GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XP Service Pack 2"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/08/04 at 14:21
Regular
It's now officially out and if you want it without the need of using Windows Update you can get it here:

[URL]http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xpsp2.html[/URL]

It's 266 Mb so get downloading :P
Sat 21/08/04 at 14:03
Regular
"Yes you are"
So is it 'safe' and worth getting then?

It is available through Windows Update, but only of you have Automatic Updates turned on. You can't select it from the usual list.

I'm pointing at v5, but there's been a lot of people on the eBay forums saying that it's trashed their system.

I'm wondering if it's worth the risk?
Tue 17/08/04 at 23:36
Regular
"you've got a beard"
word of warning though people: a mate of mine downloaded from that link and installed sp2 and it totally botched a LOAD of stuff up. none of the start menu worked, all the desktop icons stopped working and the only things he could get to run were championship manager and MSN... which he used to ask me to go and try to take sp2 off again :S

to be fair though, his PC is nuts and seems to have hassles with everything, but do be careful when installing it...

EDIT - if this DOES happen to you, change the start menu to "classic" style and you can use the "set program access and defaults" to get to the add/remove list and get rid of sp2, that's how we fixed it anyways...
Tue 17/08/04 at 21:12
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
It installs on XP home fine, my computers now work!! Its amazing
Tue 17/08/04 at 17:24
Regular
"Freeola Support"
Scope wrote:
> The official single computer one which isnt out yet or the IT pro's
> and network engineer's version which most people have gobbled up like
> its the version they are supposed to be using due to their
> impatience?
> They make themselves look nerdy :S
Hmm better firewall protection and Internet Explorer that doesn't attempt to install everything like spyware in one go, I think I'll stick to being a nerd with less popups and spyware :P
Mon 16/08/04 at 23:28
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Scope wrote:
> The official single computer one which isnt out yet or the IT pro's
> and network engineer's version which most people have gobbled up like
> its the version they are supposed to be using due to their
> impatience?
> They make themselves look nerdy :S

It;s designed for distribution across networks like any other update. SP1 was the same. All it means is instead of waiting for it to download automatically, you can download it as a single installer to give you more control over the deployment over large corporate networks.

Anyonw who owns one of those SP1 CD's that firms put out with new PC's have exactly the same thing but for when SP1 first came about.

I received mine through my MSDN subscription (some of us do receive these things through the proper channels!) even though I only have a single licence, why?, because there's very little difference between the one available now and the future "domestic" release. All this version does is allow me control as to when it installs instead of switching on my PC one day and find windows update is doing it for me. It also allows me the chance to test it thourouly before deploying it, something network engineers have bneen doing for months.

FWIW 1, The official release came out over 3 weeks ago. People like DELL, Compaq etc have been installing it on new PC's for weeks. Manufacturers and resellers were the first to get this update.

FWIW 2, I have only installed this on XP Pro. I would suggest waiting for the domestic/Home version before going at it hammer and tongs as there are a lot of differences between WinXP Home and WinXP Pro
Mon 16/08/04 at 23:12
Regular
The official single computer one which isnt out yet or the IT pro's and network engineer's version which most people have gobbled up like its the version they are supposed to be using due to their impatience?
They make themselves look nerdy :S
Mon 16/08/04 at 22:22
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
SP2 installed with no problems apart from StyleXP doesn't work with various builds of XP after SP2 has been installed
Mon 16/08/04 at 21:16
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
phi11ip wrote:
> Downloading something now, just, um, don't know what...

That might be the new download software. I recently noticed that a new item 'Automatic Updates' is now under my control panel. Clicking it brings up a download centre that refers to, surprisingly, automatic updates of Windows.

I think it is designed to handle updates easier, as well as enable people to download chunks at a time, rather than as one whole block.
Mon 16/08/04 at 20:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Just to honour Tony's visit, I'd like to make myself known that I will NOT be installing SP2 until I reformat my computer, because I cain my TCP/IP stack and I don't want to have to deal with SP2's limitations.
Mon 16/08/04 at 20:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh my god TONY!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.