GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's all about software- PS2 doesn't have what it takes!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/06/00 at 19:09
Regular
Loads of people are saying that the PS2 will completely destroy every other system. Just looking at what Sony says that the system can do shows this. The system has a DVD player, will support high speed internet access and boasts to be the best console ever.

There's one problem though... The games are rubbish!

Let's take a look at the hype that Sony is throwing out about its system. They say the games will mark a revolution in gaming. Looking at the demos of Tekken Tag Tournament you'd be right to agree with them aswell- the demo showed 80 people on screen all generated in real time! But in the final game no such level made it on there. In fact, the backgrounds are still detached like the 5 year old original Tekken, and the game has loads of Jaggy edges (due to the PS2's poor Atni-Aliasing). In any case, the game is no more than Tekken 3 with better graphics.

And how about the other games? Sure Ridge Racer 5 looks nice, but try with 2 players, and the background detail drops to almost the level of the PSX! Like Tekken, the game is just a prettier version of its PSX original.

So how about the PS2's other features? Well, as for the DVD player, this has caused Sony loads of problems. First the had to recall the DVD driver discs, and almost got into a legal battle with holywood. Now Sony are finding that so many people have bought the PS2 just as a DVD player that PS2 sales in Japan are only at 7.8% of the total market, compared to the 49% on release!

This just all goes to show that whatever gimmicks companies throw around, all that really matters in the end is the games. The PS2's line-up has some good games, but these are no better than the Dreamcast equivalants. Maybe that's why the Dreamcast is in total domination of the American games market. With games like Shenmue, Metropolis Street Racer and Jet Set Radio, it looks like the DC is the choice for gamers. Sure the PS2 has a DVD player, and may become a set top box, but wasn't there another console like that called the 3DO once upon a time?
Mon 18/06/01 at 15:26
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
When the PS1 was released, everyone was amazed at the graphics. Even the MD and Snes people were. Ridge Racer had better graphics than anything else out there at the time.

Nowadays you look at ridge 4 on the PS1 and compare the two, and the graphical difference is amazing.

Its the generations thing. Ridge 1 was a generation 1 game. The developers now know what they can do with the machine, and have learned tricks to get the best out of it. They make a game, then look at it and think "well, for the next one lets try and do this" and then work out how to do it. the games get better all the time.

PS2 is still in it's first generation. Ridge 5 does look quite tasty, and is a much better looker than Ridge 4, but its a release game. By the time Ridge 8 is out youll all be saying about how shoddy Ridge 5 looked, i bet you!

Give the PS2 a bit of time, and you'll see some really nice looking games for it. The Getaway is looking very nice, but the sequal will shock us all, and the same goes for GT3, Tekken, SSX, Timesplitters, all of them.

You cannot judge the PS2 on its release games. Even though Timesplitters, Tekken, DOA2 and so many more current PS2 games are great, whats in store is looking far more exciting.
Sun 17/06/01 at 14:42
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I MUST POINT OUT ONE THING! LOOK AT THE DATE! This was posted last year! Before the PS2 came out over here!

I decided to go all the way back throught the posts to find my oldest topic... and this was it!

but resevilfan makes good points ignoring all of the above!

Sonic

Resevilfan wrote:
> The PS2 has no real problems with it's anti analising, it's just got
> a bad reputation for third party devolpers not knowing how to really
> program for it yet.

Check out the new games instead of the
> incredibly RUSHED launch titles and you'll see exactly what i
> mean.

The Japanese version of the console has a bad DVD player
> which isn't compatible with a long list of discs and requires a
> driver card to run it, We have the driver built in and it runs ALL
> dvd's perfectly.

You obviously haven't seen very much of the PS2
> or you would know alot more than what your trying to say,I sold off
> my dreamcast which had some nice games on it but just does not
> compare to the PS2. I recommend you head down to EB and have a good
> look at the PS2 on display.
Sun 17/06/01 at 12:00
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Ahhh......two apologies.
Sun 17/06/01 at 11:59
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well done Turbo. You certainly struck fear into him. A very quick answer plus an apology.
Sun 17/06/01 at 11:58
i

will. sorry!

again
Sun 17/06/01 at 11:53
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Remember in future.
Sun 17/06/01 at 11:42
paragraphs, sorry i was writing fast
Sun 17/06/01 at 11:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Make a choice: Paragraphs or pain.
Sun 17/06/01 at 11:33
this is a reply to the original message -

Yes the games were rubbish, WERE rubbish. But that was only to be expected. The playstation 2 is very hard for the games developers to program and so it was going to take some getting used to wasnt it. Anyway you seem to of left the good games out of your message such as SSX and timesplitters. And you left out the future of ps2, ok the games were rubbish at the start but ps2's just warming up! Just look at the upcoming titles such as Gran turismo 3 - that has a two player option and even a widescreen picture for both players if you have a big tv, but the graphics are the same as the 1 player mode, proving that it is improving. You said the upcoming titles only look as good as dreamcast games, well you play on the dreamcast with shenmue then (which is probably very good) but i think i'll stick with the ps2 and play games such as The Getaway, timesplitters 2, smugglers run 2, metal gear solid 2, tekken 4, gran turismo 4 ........ The list is endless and no offence to dreamcast fans but ps2 is and always will be better, The standard of playstation always has and thats why they invented the bleemcast- so that dreamcast fans can play playstions brilliant games. Im not trying to say dreamcast is rubbish because there are some brilliant games on it, im simply saying dont say dreamcast is better than ps2 (coz its not and that annoys me) Most people like you havnt played any of the games anyway, and so cannot just assume the whole console is a failure.You dont care about gameplay or anything like that you just see it as a console war which you think you have to fight in, and it may well be for the companys, but for us it should just mean gaming is getting better and better
Sat 16/06/01 at 23:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Resevilfan wrote:
The Japanese version of the console has a bad DVD player
> which isn't compatible with a long list of discs and requires a driver card to run it, We have the driver built in and it runs ALL dvd's perfectly.

Driver card is not needed any more as the new version of the PS2 came out months and months ago in Japan. They have a PS2 like ours.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.