GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Internet Sharing.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/09/04 at 20:53
Regular
"cachoo"
Okee.. Veerrry new to this.

I would like to have it so my laptop connects to the Internet without having to wait a few hours for the other person to get off the damn computer..

So.. I've read a few tuts on what to do. Gone through a wizard on setting up the network connection. I know something is missing, because it's never as easy as you would like it to be!

Anyways. My laptop is connected to the cable modem through an Ethernet cable. Then the cable modem is connected to the main PC via USB. I do have a router but I feel there needs to be 2 Ethernet cables.. so won't bother with that for now.

Okee. There are these little icons of those 2 computers in the bar at the bottom. [URL] http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/dani47/comps.jpg [/URL]. The icons are on both the laptop and computer and are flashing. They also both say they're connected, though. The icons on the laptop have a speed of 100.0mbps and on the main PC, it's 10.0mbps. But there's no Internet connection on the laptop.

Confussed. Any help is much appreciated!
Thankee. :)
Thu 16/09/04 at 19:26
Regular
Maybe im wrong, but you cannot use a single modem for two computers? i have a Webstar Cable modem and i have a usb hole and a Ethernet hole. I thought you could only plug one in at a time? you cant use the modem with a usb plugged in and the ethernet...

i share my connection, my modem goes into my pc through ethernet. Then i have a usb wireless adaptor plugged into mine, and one into my brothers. i use that to share the internet.

just a thought..

bye
Tue 14/09/04 at 02:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Ms NY wrote:
> Anyways. My laptop is connected to the cable modem through an
> Ethernet cable. Then the cable modem is connected to the main PC via
> USB. I do have a router but I feel there needs to be 2 Ethernet
> cables.. so won't bother with that for now.

When you say you "have a router", do you mean you have a hardware router that you haven't set up yet or did you mean something else? Is it all sorted out now? :o
Tue 07/09/04 at 16:23
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Ms NY wrote:
> Thankyou, you're a star. Unfortunately, I hooked the cables up
> wrong..
> Apparentely! Turns out the ethernet cable needed to go into the
> actual motherboard rather than the cable modem. But there's no
> thingy-hole for the ethernet cable!
>
> In that case you will need a Network Interface Card that fits in the
> PCI slot.

Or a USB to ethernet adapter...
Tue 07/09/04 at 01:54
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ms NY wrote:
> Thankyou, you're a star. Unfortunately, I hooked the cables up wrong..
> Apparentely! Turns out the ethernet cable needed to go into the
> actual motherboard rather than the cable modem. But there's no
> thingy-hole for the ethernet cable!

In that case you will need a Network Interface Card that fits in the PCI slot.
Tue 07/09/04 at 00:33
Regular
"cachoo"
Thankyou, you're a star. Unfortunately, I hooked the cables up wrong.. Apparentely! Turns out the ethernet cable needed to go into the actual motherboard rather than the cable modem. But there's no thingy-hole for the ethernet cable! Rude.
Never mind, though. Thanks for the help - much appreciated! ;)
Sun 05/09/04 at 19:33
Regular
Connection Sharing:
[URL] http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ [/URL]

Windows Firewall:
[URL] http://mobileoffice.about.com/cs/5/ht/winxpfirewall.htm [/URL]

Hope that helps,
James
Sun 05/09/04 at 19:31
Regular
Ms NY wrote:
> Hm, okee. Will try that in a mo, just a little nervous disabling the
> firewall and everything! :s Thanks for the info!

Enable the windows firewall, its what i use.
Sun 05/09/04 at 18:35
Regular
"cachoo"
Hm, okee. Will try that in a mo, just a little nervous disabling the firewall and everything! :s Thanks for the info!
Sun 05/09/04 at 10:53
Regular
Ms NY wrote:
> I just 'pinged' from the laptop, for the first time! Marvelous..
> Anyhoo, it said a load of stuff about the destination being
> unreachable. Whether that's of any help or not!

Could be firewall, this happened to many loads of times when my network was fully functional.
Disabled the pieces of crap called Zonealarm and Norton Firewall and everything worked fine.
Sun 05/09/04 at 10:52
Regular
Ms NY wrote:
> Hm.. I don't have the Sharing & Security tab.. :)

Thats because the Tab is called 'Advanced'.

My bad.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.