GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are you helping software piracy?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/05/01 at 19:12
Regular
Whenever you watch a movie on TV, you often have a blank recordable tabe in the player with it on record. Some of you may not know this, but it is illegal! However too many people do it to stop it going on. If the police started raiding peoples houses in Britain, I doubt they'd find many without some program or movie taped.
However, if you started recording films to distribute to other people, you'd eventually get a knock on the door from a police officer who'd like to ask you a few questions about your recording.
And if you sold them, then chances are you'll have your machinery conviscated and have to pay heavy fines.

It's a bit stricter when it comes to computer software. Games used to be able to fit on a Floppy Disk and we're copied by lots of people onto others and given to their friends who then did the same and that continues. That's how Doom became the worlds best known game and is on more conputers in the world than any other game. However, this wasn't legal. Games companies tried to tackle this by giving out Shareware disks when you buy other games. These had a small part of the game, so you could still play it, but you'd have to pay for the rest of the game.
But games were still easily copied. And it wasn't just PC games! GAmes for other systems like the ZX Spectrum which ran on a tape system were just as easy to copy. And even they used the 5 inch floppydisks!

When software and hardware developers realised that data as well as music could be stored on compact disks, they used them to put games on. They were read only, and they cut down the problem. However, some games you could install straight onto your hard disk drive and then copy to floppy.

Another way to solve this problem was to only let the user install a part of the game, meaning that you'd still need the compact disk to play the games. This also helped the fight against Piracy.

However, the computer industry released CD-Rewritable drives. These were great for copying music CD's (Even though that is also illegal) but were actually designed to replace floppy disks instead so that you could store your text, sound and other homemade files. This backfired and this enabled software pirates to copy other CD's and even Playstation games!
Hardware experts even made it possible to connect games cartridges to computers which ment that games for Nintendo and Sega's systems could be copied to PC, and modified to work on PCs.

There are usually tell tale signs which are easily spotable when you're buying games and you think they may be illegal copies.

1. If any cartridge only games are on a CD, that is an illegal copy.

2. If games are being sold in the street and not in a proper shop, chances are that they are illegal copies.

3. If the readable part of the CD is shiny blue, green or any other colour that is different to the proper disks of that format then they are illegal copies.

4. If the design of the packaging looks fake, then chances are that it is an illegal copy.

However, especially on the last point, it's not always that easy to spot. Sometimes software pirates put a lot of effort into things and make them look just like the originals. If you ever have any doubts, definately phone the company who publsihed the game!

But it's not just certain people who are software pirates. It could be any of you who don't actually realise it!

If you haven't already guessed what this was coming to, then it's to late....

...I'm talking about ROMs and Emulators.

For those who don't know, an Emulator is a piece of hardware and/or software which enables you to play games for most formats on your PC's. Some are legal, in fact there is a website on the web where you can download a tapedrive designed to load ZX Spectrum games, but you've got to have the tapes to load them!
But there are emulators that are downloadable from websites which are illegal. These emulators can have different interfaces and run slightly different. And some people even charge for you to download them! However when you do download these, you are aiding software piracy.

Earlier on in this message, I mentioned hardware which enables some people to copy games from consoles onto the PC. That's what some people do and they convert them to be able to play them on these emulators. Now as you already know, copying games is illegal.

Now some people don't realise that when they download files off the internet, they are downloading a copy! The file still stays on the server, but is copied to your home computer. So that means, when you download Roms to your system, you are copying the games and therefore becoming software pirates!

A lot of you will disagree saying that the old NES and SNES and Megadrive games (as well as others) aren't sold anymore so it doesn't make any difference to the games companies, but you couldn't be more wrong! On the Gameboy advance there is already Mario Advance which is an improved version of Super Mario Bros 2. And there is Sonic Advance, which as far as I know is based on the Megadrive version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also on the Gameboy Color there is Super Mario Bros DX and Donkey Kong Country which are SNES classics. This means that when you download a ROM of the SNES, NES, Megadrive and other systems games, and copy those copies to give to your friends, you are actually disadvantaging yourselves! The developers put effort into making these games better for the new systems so those who didn't get chance to play them first time, have another chance on the new consoles. However their efforts are halfwaisted because once you've completed the Roms, why will you want to play the actual games? This means that prices start to rise to cover the costs, and this will continue to do so as software piracy continues.

