GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Don't Whore Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team'.
Sat 18/11/06 at 17:38
Regular
On Sunday I took my little brother to the 10th anniversary celebration of the Pokémon franchise (has it really been that long?) in Milton Keynes. He downloaded umpteen Pokémon onto his game, played the new and improved trading card game, had a blast on the new DS titles (“Link” and “Mysterious Dungeon”) and even watched the latest cartoon. It was a great day for the lad and even I could not help but admire what I saw.

Indeed there are few things in the world that can be described as “bigger” than what created it. Bat out of Hell is bigger than Meat Loaf, the I-pod is bigger than Apple and Pokémon is bigger than Nintendo. At the event in Milton Keynes there were no cheap plugs for the Wii that is out in little under a month, there were no other Nintendo related franchises on show… even Nintendo themselves had been reduced to a footnote on the posters. Pokémon is not synonymous with Nintendo. When you mention it people instantly think of games or cards or cartoons… Nintendo rarely get mentioned. Indeed Pokémon is so huge that it continues to expand into new areas with new titles and new toys (the new Pokémon “Trading Figure Game” was one example that was on show at the event), it is like a company in itself. The franchise is almost separate from Nintendo to the extent where Nintendo have named their Pokémon department: “The Pokémon company”, as if it were in some way independent.

The same cannot be said about Mario of course. Mario and Nintendo are one in the same, you mention one and you’ll think of the other. Mario is the big, friendly, moustachioed face of one of the world’s leading game experts and will be for many years to come. Many gamers are tired at the way Nintendo almost overuse the plumber (already over 150 games feature the character) but it is important Nintendo do this. Mario IS Nintendo and his continual assault upon the retail world keep him (and therefore Nintendo as well) in the hearts and minds of the consumer. Indeed it is somewhat shocking that Mario will not be present at this year’s launch of the Wii.

Not that Mario's overuse matters. Nintendo fans know that the Miyamoto developed platformers are the only Mario titles worth our pennies, and there is a certain other franchise that is developed solely with the fans in mind.

Mario may have lured me to Nintendo, but it was Zelda that kept me here. Nintendo’s real gaming gem (you could say the same for Metroid) that lurks behind their Donkey Kongas and Mario Kart. Pokémon maybe its own company, Mario may be plugged into any game that would take him, but Zelda is never treated in such a way. Nintendo wouldn’t dare allow Link to appear in some cheap EA sports title… wouldn’t they?

Well no, they wouldn’t. But there is always a danger that Nintendo could start to do that. We’ll allow Link in Soul Calibur, we’ll admire his appearance in Soul Calibur…. But what of those dreadful Cdi games? What’s the point behind “Four Swords”?

And don’t even get me started on Tingle’s Freshly-Picked Rose-Colored Rupee Land (which is now, as it happens, about to receive its owns Wii-sequel).

Nintendo, my friends, if you want to experiment with new game ideas then by all means abuse Mario, Pokémon and Wario… it is what they are for. Just leave Zelda alone. These are our games, they are important to us and we would prefer it if they could stay that way. In many ways we are in love with the mystical adventure game that is The Legend of Zelda but we do not love the faceless w***e that is Mario. If you were to destroy Link’s reputation then you could be destroying your own with it.

After all, we all remember what happened to Kirby.

Dringo.
Sun 26/11/06 at 11:53
Regular
"8==="
"Woo"
Sun 26/11/06 at 09:35
Regular
Yes, that works much better.
Sun 26/11/06 at 00:45
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
>
> Zelda being the Nintendo fan's franchise is like saying the sky
> is blue, it is obvious but if the term "we" offends
> you so much then I'll change it.

"Wii"
Sat 25/11/06 at 16:37
Regular
I'm still here there's just not many people to speak to anymore, and I have to deal with Hedfix.

Zelda being the Nintendo fan's franchise is like saying the sky is blue, it is obvious but if the term "we" offends you so much then I'll change it.
Sat 25/11/06 at 14:30
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Heh calm down there ducky. My point is stick to giving your opinion instead of speaking for a whole group of people you haven't asked, oh wait sorry i forgot "Nintendo fans" boils down to "me and a few mates on some internet forum and some websites a bunch of fanboys came up with, the most reliable source of all" pffft. Putting "we" doesn't automatically make your opinion any more valid.

See you again for your next GAD attempt :-)
Sat 25/11/06 at 12:57
Regular
Kawada wrote:
> Ah so i trust you've spoken to every Nintendo fan and came to
> this conclusion? Or is it just yours and you're sticking it in
> the mouths of millions of people?
>
> I'm kind of leaning towards the latter.

I'm sorry I am clearly wrong. Zelda is a corporate monster and not the Nintendo fans game... there isn't a tonne of Zelda fan websites with Nintendo fans telling eachother what they hope to gain from each game in the franchise.

I'm not a Nintendo fan and therefore do not speak to other Nintendo fans and do not visit Zelda fan websites and haven't a clue what Nintendo gamers like.

Don't be such an idiot.
Thu 23/11/06 at 14:39
Regular
Agreed.
Thu 23/11/06 at 12:56
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Ah so i trust you've spoken to every Nintendo fan and came to this conclusion? Or is it just yours and you're sticking it in the mouths of millions of people?

I'm kind of leaning towards the latter.
Thu 23/11/06 at 10:38
Regular
We = Nintendo fans.

This whole article was spawned by a small article I read in Edge about Zelda being important to Nintendo fans as it is THEIR franchise. That and going to the Pokemon event.
Wed 22/11/06 at 15:24
"possibly impossible"
I certainly like Mario and I see the need for Nintendo to use him as their public mascot, which involves his being plastered on everything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.