GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Victory & Vampirism"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/07/04 at 16:28
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Every victory feeds off the disappointment and the frustration of somebody else's failure; thus it could be said that to rejoice in the success of victory is to rejoice in the suffering of others. To revel directly in victory is to subject those 'on the losing side' to a form of psychological violence: the V of victory becomes the V of vampirism.

How accurate would you say this statement is?
Mon 19/07/04 at 19:53
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Yes, I think I did mean psychological. Eyes changed it.

Paradox: wrote: >
> How about personal victories? Such as writing a novel, going on a
> diet and reaching a target weight, hell even something as simple and
> getting laid for the first time.

Yes, I suppose there are victories over oneself, but usually to be a victor points to the fact that you have surpassed others - left others in your wake - put others in their place: does anybody really do anything soley for their own reasons; I suspect most strive to do things in order to prove others wrong. If my novel is published, for instance, that will probably mean someone else's work will be rejected in favour of mine. Victory is a limited space.
Mon 19/07/04 at 19:43
"period drama"
Unless you're not actually competing against anyone.
Mon 19/07/04 at 19:31
Regular
"Psychic violence" - is that like Russel Grant beaming telepathic flowers of evil?
Mon 19/07/04 at 18:03
Regular
"SOUP!"
The statement, as can be said of most statements, is true to a point.

How about personal victories? Such as writing a novel, going on a diet and reaching a target weight, hell even something as simple and getting laid for the first time. None of those things revel in the victories of someone else. Writing a novel doesnt make any other person break down and cry unless you ripped off their idea. Being happier about your appearance doesnt harm anyone else, and in getting laid for the first time nobody loses anything besides virginity, which is generally good to lose unless you're devoutly religious.
Mon 19/07/04 at 16:40
Regular
"I love Dave music"
You are assuming that losing = failure. I think that would be a hard one to argue to be honest. There are so many situations where someone can lose graciously/heroically and possibly even gain more from the experience than the victor. I know that it's a cliche but you do learn from your mistakes!

You learn very little from a victory, but from a loss you can learn where you need to improve.

Revelling in a victory is something else entirely. If I am gracious in defeat then I expect my victor to be gracious in victory. If they aren't (and I have experienced this directly - it's not nice) then it is a form of violence. Not sure about psychic - is that the word you meant, not psychological?

GL
Mon 19/07/04 at 16:28
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Every victory feeds off the disappointment and the frustration of somebody else's failure; thus it could be said that to rejoice in the success of victory is to rejoice in the suffering of others. To revel directly in victory is to subject those 'on the losing side' to a form of psychological violence: the V of victory becomes the V of vampirism.

How accurate would you say this statement is?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.