So any of you who download Emulators and Roms onto their systems, make sure you realise you have just become a software pirate! You are breaking international laws and you should be prosecuted! In fact one person was in America and he was in his teenage years. He has been fined heavily and faces another sentance!

Please don't aid or become a software pirate! I'm asking this for all proffessional gamers sakes! It's even bad for the casual gamer who thinks he's paying more money just because the games on a cartridge, or because of chip shortages, or for other reasons.

STOP CRIME NOW!!!
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:12
Regular
Whenever you watch a movie on TV, you often have a blank recordable tabe in the player with it on record. Some of you may not know this, but it is illegal! However too many people do it to stop it going on. If the police started raiding peoples houses in Britain, I doubt they'd find many without some program or movie taped.
However, if you started recording films to distribute to other people, you'd eventually get a knock on the door from a police officer who'd like to ask you a few questions about your recording.
And if you sold them, then chances are you'll have your machinery conviscated and have to pay heavy fines.

It's a bit stricter when it comes to computer software. Games used to be able to fit on a Floppy Disk and we're copied by lots of people onto others and given to their friends who then did the same and that continues. That's how Doom became the worlds best known game and is on more conputers in the world than any other game. However, this wasn't legal. Games companies tried to tackle this by giving out Shareware disks when you buy other games. These had a small part of the game, so you could still play it, but you'd have to pay for the rest of the game.
But games were still easily copied. And it wasn't just PC games! GAmes for other systems like the ZX Spectrum which ran on a tape system were just as easy to copy. And even they used the 5 inch floppydisks!

When software and hardware developers realised that data as well as music could be stored on compact disks, they used them to put games on. They were read only, and they cut down the problem. However, some games you could install straight onto your hard disk drive and then copy to floppy.

Another way to solve this problem was to only let the user install a part of the game, meaning that you'd still need the compact disk to play the games. This also helped the fight against Piracy.

However, the computer industry released CD-Rewritable drives. These were great for copying music CD's (Even though that is also illegal) but were actually designed to replace floppy disks instead so that you could store your text, sound and other homemade files. This backfired and this enabled software pirates to copy other CD's and even Playstation games!
Hardware experts even made it possible to connect games cartridges to computers which ment that games for Nintendo and Sega's systems could be copied to PC, and modified to work on PCs.

There are usually tell tale signs which are easily spotable when you're buying games and you think they may be illegal copies.

1. If any cartridge only games are on a CD, that is an illegal copy.

2. If games are being sold in the street and not in a proper shop, chances are that they are illegal copies.

3. If the readable part of the CD is shiny blue, green or any other colour that is different to the proper disks of that format then they are illegal copies.

4. If the design of the packaging looks fake, then chances are that it is an illegal copy.

However, especially on the last point, it's not always that easy to spot. Sometimes software pirates put a lot of effort into things and make them look just like the originals. If you ever have any doubts, definately phone the company who publsihed the game!

But it's not just certain people who are software pirates. It could be any of you who don't actually realise it!

If you haven't already guessed what this was coming to, then it's to late....

...I'm talking about ROMs and Emulators.

For those who don't know, an Emulator is a piece of hardware and/or software which enables you to play games for most formats on your PC's. Some are legal, in fact there is a website on the web where you can download a tapedrive designed to load ZX Spectrum games, but you've got to have the tapes to load them!
But there are emulators that are downloadable from websites which are illegal. These emulators can have different interfaces and run slightly different. And some people even charge for you to download them! However when you do download these, you are aiding software piracy.

Earlier on in this message, I mentioned hardware which enables some people to copy games from consoles onto the PC. That's what some people do and they convert them to be able to play them on these emulators. Now as you already know, copying games is illegal.

Now some people don't realise that when they download files off the internet, they are downloading a copy! The file still stays on the server, but is copied to your home computer. So that means, when you download Roms to your system, you are copying the games and therefore becoming software pirates!

