GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory impressions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory'.
Mon 31/01/05 at 12:54
Regular
Initial impression - feels like an expansion pack to Pandora Tomorrow.

Visually the multi-player isn't a patch on what we have been seeing from the screenshots and videos of the single player and to be honest it hasn't really improved all that much on Pandora Tomorrow.

Gameplay wise, very similar again to the sequel, controls feel the same, character movement looks and feels the same, use of Camo looks reasonable although I can see it being an absolute pain in the ass as a Merc unless they can counter it with a pretty decent addition for them. Thermal and Night vision work the same in terms of viewing the environments, trip wires etc.

Not really a great deal to shout about. Preferred Pandora Tomorrow on LIVE simply because of the headset as a compulsory form of communication. Typing to someone telling them Gary Glitter is about to shove his guitar shaped penis up their ass for some Rock and Roll really doesn't work on any level and instead it just feels like a cheap single player mode with bots when playing online on the PC.

So meh, still looking forward to a much improved single player game, I don't think it could possibly be anymore dull or linear. Will sit tight until the Xbox release for the online play.
Mon 31/01/05 at 19:31
Regular
"Arf. Arf. Arf. Arf."
I really, really don't like the spies controlling, allthough I do prefer the mercs, just like playing a FPS, very very fun, and at times, a bit too easy to win.
Mon 31/01/05 at 13:09
Regular
I stood behind this Merc. for ages pressing all the buttons trying to work out which one was grab.

He used berserker on me :(
Mon 31/01/05 at 13:07
Regular
Zboard makes it easier but as with mos**t s**tealth games on the PC, you need a sh*t hot scheme at close hand that doesn't complicate the matter with a massive control scheme.
Mon 31/01/05 at 13:02
Regular
The controls are abysmal.

"What button was fall down from ledg-...oh I’m dead."

Looking forward to the Xbox version really, for co-op and death match.
Mon 31/01/05 at 12:59
Regular
Isn't it built on the Pandora Tomorrow engine though? Would explain the visuals.

Downloaded the demo myself on Friday, had a bash on Saturday. I just couldn't hold my own with the keyboard and mouse - it really is a controller game.

As for Camo, the EMV can capture it, which in my opinion, allows for more use of said vision mode. In PT, I never used EMV and could still kick ass. Now it'll be more of a requirement than an option.

I can see it shaping up quite nicely for Xbox Live.

The new map was a little samey though - it all looked like the bit you had just ran through, meaning I was a little 'wtf?' most of the time :D
Mon 31/01/05 at 12:54
Regular
Initial impression - feels like an expansion pack to Pandora Tomorrow.

Visually the multi-player isn't a patch on what we have been seeing from the screenshots and videos of the single player and to be honest it hasn't really improved all that much on Pandora Tomorrow.

Gameplay wise, very similar again to the sequel, controls feel the same, character movement looks and feels the same, use of Camo looks reasonable although I can see it being an absolute pain in the ass as a Merc unless they can counter it with a pretty decent addition for them. Thermal and Night vision work the same in terms of viewing the environments, trip wires etc.

Not really a great deal to shout about. Preferred Pandora Tomorrow on LIVE simply because of the headset as a compulsory form of communication. Typing to someone telling them Gary Glitter is about to shove his guitar shaped penis up their ass for some Rock and Roll really doesn't work on any level and instead it just feels like a cheap single player mode with bots when playing online on the PC.

So meh, still looking forward to a much improved single player game, I don't think it could possibly be anymore dull or linear. Will sit tight until the Xbox release for the online play.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.