GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Networking Computers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/08/04 at 13:45
Regular
"the burning sky"
Right I have two desktop computers in different rooms, one running XP and another running Win98, and I want to set up a network between the two. I plan to get two cards, but am a little unsure about what type of cable i need. Obviously Cat5, but there are two types, so some advice on that would be nice. Also I am wondering about whether there will be any difficulty due to the different opperating systems. Also will each computer require a logon system or anything like that? Finally do i need to enforce any other security measures such as firewalls or anything like that. I cant see myself having to tho'. Any other advice is appreciated...
Cheers
Thu 19/08/04 at 18:08
Regular
"the burning sky"
Turbonutter wrote:
> You want to add a printer in 98 as \\[ip address]\[printer share name]

Add I do that how?
Thu 19/08/04 at 18:05
Regular
"the burning sky"
While i'm here these are the problems that come up on startup;

1)
AsmiHwlo
Cant open kernal driver as LM75.sys

2)
AsGetDmi
Can't Load AsmiHwIo.dll

Any ideas what these are all about?
Fri 13/08/04 at 20:52
Regular
"the burning sky"
Ok cheers, for that. Meenwhile on my bros XP comp it comes up with some missing Dll's for some reason. Maybe some problem with the install... and also a problem opening icons and folders, which he says never happened before... but i cant see how that occured...
Fri 13/08/04 at 20:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You want to add a printer in 98 as \\[ip address]\[printer share name]
Fri 13/08/04 at 16:34
Regular
"the burning sky"
I get a timeout message of some sort, and i am unable to view the status of the printer itself...

Anyway, were just trying to get a load of LAN games going. SO far we've played a few games of Red Alert, and are currently trying to get Half-Life/TeamFortress/CounterStrike going, which is proving to be quite difficult. Any recommendations of any other good LAN enabled games?
Fri 13/08/04 at 14:25
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What message do you get when you try to print?
Fri 13/08/04 at 13:08
Regular
"the burning sky"
I've done it but not the way you suggested. I used the XP wizard, and created a setup disk for the 98 computer, and it works, we've transferred a load of files. The only real problem is that the 98 comp wont let me use the XP printer, but that may be because it is out of ink or something...
Fri 13/08/04 at 12:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The WOL cables aren't necessary. Now you have to plug in your crossover cable between them, then open the properties for each computer's network card (in Network Connections), go to TCP/IP properties, assign each one a unique IP (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 will do fine), and you should be sorted.
Fri 13/08/04 at 12:04
Regular
"the burning sky"
Ooops double post...
Fri 13/08/04 at 12:03
Regular
"the burning sky"
Right, all the stuff arrived today. I've fitted both cards, but not a WOL cable? And installed the drivers on both computers. I have absolutely no idea what to do next...

Edit: just had a thought, i dont log onto this computer properly (i just press escape, because my bro forgot his password) could that pose a problem with the network. How do i go about retreiving the password, or creating a user if i need to?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.