A lot of you will disagree saying that the old NES and SNES and Megadrive games (as well as others) aren't sold anymore so it doesn't make any difference to the games companies, but you couldn't be more wrong! On the Gameboy advance there is already Mario Advance which is an improved version of Super Mario Bros 2. And there is Sonic Advance, which as far as I know is based on the Megadrive version of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also on the Gameboy Color there is Super Mario Bros DX and Donkey Kong Country which are SNES classics. This means that when you download a ROM of the SNES, NES, Megadrive and other systems games, and copy those copies to give to your friends, you are actually disadvantaging yourselves! The developers put effort into making these games better for the new systems so those who didn't get chance to play them first time, have another chance on the new consoles. However their efforts are halfwaisted because once you've completed the Roms, why will you want to play the actual games? This means that prices start to rise to cover the costs, and this will continue to do so as software piracy continues.

So any of you who download Emulators and Roms onto their systems, make sure you realise you have just become a software pirate! You are breaking international laws and you should be prosecuted! In fact one person was in America and he was in his teenage years. He has been fined heavily and faces another sentance!

Please don't aid or become a software pirate! I'm asking this for all proffessional gamers sakes! It's even bad for the casual gamer who thinks he's paying more money just because the games on a cartridge, or because of chip shortages, or for other reasons.

STOP CRIME NOW!!!
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
umm, Edgy, I didn't read all of this! sorry....

**er-no runs to hide all his 'kit'** :P
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:15
Regular
"everyone says it"
would you be annoyed if a cheat beat this?
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:27
Regular
It's also illegal to copy songs, even if you already own the album!

Eg. If you buy a CD, but want to put it onto tape for your car or walkman or whatever, you've made a copy, so it's illegal.

Same as if you buy a CD and MP3 it onto your computer.

Not many people know that. Thought I'd share it with you.
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:44
Regular
"everyone says it"
so why is iTunes available?
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:47
Regular
Do you have to pay for the songs? If not then it's illegal.
Unless they own the copyright to the songs and chose to give them away for free.
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:57
Regular
"You've upset me"
The thing is with piracy is the fact that the industry needs it!

It may seem a bit strange, and considering the fact that Piracy cost the industry 30 Million quid last year... Well it seems weird to have someone telling you that Piracy is needed by the industry, so I'll try to explain.

If we didn’t have gaming piracy then do you think that the PlayStation would have been AS big a hit? No, of course it wouldn’t. It still would have been massive but it wouldn’t have that little extra that it does at the moment. Yeah I know I’m speaking in the present tense. The PlayStation is still going strong.

I want an honest answer, who wouldn't buy, say Metal Gear Solid 2 if they saw it for a tenner. Even if I knew it was copied I would still by it! Who wouldn't? You see, cheap, good games are what people look for when they're looking for a console to plough their money into. Not specs, not graphics but decent, cheap games. And seeing as Sony have chosen to use CD's *again* with the PS2 then they're obviously going to get a bigger user base, aren't they?

Hey hang on. What if Sony actually *want* people to pirate games so more people will start buying their console? For all we know the Chief Executives of Sony could be *helping* pirates to copy games... I doubt it but it's possible...

So, at the end of the day, Piracy is needed by the gaming industry. To help sell games and shift console units.

RBS
Tue 01/05/01 at 19:59
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Edgy wrote:
> Whenever you watch a movie on TV, you often have a blank recordable
> tabe in the player with it on record. Some of you may not know this,
> but it is illegal!

It is not illegal, on certain conditions:

1) It is solely for your own personal viewing pleasure
2) The sole purpose of the recording was to enable you to watch a program screened at a time when you were unavailable
3) You only watch it once, and then wipe it.
Tue 01/05/01 at 20:02
Regular
"You've upset me"
VenomByte wrote:

It is not
> illegal, on certain conditions:

1) It is solely for your own
> personal viewing pleasure

Does that include your family?

2) The sole purpose of the recording was
> to enable you to watch a program screened at a time when you were
> unavailable

Well that's a bit obvious!

3) You only watch it once, and then wipe it.

Not very likley if it was a film, but a TV programme then maybe
Tue 01/05/01 at 20:04
Regular
"everyone says it"
YH, I believe to make .mp3 files out of existing CD's and albums that you own is legal, the whole thing with napster was that it was supplying them to people who didn't own the original material....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.