in Mario - you'll think birds are chirping all around you, a very clever effect even if it's not 'real' surround sound. It's a huge step forward from the GBA.

So, the verdict is a BIG thumbs up. A much more pleasing console than it seems in terms of looks (based on the pictures out there) and very good to use too.
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:43
Regular
"Two year break!"
Yeah, really like the Metroid demo. Shame that you can only do the training missions though (single player). Need to find someone else with a DS now!
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:31
"period drama"
PLayed the Metroid demo yet?
Now there's some graphical niceies.
Thu 20/01/05 at 16:29
Regular
After reading Ashmans review and now yours, I'm pretty certain that I will be getting a DS in the forseeable future.
Thu 20/01/05 at 15:55
Regular
"thursdayton!"
ßulle†† wrote:
> The first thing that grabbed me was the Virtual Surround - I thought
> "hang on, did that just come from the DS?!" :D

Definately.. the first time I switched Mario 64 on and the Star flies around the screen with appropriately whooshy sound effects.. Woah.. :D
Thu 20/01/05 at 09:27
Regular
"Two year break!"
Cheers.

I've never needed a screen protector for my mobile but I'll bear it in mind as they're not expensive.

Thankfully the US/Jap games come in sensible boxes (at last!!!) although I believe that Europe releases could be getting cardboard (very very bad decision if it ends up being the case).

What happened to the days when the original Gameboy games had individual plastic cases? They were ideal.

I've taken to the thumbstrap immediately and that will certainly put less stress on the screen than the stylus (in my opinion). A lot of thought has gone into the design though, that's for sure.

The sound is really impressive though. The speaker is a little quiet I feel but the simulated surround sound is a real eye-opener.
Thu 20/01/05 at 09:11
Regular
Glad you like it.

The first thing that grabbed me was the Virtual Surround - I thought "hang on, did that just come from the DS?!" :D

Mario, even though it is a tried-and-tested game remade, is a very good title for DS. Makes excellent use of the touch screen is so much more than the N64 original. I still can't use the thumb strap on it though! I'm pretty nifty with the ol' stylus anyway!

1 tip - invest in some screen protectors from videogamesplus.ca - games like Feel The Magic and Wario Ware will definitely put the lower screen through it's paces! You might want to get some game-card holders/cases too, as the contacts on the cards are exposed just enough to be vulnerable.

EDIT - I guess that's 2 tips then :D
Thu 20/01/05 at 08:52
Regular
"Two year break!"
At last - yesterday my DS arrived along with Mario 64 DS.

And those first impressions are MUCH better than I'd anticipated.

Firstly it's smaller and less chunky than I'd feared. Some of the pictures made the unit look very thick but it's actually not at all. About the same thickness of a GBA SP and about 60% wider.

It's very comfortable in my hands, something that the SP wasn't. The SP has always been a little small for me - especially when you need to use the shoulder buttons.

For me, using the stylus on the touchscreen is brilliant as I've already become accustomed to that on my mobile (SonyEricsson P910i). And the screen actually works very well indeed.

On the subject of screens - wow, the top one in particularly is extremely clear and a much higher resolution than every single picture I've seen. Some of the screenshots I've seen have looked a little, well, average. I can assure you that this is most definitely NOT the case.

A quick burst on Mario 64 (a game that I never had for the N64 - I know, shocking!!) and it's simply marvellous.

It looks superb (and is very promising for future games) and I find the analogue control on the touch screen (using the thumb strap) works very very well. Much better than I thought it ever would. In any case there are options to change it to suit your style.

Pictochat is a real touch of brilliance. I just wish that I could use it right now. The option to draw, type and even copy someone else's scribblings is genius use of the hardware.

So that leaves the sound. And my goodness, it's mindblowing. The simulated surround sound works like a treat in Mario - you'll think birds are chirping all around you, a very clever effect even if it's not 'real' surround sound. It's a huge step forward from the GBA.

So, the verdict is a BIG thumbs up. A much more pleasing console than it seems in terms of looks (based on the pictures out there) and very good to use too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.