GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What possible reason for this..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/08/04 at 01:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'm building a site for someone at the moment, and I've passed the URL to some people to check, but for one person it doesn't work. He's on the same broadband service, in the same area as me, same OS. I had no trouble on NTL broadband, 56k, win98, winME, winXP -yet it won't work for this one person. Even tried pinging the domain in the DOS prompt, we got the same result, but he still couldn't view it.

Anyway, I didn't want to put this up so early, as it's not finished, but...
[URL]http://www.theloudest.co.uk/test_index.php[/URL]

Anyone have any trouble viewing that? Ignore the fact that it's not finished - I'm in the process of uploading the clever PHP stuff over the weekend, and ironing out bugs. Cheers.
Sun 15/08/04 at 01:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
For the record I can access the site from San Jose and San Francisco.

Can your friend ping this site? I don't mean resolve the IP, I mean ping and get a response. This links in with Alan's idea...
Sat 14/08/04 at 22:14
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Could be a routing error.. but it seems a bit too widespread.

Shot in the dark, but I've had a similar problem but it was caused by Norton Ad blocker not anything else.

Mainly affects XP & 98 and can range from anything like missing images to whole site failing to display!
Sat 14/08/04 at 21:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Could be a routing error.. but it seems a bit too widespread.
Sat 14/08/04 at 18:14
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
monkey_man wrote:
> I think I vaguely remember accessing the domain from his house a week
> or so ago too...

Did you have any content on the site at that time? It might be that a simple clearing of his web history and cache will allow him to visit it (if at that time you connected to a page that was either blank or no longer there).
Sat 14/08/04 at 12:55
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Probably no help to you but I had a similar problem.

I had two domains hosted on a server, 99% of people could view them apart from people on Wanadoo.

It wasn't until I moved them to another server that people could finally view them.

Strange.
Sat 14/08/04 at 12:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hmmm... wrote:
> I notice the current home page for your domain returns a 403 - Not
> authorised. I take it your friend was attempting to visit the link
> you gave and not the 'home' page ?
> It seems everyone here can see your page fine (which was your
> original question) so I guess if there is a problem it's what your
> friend is doing (or what he's using to do it with!).

monkey_man wrote:
> I made an index page at the time, and that showed up for me, so it's not > that there isn't one yet.

He's using winXp on NTL broadband, which I've used the exact same setup and had no problem. I think I vaguely remember accessing the domain from his house a week or so ago too...

Ah well, it's probably just one of those random internet things that'll clear up with no explanation from our shadow government.
Sat 14/08/04 at 11:48
"Are you sure?"
I notice the current home page for your domain returns a 403 - Not authorised. I take it your friend was attempting to visit the link you gave and not the 'home' page ?
It seems everyone here can see your page fine (which was your original question) so I guess if there is a problem it's what your friend is doing (or what he's using to do it with!).
Sat 14/08/04 at 10:28
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Turbonutter wrote:
> monkey man, your quote has no relevance to cjh's comments. His point
> is your friend might not be able to resolve the domain in the first
> place (if it is new), so he may be able to access it via IP.
>
> Get him to hit http://213.171.218.197/

Again, that's what I said. We both did "ping www.theloudest.co.uk", got the same IP address, both went there in the browser and only mine worked. The domain is about 2-3 weeks old.

EDIT: I made an index page at the time, and that showed up for me, so it's not that there isn't one yet.
Sat 14/08/04 at 10:06
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
monkey man, your quote has no relevance to cjh's comments. His point is your friend might not be able to resolve the domain in the first place (if it is new), so he may be able to access it via IP.

Get him to hit http://213.171.218.197/
Sat 14/08/04 at 09:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
cjh wrote:
> Do you know the IP address for the site? If so, ask him to try and
> view it via that number (eg http://123.456.789.0/).

monkey_man wrote:
> Even tried pinging the domain in the DOS prompt, we got the same result, but he still couldn't view it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.